The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Head Coach Ejected

My association had a meeting last night and a subject came up about an incident that occured at one of our games this past weekend. A head coach was ejected, and later in the game one of the assistant coached tried to call a timeout. The referee would not grant it as only the head coach can call a timeout. That led to parents and fans cursing the officials and the players of that team throwing their helmets on the field. When the coaches insisted on arguing about getting the timeout, a delay of game was called. Then when the coaches refused to leave the field, the game was forfeited. At our meeting the room seemed to be divided among officials who think that an assistant can assume the head coaching duties which includes calling a timeout, and those who thought the white hat did the right thing. Any opinions? I'd really like to get a rule reference if there is one.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe
My association had a meeting last night and a subject came up about an incident that occured at one of our games this past weekend. A head coach was ejected, and later in the game one of the assistant coached tried to call a timeout. The referee would not grant it as only the head coach can call a timeout. That led to parents and fans cursing the officials and the players of that team throwing their helmets on the field. When the coaches insisted on arguing about getting the timeout, a delay of game was called. Then when the coaches refused to leave the field, the game was forfeited. At our meeting the room seemed to be divided among officials who think that an assistant can assume the head coaching duties which includes calling a timeout, and those who thought the white hat did the right thing. Any opinions? I'd really like to get a rule reference if there is one.
After the ejection, I would have informed the assistant that he can't call a timeout and that he needs to tell his captains to do it.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Fed Rules:

No rule reference. Only a casebook reference.

3.5.2 Situation B
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Only the head coach can call a time out and the referee was correct in not granting one to the asst coach but once any coach asks for a time out, the players on the field pick up on that and also ask for a time out, which would be granted. I can't see how this became an issue in a game.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Verticalstripes nailed it. In the OP, since the assistant wasn't informed at the time of the ejection, you could have told him to have one of his players request the TO.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, the coaches were more interested in arguing than communicating with their players, so no player ever called a timeout.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Instead of arguing with the assistant, all the crew had to do is turn to a player and say, "would you like a time out?". Problem solved - no forfeit.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

No ejections when the players threw their helmets? Hmm.

Jim's advice is sound. This whole situation could have been avoided with a little proactivity from the officials.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

When the players started throwing helmets he forfeited the game. He had already ejected the head coach at that point and the assistants wouldn't leave the field.
Old Fri Oct 27, 2006, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

When you say "leave the field," I'm guessing you mean inside the playing area?

Otherwise, I don't understand why they would have to leave the field if the game is still going on unless they were ejected.
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe
At our meeting the room seemed to be divided among officials who think that an assistant can assume the head coaching duties which includes calling a timeout, and those who thought the white hat did the right thing.
Half the room needs to do a better job learning the rules!
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Yes, I mean they wouldn't leave the playing area.