The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 07:31am
Always Carded Ref

3 Seconds

Just a general question I had a game last night and the coach was barking about 3 seconds all freaking night to whoever was in the lead and there was no adavantage disadvantage going on because the ball was passed around the top of the key majority of the game. He called a timeout barked some more why arent yall calling this then begins the rant of three seconds is 1,2,3 toot should be a whistle. Mind you the other coach was coaching didnt have a care in the world about the calls. How would you guys have handled this situation?
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Well...there's no advantage/disadvantage component to three seconds or any other violation. Advantage/disadvantage only applies to contact.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 07:50am
Always Carded Ref

Agree

I agree jetman but they didnt build a tent or a fort in the paint and like i said it was really not that much post play going on would you call it or leave it be how would you handle that coach???
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

By rule, the coach was correct about the three secs. call. But, a lot of officials don't like calling 3 secs. Check with your leadership. When in Rome ...
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

If the violation is there I'm going to get it. As was pointed out, there is no advantage/disadvantage to consider.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 08:57am
Keeper of the HAMMER

While there may be no advantage component in the rule, I don't know of anyone that wants 3 seconds called strictly by the rule. You should, however, be talking the players out of the lane. If they don't listen, go ahead and get one or two early.

Note that this is without regard to the coach bitching on the sideline. That's an entirely different matter. From the way you describe it, he wouldn't have had his coaching box long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee33 View Post
He called a timeout barked some more why arent yall calling this then begins the rant of three seconds is 1,2,3 toot should be a whistle.
Maybe I'm picturing this wrong, but I don't see myself allowing this to go without a T.

But if he had been ranting 'all freaking night', it would have been addressed sooner.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 08:57am
This IS My Social Life

All Bark, No Bite

Quote:
...barking about 3 seconds ...
The 54 foul early season GV game last night afforded all non-officiating elements opportunity to bark about everything they could think of. Both AD's worked the stands diligently for crowd control. Both coaches forced a speed expectation upon their teams that was waaaaaaay above their abilities. But the one bright spot that brought the whistle out of my mouth and a nice big grin to my face was the parent screaming "Three Seconds!!!". . . during a throw-in.
I liked that.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 09:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

We went 2OT last night and we had around 30 fouls. An absolute joy. The home team ended up with 12 fouls in 5 full quarters of play.

Some idiot did tweet that the fouls were 10-4 at the beginning of the 2OT and we should be ashamed that they weren't even. I laughed at that one.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just a general question I had a game last night and the coach was barking about 3 seconds all freaking night to whoever was in the lead and there was no adavantage disadvantage going on because the ball was passed around the top of the key majority of the game. He called a timeout barked some more why arent yall calling this then begins the rant of three seconds is 1,2,3 toot should be a whistle. Mind you the other coach was coaching didnt have a care in the world about the calls. How would you guys have handled this situation?
I would have called it when I saw it. If it was actually happening, this would have quieted him. If it was not actually happening, I'd tell coach we'd keep an eye out ... and if I was keeping an eye out and it wasn't happening - I'd tell him to pipe down.

However, based on your own words it appears to me you knew it was happening and just didn't want to call it. So I'm with coach. Why aren't y'all calling this?

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
While there may be no advantage component in the rule, I don't know of anyone that wants 3 seconds called strictly by the rule. You should, however, be talking the players out of the lane. If they don't listen, go ahead and get one or two early.
There has been more emphasis lately, at least in these parts, for officials to stop talking to players and just blow the whistle. Directives coming from higher ups ...
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 09:54am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Maybe I'm picturing this wrong, but I don't see myself allowing this to go without a T.

But if he had been ranting 'all freaking night', it would have been addressed sooner.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Whatever was going on in or around the paint, a coach is not getting away with this. I popped a coach for this during a summer camp game; he did it while play was live.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Here it appears that the Varsity guys wait until an entry pass comes in and they have been there 3+ seconds and call it.

I like to talk to players myself and get them when they have been in really long or forced the defense to guard them and they are unable to help out with other offensive players.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 10:24am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
There has been more emphasis lately, at least in these parts, for officials to stop talking to players and just blow the whistle. Directives coming from higher ups ...
Frankly, I can go either way. I've got no personal preference, anyway. What we're doing works for us (in that there really aren't a lot of players hanging out in the lane anyway), but if *they* decided we should just start blowing the whistle and stop talking, I'd do it.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
It's the opposite here.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just a general question I had a game last night and the coach was barking about 3 seconds all freaking night
Address his concern early -- either by getting the whistle, or by correcting him on a rule inter (e.g., does not apply during throw-in), or by pointing out that you were counting when #5 was in the lane, but he was out by 3, ..

Then, if he keeps up, address his whining.
Closed Thread