The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Block Charge play (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97291-block-charge-play-video.html)

referee99 Sun Feb 16, 2014 01:53pm

Block Charge play (Video)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mqOBXi_u1RI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thoughts?

JetMetFan Sun Feb 16, 2014 01:57pm

The thought is...even at real speed the defender didn't do anything illegal.

stick Sun Feb 16, 2014 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 923113)
The thought is...even at real speed the defender didn't do anything illegal.

Tough call to make. The replay does show the defender moving upon impact. The official made a god call afaict.

Raymond Sun Feb 16, 2014 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stick (Post 923115)
Tough call to make. The replay does show the defender moving upon impact. The official made a god call afaict.

Moving in what manner? If a coach asked you why you called a block on this play, would you be able to explain it to him?

Freddy Sun Feb 16, 2014 02:55pm

Counterpoint

Quote:

:eek:

A) Yes, the defender was moving upon, even prior to impact -- legally, having establishing LGP.

B) The official did not make a god call, as it was incorrect and God doesn't make mistakes. :)

C) I know a handful of languages, but am having trouble translating "god call afaict." A little help here? :confused:

Ref16 Sun Feb 16, 2014 03:07pm

Quote:

LGP was established, he is allowed to move!!!

In my opinion, the official blew this one...I would have had a charge.

JRutledge Sun Feb 16, 2014 03:19pm

This is a PC Foul all the way. And yes you can move once establishing LGP and this defender was moving backwards.

Peace

Freddy Sun Feb 16, 2014 03:28pm

Classic Situation of.......

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 923123)
This is a PC Foul all the way. And yes you can move once establishing LGP and this defender was moving backwards.

Peace

Agree.
The video wasn't real clear to enable us to verify where the official's eyes were during the drive, but this bears all the indications of one of those times when his eyes were on the dribbler and not on the defender. LGP just seemed to be too obvious to miss, unless there's something about the angle of the camera I'm missing.

AremRed Sun Feb 16, 2014 04:32pm

CURSOR....I mean block. Looks like the defender moved sideways when the offensive player was airborne. Could have been a slip PC had the defender not moved, but we will never know.

Camron Rust Sun Feb 16, 2014 05:46pm

Charge. Defender was there well before contact and did nothing wrong.

eyezen Sun Feb 16, 2014 05:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 923119)

C) I know a handful of languages, but am having trouble translating "god call afaict." A little help here? :confused:

The OP is saying "good (sic) call as far as i can tell"

TimTaylor Sun Feb 16, 2014 06:40pm

I have a PC foul - as others have said, defender clearly established LGP and didn't do anything wrong.

Rob1968 Sun Feb 16, 2014 07:04pm

PC fatrm - for all the reasons mentioned.:)

onetime1 Sun Feb 16, 2014 09:05pm

PC foul all the way. It looks to me that the offensive player with the ball simply slams into and runs over the defensive player like a run away freight train.

Welpe Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:00pm

Add me to the PC conga line.