Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'm guessing the call was made because either a) the official just missed it or b) the official buys into the "must be set" myth.
I know there are several who do those kinds of things. There is one "big dawg" in our group who likes to make stuff up outside the rules on things like this and other things because that is the way he thinks the game should be played fior whatever reason. He's a very good and highly accomplished official in general which allows him to get away with it but at the same time makes it hard for the rest since no one can ever pin down what variations from the rules should and should not be made and when they should be. It is a moving target that can't ever lead to consistency.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Every step he took is a back pedal. How was he moving into him?
OK I can see that from the video and I don't disagree with you. But in reality the official who made the call is looking at the play from a different view and may have seen it differently. He certainly didn't hesitate on making his call.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 01:19pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick View Post
OK I can see that from the video and I don't disagree with you. But in reality the official who made the call is looking at the play from a different view and may have seen it differently. He certainly didn't hesitate on making his call.
Go back and watch the video again. This time, watch nothing but the L. Don't look at the play, watch only the Lead official.

He never even looks at the defender. He is watching the offensive player, and then his eyes go up to watch the ball. He has no clue whether the defender had LGP or not...so he blows this call because he did not pick up the defender like he should have.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 01:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
"Coach, he was moving into him"
That's what you saw on the video?
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Go back and watch the video again. This time, watch nothing but the L. Don't look at the play, watch only the Lead official.

He never even looks at the defender. He is watching the offensive player, and then his eyes go up to watch the ball. He has no clue whether the defender had LGP or not...so he blows this call because he did not pick up the defender like he should have.
OK I can agree with that. But in reality the official who made the call is the one who is better suited to explain the call.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 02:15pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
OK I can agree with that. But in reality the official who made the call is the one who is better suited to explain the call.
And in reality his explanation will be wrong because the call is wrong.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 04:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Tough call to make. The replay does show the defender moving upon impact. The official made a god call afaict.
Quote:
Yes, but I was asking you why you were agreeing with the official that it was a block. Your explanation of "Coach, he was moving into him" does not match what is on the video.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not sure what angle a person could possibly have that would make it appear that the defender was moving into the shooter. I'm shocked that anyone even for a moment even thinks about the possibility of a block on this play.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 05:10pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I'm not sure what angle a person could possibly have that would make it appear that the defender was moving into the shooter. I'm shocked that anyone even for a moment even thinks about the possibility of a block on this play.

Camron:

I agree with you 100%. But I will say that I have made this charge call from the lead many many times. It really is not a bad position to make the call of one is refereeing the defense.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Yes, but I was asking you why you were agreeing with the official that it was a block. Your explanation of "Coach, he was moving into him" does not match what is on the video.
Uhm sir, with all due respect, you did not ask why I agree with the official who made the block call. The questions you asked were as follows: Moving in what manner? If a coach asked you why you called a block would you be able to explain it to him? And what would your explanation be? That's what you saw on the video?
Now that we've established that, I will admit my statements are strictly coming from the angle that the calling official had. It's what he MIGHT have seen and how he MIGHT have explained it to a coach. Since I neglected to state it that way initially, it's totally my fault. Remember the calling official doesn't have the same angle as the video does.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That's why I stated the calling official is the one who can explain it best.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And in reality his explanation will be wrong because the call is wrong.
You could be right but until you hear an explanation from that official that's only projecting.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

OK I can understand what your saying and I'm not disagreeing with you. To call a block that official saw something that to him determined it to be a block. What that was only he knows.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 06:06pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
What that was only he knows.
I think that is pretty clear.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Quote:
That's why I stated the calling official is the one who can explain it best.
Quote:
You could be right but until you hear an explanation from that official that's only projecting.
There is nothing that official could possibly say to properly explain the call. He simply missed it. Anything he would say would be blowing smoke.

Sometimes, the relevant action in the video is obscured or from a very poor angle such that there might have been something else that the video didn't reveal. That is not so in this case. We can clearly see where everyone was and what everyone was doing. Some calls are just wrong. This is one of them.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Feb 19, 2014 at 08:24pm.
Closed Thread