The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Coach (eventually) ejected

GV area game. Team A getting whipped by 20+ all game. In the 4th quarter, Coach A blows up and uses profanity at U1. He calls the T and he and I begin getting the free throw shooter, etc. U2 goes to A's bench to sit coach A down. Coach A says she's done and walks off her bench and into A's locker room near her bench at the end of the court. She was not ejected, she just left. Assistant coach is instructed he must remain seated for remainder of the game and we play on. After a few minutes, original Coach A comes back and starts standing and coaching again. U2 steps over to remind her she must now sit, to which she replied, "I ain't gotta do nothing!" U2 assesses her second T and ejects her.

Should we have assessed the second T when she left the bench (unsporting)? She didn't "show out" when she left...she just left.
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 12:37pm
TODO: creative title here

I think you could've called a second technical when the coach left under 10-4-1e, 10-4-1f, 10-5-1 (the coach left the bench for a reason not allowed by rule).

Not sure if I would have or not though... of course, in your situation, the situation resolved itself rather quickly anyway.
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

I would not call the 2nd T for the coach quietly leaving the gym and leaving their assistant in charge.
Old Sun Feb 09, 2014, 08:23pm
Stubborn Member

If she left quietly, then I wouldn't bother with doing anything. I think you guys handled things right.

BTW, whether or not there was a technical foul against the head coach, the assistant is not allowed to stand. He/she is still an assistant coach, and only head coaches can stand.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

1. Using profanity towards an official probably should have been ruled a flagrant technical in the first place and DQ'd the coach right then.

2. If the head coach leaves the bench for an unauthorized reason, the appropriate technical foul most certainly should be assessed.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 12:04am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
1. Using profanity towards an official probably should have been ruled a flagrant technical in the first place and DQ'd the coach right then.
Profanity = Flagrant?

I sure should have a lot of ejections in my career then.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Profanity = Flagrant?
No, incidental profanity can be a warning or a normal T, but at the HS level there is no place for directing such at an official or an opponent. That is what the OP wrote took place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Whitten View Post
GV area game. Team A getting whipped by 20+ all game. In the 4th quarter, Coach A blows up and uses profanity at U1.
Obviously the standard is different at the college and pro levels.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Reminds me of when Ricky Birdsong was coaching at Northwestern and he decided to go sit with the crowd in the second half one time.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

2. If the head coach leaves the bench for an unauthorized reason, the appropriate technical foul most certainly should be assessed.
Is there any support in the book for swearing by a coach to be an ejection? I like it and want to look at it more closely as the right option.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 02:13pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Is there any support in the book for swearing by a coach to be an ejection? I like it and want to look at it more closely as the right option.
Define "swearing".
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 03:14pm
Official & Member

Animal House...c.1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Define "swearing".
I (state your name) do hereby pledge allegiance to the frat...
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

This happened in a college game about 25 years ago -- Nolan Richardson of Arkansas left the bench, then came back when it went into OT. It was clear then and now that a technical should have been assessed when the coach left. If nothing else, its unsporting.

I really don't see how you can let this slide. If the coach leaving is his or her first technical, then they can return to the bench. But if they've been assessed one T already and leave, assess another one and make sure they stay gone. Nothing good comes from them coming back.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 03:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Whitten View Post
GV area game. Team A getting whipped by 20+ all game. In the 4th quarter, Coach A blows up and uses profanity at U1. He calls the T and he and I begin getting the free throw shooter, etc. U2 goes to A's bench to sit coach A down. Coach A says she's done and walks off her bench and into A's locker room near her bench at the end of the court. She was not ejected, she just left. Assistant coach is instructed he must remain seated for remainder of the game and we play on. After a few minutes, original Coach A comes back and starts standing and coaching again. U2 steps over to remind her she must now sit, to which she replied, "I ain't gotta do nothing!" U2 assesses her second T and ejects her.

Should we have assessed the second T when she left the bench (unsporting)? She didn't "show out" when she left...she just left.
Honestly, I would have done the same thing. Sure, you could issue her second T when she leaves (leaving the bench area), and some may say you should. I couldn't argue with that, I just don't know that I would have. Worst case scenario, she comes back and does/says something stupid. You can deal with that when it happens.

That said, if the powers that be in your area want this called when she leaves, then do it that way. Otherwise, I wouldn't go looking for trouble.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Define "swearing".
Hmmm I guess if coach called you a F... idiot?
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 03:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Hmmm I guess if coach called you a F... idiot?
If a coach says, "T, that was a bullsh!5 call", you are giving them a flagrant T for swearing?