The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

I was taught in this neck of the woods to call it when we get to three. Of course, we were also taught to count...1..................................2...... ...........2 1/3..............................2 2/3...

Seriously, we were told if the player wants to basically take himself/herself out of the offense not to be quick with the violation at first. Now, if the suddenly get an easy bucket or rebound after being cautioned stick them with the violation at the next opportunity. Maybe I have just been lucky but I usually just reminding them to watch the paint during the first quarter works. I guess they know I/we are noticing and trying not to interupt the flow of the game.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 11:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

Perhaps I'm just lucky. I've called one in 10+ games and I've only had one coach complain about this -- and he just didn't get that a player can stay in the lane as long as he likes while the ball is in the backcourt.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 11:34am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
It's the opposite here.
Of course but we know who's driving that.

I think the UIL would find a way to get rid of us if they could.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 12:48pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee33 View Post
Just a general question I had a game last night and the coach was barking about 3 seconds all freaking night to whoever was in the lead and there was no adavantage disadvantage going on because the ball was passed around the top of the key majority of the game. He called a timeout barked some more why arent yall calling this then begins the rant of three seconds is 1,2,3 toot should be a whistle. Mind you the other coach was coaching didnt have a care in the world about the calls. How would you guys have handled this situation?

Call 3 seconds on his team the very next time you can!
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
Maybe I have just been lucky but I usually just reminding them to watch the paint during the first quarter works. I guess they know I/we are noticing and trying not to interupt the flow of the game.
I realize I might get flack for this from the everything by-the-book, letter-for-letter guys, but this is what I've always done too. And although advantage/disadvantage doesn't technically apply, I still use it. If a kid has his foot just inside the lane line on the weak side, and has no effect on the play, I would be hard-pressed to call that. The game is smoother and more enjoyable for the officials, players, coaches and fans when you can get some sort of flow.

Now, as soon as they clearly DO gain an advantage, game over.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 01:57pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
While there may be no advantage component in the rule, I don't know of anyone that wants 3 seconds called strictly by the rule. You should, however, be talking the players out of the lane...
IF you're told to do so by your local leadership.

Here, the instruction is, "Don't be a good three-second official. Be a GREAT three-second official." We do not talk kids out of the lane, ever. And as a result, the kids move.

For me, if I reach three on a kid in the lane without the ball, and he makes an obvious effort to get out of the lane (or "bucket," as some still call it here), I'll hold my whistle. If he gets out, fine. If he stays put or gets the ball, tweet.

It's just another violation, no big deal. And, like anything else, when they know you enforce it, it works. Last night, JV-B, a total of zero 3-second rulings from my partner and me. (Some sure couldn't keep their arms down then they moved, though.)
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
If a kid has his foot just inside the lane line on the weak side, and has no effect on the play...
IMHO, this is a perfect time for the "Get out of the lane, 34." You don't, at the moment he's violating, know that this positioning will not end up being advantageous. Obviously, it's not yet... and I get that you say you'd whack him when it becomes an advantage.

But do you whack him at the moment a shot is released and he's been doing this for 5 seconds? No ... probably not - yet NOW he's developed a rebounding advantage from being allowed to park there.

I'm fine with not whistling 3 seconds on the weak side - but is still should be addressed.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
I was taught in this neck of the woods to call it when we get to three. Of course, we were also taught to count...1..................................2...... ...........2 1/3..............................2 2/3...

Seriously, we were told if the player wants to basically take himself/herself out of the offense not to be quick with the violation at first. Now, if the suddenly get an easy bucket or rebound after being cautioned stick them with the violation at the next opportunity. Maybe I have just been lucky but I usually just reminding them to watch the paint during the first quarter works. I guess they know I/we are noticing and trying not to interupt the flow of the game.
This goes with my teaching as well...but like this....

we were also taught to count...1..................................2...... ...........2 1/3......Hey, 42, get out of the lane.......................2 2/3..................3 (whistle if necessary)
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
IMHO, this is a perfect time for the "Get out of the lane, 34." You don't, at the moment he's violating, know that this positioning will not end up being advantageous. Obviously, it's not yet... and I get that you say you'd whack him when it becomes an advantage.

