The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #46 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 07:15am
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 12,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post
does it matter if it's a pass or dribble unless the player just caught the ball while in the air (from a pass or rebound), since you can't catch your own pass and you can't dribble if you got the ball before jumping.

if it was an alleyoop or rebound he probably can do start a dribble.
I don't know what you are asking.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 07:53am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 16,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post
does it matter if it's a pass or dribble unless the player just caught the ball while in the air (from a pass or rebound), since you can't catch your own pass and you can't dribble if you got the ball before jumping.
What I think you're asking: "Why are you guys arguing about whether it's a pass or a dribble since either one is illegal?"

If that is correct, then you are right that once A1 touches the ball the play is illegal. But if it's (determined to be) a pass, then it's not illegal until it's touched by A1. If it's (determined to be) a dribble, then it *might* be illegal as soon as A1 begins the dribble. And, you *might* not be able to determine which it is until later (or maybe you can make such a determination). That's the focus of the discussion.

Quote:
if it was an alleyoop or rebound he probably can do start a dribble.
No "probably" about it, and also not the play we are discussing.
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 09:07am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 187
Well since the initial post did not state what happened before the player dropped the ball, whether he ended a dribble & jumped or he received the ball while airborne, i just though i took it into consideration on a 2nd case where no pivot has yet been established.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Not if he's already lifted his pivot foot for a try, or a pass (which is what this thread is all about).
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 09:12am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 187
assuming the player established a pivot before he jumped, the player can't dribble anymore because he already lifted his pivot before releasing the ball so it'd be a travel right?

unless he merely came into contact with the ball while on the floor & yet catch/secure the ball and only manage to do it while already airborne, this case he hasn't established a pivot until he has landed, so he can actually just hold the ball until he land or "drop" the ball as a mean to start a dribble.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If that is correct, then you are right that once A1 touches the ball the play is illegal. But if it's (determined to be) a pass, then it's not illegal until it's touched by A1. If it's (determined to be) a dribble, then it *might* be illegal as soon as A1 begins the dribble. And, you *might* not be able to determine which it is until later (or maybe you can make such a determination). That's the focus of the discussion.
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 09:20am
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 12,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post
Well since the initial post did not state what happened before the player dropped the ball, whether he ended a dribble & jumped or he received the ball while airborne, i just though i took it into consideration on a 2nd case where no pivot has yet been established.
If the player received a pass while airborne there would have been no reason for this discussion.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #51 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 10:20am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 187
well it could still be a violation if he touched his own pass. but if he dropped the ball & touches it would you see it as a violation or just treat it as a dribble?
Reply With Quote
  #52 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 10:33am
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 12,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post
well it could still be a violation if he touched his own pass. but if he dropped the ball & touches it would you see it as a violation or just treat it as a dribble?
Depends on different things, for example:

1) if he dribbled already
2) did he pick up his pivot foot before releasing the ball
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #53 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 10:34am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 16,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post
well it could still be a violation if he touched his own pass.
No, it wouldn't.

There is no rule about "catching your own pass." there is a rule about moving your pivot foot which is what USUALLY happens. But when it doesn't ...
Reply With Quote
  #54 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 25, 2013, 12:13pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post
well it could still be a violation if he touched his own pass.
Why?
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
attempted shot, double dribble, loose ball, mythbusters

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fouling airborne shooter when ball is dead... ? PSidbury Basketball 20 Wed Dec 01, 2010 07:39pm
Non-airborne shooter? Mark Padgett Basketball 7 Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:40pm
Shooter Unintentionally Drops the Ball cshs81 Basketball 27 Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:48pm
Airborne Passer vs Airborne Shooter SDREGIIBB Basketball 8 Mon Apr 11, 2005 04:33pm
Airborne shooter - Held ball DownTownTonyBrown Basketball 31 Wed Jan 22, 2003 01:37pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1