LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Charge would be my call
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
There is nothing that official could possibly say to properly explain the call. He simply missed it. Anything he would say would be blowing smoke.

Sometimes, the relevant action in the video is obscured or from a very poor angle such that there might have been something else that the video didn't reveal. That is not so in this case. We can clearly see where everyone was and what everyone was doing. Some calls are just wrong. This is one of them.
OK, you may very well be right looking at it from the angle of the video. It does appear the defender is going backwards. Unless the calling official comes on here or other outlet to explain it we'll never know why he called a block.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick View Post
OK, you may very well be right looking at it from the angle of the video. It does appear the defender is going backwards. Unless the calling official comes on here or other outlet to explain it we'll never know why he called a block.
Really? It also appears the sun is bright but it might not be.

Use your imagination....

What could the defender possibly have done that we couldn't see in the video that would make it a block? What could the official, if he was looking at the defender as he should have been, possibly have seen the defender do that would make it a block?
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

PC. Defender gained LGP. Offensive player went directly through the defender's torso.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 01:59pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
When I look at video, I'm looking at the play and determining what I would call, and where I would put myself in the best position to make that call.

Making excuses for my own bad call, or another official's bad call, doesn't help in the learning process.

My thinking, this official went into the locker room and immediately told his crew, "damn I kicked f'ing block call", or watches the video and says "damn, WTF was I thinking on that play".
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Really? It also appears the sun is bright but it might not be.

Use your imagination....

What could the defender possibly have done that we couldn't see in the video that would make it a block? What could the official, if he was looking at the defender as he should have been, possibly have seen the defender do that would make it a block?
Yes really.
And btw, as to your questions, I believe I was pretty clear in already explaining what the calling official might have seen from his angle as to why he called the play a block. Go back and read them if you dare. If you disagree with what I posted, fine, no problem. If you don't like it, that's just too bad for you. Go seek out that calling official and pick his brain. (rolling my eyes)

Last edited by Adam; Thu Feb 20, 2014 at 06:05pm. Reason: personal shot
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
When I look at video, I'm looking at the play and determining what I would call, and where I would put myself in the best position to make that call.

OK, I agree

Making excuses for my own bad call, or another official's bad call, doesn't help in the learning process.

True. Posters are wondering how I or the calling official could see this as a block instead of a charge. I gave what MIGHT be how I or that official determined the play to be a block. That's not an excuse, that's a straight reply. You can disagree and that's fine. The only real way to find out is to seek out that official and ask him.

My thinking, this official went into the locker room and immediately told his crew, "damn I kicked f'ing block call", or watches the video and says "damn, WTF was I thinking on that play".
Maybe he did. Have you ever done that?
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 05:21pm
Administrator

Quote:
Yes really. It does appear that your an official but you might be a coach in disguise.
And btw, as to your questions, I believe I was pretty clear in already explaining what the calling official might have seen from his angle as to why he called the play a block. Go back and read them if you dare. If you disagree with what I posted, fine, no problem. If you don't like it, that's just too bad for you. Go seek out that calling official and pick his brain. (rolling my eyes)

Stick:

I hate to burst your bubble but it was a charge and the L missed the call. People in this forum that when it is Guarding/Screening (block/charge) that I am the go to guy. And I will very very very rarely question an official's judgement call I will if he misses a block/charge because it is the easiest call in the book to make.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. The Kansas-Texas thread and John Adam's comments really has my blood boiling.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 06:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You could be right but until you hear an explanation from that official that's only projecting.
No, projecting is what you're doing in trying to figure out why he called it. Video shows he was wrong. That's analysis.

(actually, "projecting" is something else entirely, but your comments were closer than his)
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Stick:

I hate to burst your bubble but it was a charge and the L missed the call. People in this forum that when it is Guarding/Screening (block/charge) that I am the go to guy. And I will very very very rarely question an official's judgement call I will if he misses a block/charge because it is the easiest call in the book to make.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. The Kansas-Texas thread and John Adam's comments really has my blood boiling.
FWIW, I'm not challenging yours or anyone elses view on that. If I was that official I may have called it that way also. I was asked to explain to a coach how it could be a block. I only offered what it might be. I can't speak for the calling official.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes really.
You prior claims of what he might have seen are not even in the ballpark of possibilities. You might as well claim he might have seen the defender punch him in the nose, pull his shorts down, and spit in his face.

There are certainly calls that are debatable and this really is not one of them even though you keep trying.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
No, projecting is what you're doing in trying to figure out why he called it. Video shows he was wrong. That's analysis.

(actually, "projecting" is something else entirely, but your comments were closer than his)
Of course I'm projecting Adam. But recall, I was ASKED to explain how it could be a block. I only offered what MIGHT be an explanation.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You prior claims of what he might have seen are not even in the ballpark of possibilities. You might as well claim he might have seen the defender punch him in the nose, pull his shorts down, and spit in his face.

There are certainly calls that are debatable and this really is not one of them even though you keep trying.
LOL A true funny man you are. And fwiw, I'm not debating or challenging anyones version of the call at all. Only answering what I was asked. No need for you make it personal.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 06:58pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Maybe he did. Have you ever done that?
Of course I have. Anybody official worth their salt has done that. You need to be your own worst critic.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 07:50pm
Administrator

Quote:
FWIW, I'm not challenging yours or anyone elses view on that. If I was that official I may have called it that way also. I was asked to explain to a coach how it could be a block. I only offered what it might be. I can't speak for the calling official.

If I were evaluating you and you called it a block I would have told you were wrong and to review the rule book and referee defense from now on.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Closed Thread