But do you whack him at the moment a shot is released and he's been doing this for 5 seconds? No ... probably not - yet NOW he's developed a rebounding advantage from being allowed to park there.

I'm fine with not whistling 3 seconds on the weak side - but is still should be addressed.
I agree completely, and I do give them the "Get out" statement when I see it. And as far as the rebounding position is concerned, you're right, no one likely calls 3 seconds as the shot is going up, and if he does get a rebound, or even impacts how the rebound is made, whehter his team ends up with it or not, then his "Free Pass" so to speak ends, and it is penalized fairly strictly the next time down the court. And just a quick disclaimer, all of this is assuming we are with a foot in on the weak side. In my opinion, if you are on the strong side, even a foot in is an advantage, so a normal 3 second count would be penalized.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 02:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
"Don't be a good three-second official. Be a GREAT three-second official."
I prefer my quote:

"Don't make three-seconds your best call."

Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rpirtle Send a message via Yahoo to rpirtle
I use the same technique some have mentioned...I talk to the players first. I won't blow 3-seconds unless they've been warned 1st...whether it was immediately before I blew or on a previous trip. It's just my opinion...but it's such a "game interrupter" when a partner blows 3-seconds with no warning (usually away from the ball).
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee33 View Post
I agree jetman but they didnt build a tent or a fort in the paint and like i said it was really not that much post play going on would you call it or leave it be how would you handle that coach???
That’s cool. Just emphasizing advantage/disadvantage isn’t an issue.

My way of handling it? Well, I’ll address what appears to have happened in your game and go from there. If the HC was “barking…all freaking night” and no one addressed him, frankly the crew brought that headache on itself. I’d have to think at some point early on he made these comments while one of the officials was next to him. Ask him, quietly, “Coach, how may I help you?” When he answers:

*Tell him, by rule, why what he’s asking for isn’t a violation, or…
*Tell him you’ll make sure to keep an eye on things but you haven’t seen one yet

If you address him early in some form that should quiet him down. If he keeps it up at some point someone has to say, “Coach, I hear you but that’s enough.” If he keeps going…well, you know what to do.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 05:48pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Call 3 seconds on his team the very next time you can!
+1

As soon as the coach complains about they meant to watch the other team, calmly explain that you HAD to watch his team more closely as well.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 06:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Advantage Disadvantage ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Advantage/disadvantage only applies to contact.
JetMetFan: I slightly disagree. Please cite something, in writing, that states that advantage/disadvantage does not apply to violations. I will agree that, in almost all occasions, advantage/disadvantage applies to fouls, but I would not agree that advantage/disadvantage only applies to fouls.

Poll on applying advantage/disadvantage to violations (Ignore the poll. I hate polls.)

In the immortal words of the infamous Jurassic Referee: "There are certain violations that I think that even the FED rulesmakers would probably agree, if you twisted their arms, that some discretion (read: advantage/disadvantage) is needed to make an appropriate call. Examples might be 3-seconds and the 10-second count on a free-throw shooter.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 11, 2013 at 07:05pm.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2013, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
JetMetFan: I slightly disagree. Please cite something, in writing, that states that advantage/disadvantage does not apply to violations. I will agree that, in almost all occasions, advantage/disadvantage applies to fouls, but I would not agree that advantage/disadvantage only applies to fouls.

Poll on applying advantage/disadvantage to violations (Ignore the poll. I hate polls.)

In the immortal words of the infamous Jurassic Referee: "There are certain violations that I think that even the FED rulesmakers would probably agree, if you twisted their arms, that some discretion (read: advantage/disadvantage) is needed to make an appropriate call. Examples might be 3-seconds and the 10-second count on a free-throw shooter.
If instead of advantage/disadvantage you apply intent and purpose and you have a way to not call 3 seconds just because a player happens to be in the lane for 3 seconds.
Closed Thread