The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Coach (eventually) ejected (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97228-coach-eventually-ejected.html)

Chris Whitten Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:53am

Coach (eventually) ejected

GV area game. Team A getting whipped by 20+ all game. In the 4th quarter, Coach A blows up and uses profanity at U1. He calls the T and he and I begin getting the free throw shooter, etc. U2 goes to A's bench to sit coach A down. Coach A says she's done and walks off her bench and into A's locker room near her bench at the end of the court. She was not ejected, she just left. Assistant coach is instructed he must remain seated for remainder of the game and we play on. After a few minutes, original Coach A comes back and starts standing and coaching again. U2 steps over to remind her she must now sit, to which she replied, "I ain't gotta do nothing!" U2 assesses her second T and ejects her.

Should we have assessed the second T when she left the bench (unsporting)? She didn't "show out" when she left...she just left.

jTheUmp Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:37pm

I think you could've called a second technical when the coach left under 10-4-1e, 10-4-1f, 10-5-1 (the coach left the bench for a reason not allowed by rule).

Not sure if I would have or not though... of course, in your situation, the situation resolved itself rather quickly anyway.

Camron Rust Sun Feb 09, 2014 01:08pm

I would not call the 2nd T for the coach quietly leaving the gym and leaving their assistant in charge.

BryanV21 Sun Feb 09, 2014 08:23pm

If she left quietly, then I wouldn't bother with doing anything. I think you guys handled things right.

BTW, whether or not there was a technical foul against the head coach, the assistant is not allowed to stand. He/she is still an assistant coach, and only head coaches can stand.

Nevadaref Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:01am

1. Using profanity towards an official probably should have been ruled a flagrant technical in the first place and DQ'd the coach right then.

2. If the head coach leaves the bench for an unauthorized reason, the appropriate technical foul most certainly should be assessed.

Raymond Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 922051)
1. Using profanity towards an official probably should have been ruled a flagrant technical in the first place and DQ'd the coach right then.

Profanity = Flagrant?

I sure should have a lot of ejections in my career then.

Nevadaref Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 922052)
Profanity = Flagrant?

No, incidental profanity can be a warning or a normal T, but at the HS level there is no place for directing such at an official or an opponent. That is what the OP wrote took place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Whitten (Post 921978)
GV area game. Team A getting whipped by 20+ all game. In the 4th quarter, Coach A blows up and uses profanity at U1.

Obviously the standard is different at the college and pro levels.

SE Minnestoa Re Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:58pm

Reminds me of when Ricky Birdsong was coaching at Northwestern and he decided to go sit with the crowd in the second half one time.

BigT Mon Feb 10, 2014 01:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 922051)

2. If the head coach leaves the bench for an unauthorized reason, the appropriate technical foul most certainly should be assessed.

Is there any support in the book for swearing by a coach to be an ejection? I like it and want to look at it more closely as the right option.

Rich Mon Feb 10, 2014 02:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 922158)
Is there any support in the book for swearing by a coach to be an ejection? I like it and want to look at it more closely as the right option.

Define "swearing".

Bad Zebra Mon Feb 10, 2014 03:14pm

Animal House...c.1978

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 922166)
Define "swearing".

I (state your name) do hereby pledge allegiance to the frat...

Texas Aggie Mon Feb 10, 2014 03:29pm

This happened in a college game about 25 years ago -- Nolan Richardson of Arkansas left the bench, then came back when it went into OT. It was clear then and now that a technical should have been assessed when the coach left. If nothing else, its unsporting.

I really don't see how you can let this slide. If the coach leaving is his or her first technical, then they can return to the bench. But if they've been assessed one T already and leave, assess another one and make sure they stay gone. Nothing good comes from them coming back.

Adam Mon Feb 10, 2014 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Whitten (Post 921978)
GV area game. Team A getting whipped by 20+ all game. In the 4th quarter, Coach A blows up and uses profanity at U1. He calls the T and he and I begin getting the free throw shooter, etc. U2 goes to A's bench to sit coach A down. Coach A says she's done and walks off her bench and into A's locker room near her bench at the end of the court. She was not ejected, she just left. Assistant coach is instructed he must remain seated for remainder of the game and we play on. After a few minutes, original Coach A comes back and starts standing and coaching again. U2 steps over to remind her she must now sit, to which she replied, "I ain't gotta do nothing!" U2 assesses her second T and ejects her.

Should we have assessed the second T when she left the bench (unsporting)? She didn't "show out" when she left...she just left.

Honestly, I would have done the same thing. Sure, you could issue her second T when she leaves (leaving the bench area), and some may say you should. I couldn't argue with that, I just don't know that I would have. Worst case scenario, she comes back and does/says something stupid. You can deal with that when it happens.

That said, if the powers that be in your area want this called when she leaves, then do it that way. Otherwise, I wouldn't go looking for trouble.

BigT Mon Feb 10, 2014 03:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 922166)
Define "swearing".

Hmmm I guess if coach called you a F... idiot?

Raymond Mon Feb 10, 2014 03:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 922181)
Hmmm I guess if coach called you a F... idiot?

If a coach says, "T, that was a bullsh!5 call", you are giving them a flagrant T for swearing?