Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee33 View Post
Just a general question I had a game last night and the coach was barking about 3 seconds all freaking night to whoever was in the lead and there was no adavantage disadvantage going on because the ball was passed around the top of the key majority of the game. He called a timeout barked some more why arent yall calling this then begins the rant of three seconds is 1,2,3 toot should be a whistle. Mind you the other coach was coaching didnt have a care in the world about the calls. How would you guys have handled this situation?
"Coach, every time I hear 3 in the key I restart my count..."
"Coach if you're calling that then I can't..."

Both of these (for me) usually quiets the coach down if he knows what he's doing....

Now with regards to actually 3 in the key if it's there you may need to call it, but for me it's towards the bottom of the list of things I'm looking for....
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 08:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
JetMetFan: I slightly disagree. Please cite something, in writing, that states that advantage/disadvantage does not apply to violations. I will agree that, in almost all occasions, advantage/disadvantage applies to fouls, but I would not agree that advantage/disadvantage only applies to fouls.

Poll on applying advantage/disadvantage to violations (Ignore the poll. I hate polls.)

In the immortal words of the infamous Jurassic Referee: "There are certain violations that I think that even the FED rulesmakers would probably agree, if you twisted their arms, that some discretion (read: advantage/disadvantage) is needed to make an appropriate call. Examples might be 3-seconds and the 10-second count on a free-throw shooter.
You won't find "advantage/disadvantage" in the rules for fouls, either. What you will find, however, is that the foul rule indicates there needs to be some sort of obstructing, impeding, displacement, etc., in order to be considered anything but incidental (legal) contact. No such provision exists in the definitions of "violations."

As Camron notes, though, you can always use the "intent and purpose" stuff.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 07:14am
Esteemed Forum Member

I'm Already Applying It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If instead of advantage/disadvantage you apply intent and purpose and you have a way to not call 3 seconds just because a player happens to be in the lane for 3 seconds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
You can always use the "intent and purpose" stuff.
THE INTENT AND PURPOSE OF THE RULES

The restrictions which the rules place upon the players are intended to create a
balance of play; to provide equal opportunity between the offense and the
defense; to provide equal opportunity between the small player and tall player; to
provide reasonable safety and protection; to create an atmosphere of sporting
behavior and fair play; and to emphasize cleverness and skill without unduly
limiting freedom of action of individual or team play on either offense or defense.
Therefore, it is important to know the intent and purpose of a rule so that it may
be intelligently applied in each play situation. A player or a team should not be
permitted an advantage which is not intended by a rule. Neither should play be
permitted to develop which may lead to placing a player at a disadvantage not
intended by a rule.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 10:48am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post

Now, as soon as they clearly DO gain an advantage, game over.
Wow, you're strict!! Advantage in the lane results in a forfeit!!
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 10:52am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If instead of advantage/disadvantage you apply intent and purpose and you have a way to not call 3 seconds just because a player happens to be in the lane for 3 seconds.
When I did my floor training as a brand new official, we reffed 4th and 5th grade game or something like that. During one of my breaks, my observer and I had this conversation:

Him: "What's the purpose of the 3-second rule?"

Me: [deer in headlights. totally overwhelmed.] Confused silence. . .

Him: "It's to keep the big man from camping out under the basket and getting easy scores, right?"

Me: Nodding. . .

Him: "Do you see any big men out there?"
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 11:04am
Lighten up, Francis.

From the OfficialForum.com archives (originally aired 4/2/02 -- I love the search function!):

You should count 3-seconds like this:

One.

Man, am I hungry. I could go for a nice slice right now. Or maybe Slider will send me a Krispy Kreme. Mmmmmmm. Doughnuts. Man, that Homer Simpson cracks me up. I wonder what it's really like to work in a nuclear power plant. . .

Two.

Is that cheerleader looking at me? I think she's looking at me!! Nope. Darn, she's looking at the point guard camped in the lane. Camped in the lane? Oh, yeah. . . Where was I?

Two-and-a-half.

"Blue. Clear the lane!"

Yawn. Scratch. Adjust pants.

"Blue! Get outta there!"

WWMTDSD? (What would Mark T. DeNucci, Sr do?)

Doggone it!!

Three!! TWEET!
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 12:04pm
Administrator

Quote:
He called a timeout barked some more why aren't yall calling this then begins the rant of three seconds is 1,2,3 toot should be a whistle. How would you guys have handled this situation?

dee33:

If he had ranted to me: "1, 2, 3, toot!" during a TO to me, then we would have been shooting TF free throws after the TO was over, and it would not the Coach's team that would be shooting the free throws.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 01:48pm
Always Carded Ref

further

The players would come in I say paint they step out game had a great flow was very consistent but this coach was ranting and they had a great lead HE WANTED A 1,2,3 three seconds come on if it were action in the paint ok but it was very minimal
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 01:55pm
Always Carded Ref

Nailed it

You guys nailed it I never say a specific number I just say paint they step out why because I had said numbers before and a coach had mentioned to me well why did you tell 5 to get out the paint but you couldnt tell 22 to watch his hands so I just keep it simple paint, hands etcand they oblige they know who you're refferring to. As far as the coach this was my response to him and I'm sure alot will be against this but I told him this after the timeout rant I said coach you know everytime I have my count going and you start with your 3 seconds rant I lose count and have to start over again yup he was pissed.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 02:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The players would come in I say paint they step out game had a great flow was very consistent but this coach was ranting and they had a great lead HE WANTED A 1,2,3 three seconds come on if it were action in the paint ok but it was very minimal
from what u writ here it seems as you did it right I wouldnt change the way you called it but i also wouldnt let the coach rant all night that should have been addressed quickly at the latest he gets a T during that timeout have you talked to your assigner to see how he wants it called and how he thinks you should have addressed the coaches behavior i never use the "i start my count over" approach because it is only likely to make the problem worse

Last edited by Adam; Thu Dec 12, 2013 at 02:31pm. Reason: added more thoughts
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
You guys nailed it I never say a specific number I just say paint they step out why because I had said numbers before and a coach had mentioned to me well why did you tell 5 to get out the paint but you couldnt tell 22 to watch his hands so I just keep it simple paint, hands etcand they oblige they know who you're refferring to. As far as the coach this was my response to him and I'm sure alot will be against this but I told him this after the timeout rant I said coach you know everytime I have my count going and you start with your 3 seconds rant I lose count and have to start over again yup he was pissed.
Quote:
from what u writ here it seems as you did it right I wouldnt change the way you called it but i also wouldnt let the coach rant all night that should have been addressed quickly at the latest he gets a T during that timeout have you talked to your assigner to see how he wants it called and how he thinks you should have addressed the coaches behavior i never use the "i start my count over" approach because it is only likely to make the problem worse
i feel like this is some sort of competition in which we see who can make the longest sentence without some sort of punctuation i mean does anyone else see that i didnt know where one thought ended and the next begun i just kept saying to myself holy cow shouldnt we be using periods or commas every now and again
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
i feel like this is some sort of competition in which we see who can make the longest sentence without some sort of punctuation i mean does anyone else see that i didnt know where one thought ended and the next begun i just kept saying to myself holy cow shouldnt we be using periods or commas every now and again
Punctuation! We don't need no stinking punctuation.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 04:23pm
AremRed

Quote:
I don't think a moderator should be mocking the grammar or writing style of another poster.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 04:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I don't think a moderator should be mocking the grammar or writing style of another poster.
Frankly, I considered simply reminding him that punctuation would help. I tried a different tactic. My intent wasn't mockery, it was to show him how hard it is to read when someone writes like that.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2013, 04:58pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
We'll take him out behind the woodshed.