The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 10, 2013, 11:43pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
B2 fouls airborne shooter A1 and A1 having released the shot, at approximately the same time, fouls B3 before landing. Does that not fit the definition of a double foul? Or is it your contention that these two fouls are unlikely to happen at aproximately the same time?
Help me understand your point.
This is not ever a double foul. In order to be a double foul, the opponents have to commit fouls against each other. This is not true in your scenario. This would always be a false double foul or simultaneous foul depending upon the timing of the two fouls.
Old Fri Oct 11, 2013, 08:06am
This IS My Social Life

You're Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
This is not ever a double foul. In order to be a double foul, the opponents have to commit fouls against each other. This is not true in your scenario. This would always be a false double foul or simultaneous foul depending upon the timing of the two fouls.
Of course.
Duh.
Doi.
That's what I get when I try to think through these things while passing the time watching daughter's volleyball game.

Last edited by Adam; Sat Oct 12, 2013 at 11:17pm. Reason: Off topic stuff
Old Fri Oct 11, 2013, 08:54am
C'mon man!!

So in the blarge situation we are discussiong, when do you consider it a double foul and when do you consider it a false double foul? Whether the ball is released on the try or not? I am looking at 4.19.8c and 4.19.9a.
Old Fri Oct 11, 2013, 09:10am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Double foul on a blarge. Never a false double.
Old Fri Oct 11, 2013, 09:42am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Double foul on a blarge. Never a false double.
So what is the difference between the two case plays I posted above?
Old Fri Oct 11, 2013, 10:46am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
So what is the difference between the two case plays I posted above?
4.19.9a is two separate contacts. A1 is fouled by B1 on the way up, and A1 fouls B2 on the way down.

4.19.8c is a single contact which draws opposite calls from two different officials.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Oct 11, 2013, 05:08pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
4.19.9a is two separate contacts. A1 is fouled by B1 on the way up, and A1 fouls B2 on the way down.

4.19.8c is a single contact which draws opposite calls from two different officials.
So in 4.19.8c it is strictly that 2 officials called two different things. SO in theory it could be exactly the same play but in one case, one referee calls both fouls (the false double foul). Is that right?
Old Fri Oct 11, 2013, 05:26pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
So in 4.19.8c it is strictly that 2 officials called two different things. SO in theory it could be exactly the same play but in one case, one referee calls both fouls (the false double foul). Is that right?

I see no reason why any double foul could not be called by two different officials. The unique thing about 4.19.8c is conflicting block/charge calls on the same play, which by definition is impossible. Others say both fouls must be reported when the officials give the conflicting preliminary signal, but I see nothing in the case play which demands this. What do you think?

Hey, he asked.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Oct 11, 2013, 05:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm not sure what the situations are, to be honest. But....

There would need to be more of a difference. Any time you have a double foul, neither can be a PC due to definitions. It is possible to have a double foul called by one official (not likely, but possible) on a shooter.
Old Fri Oct 11, 2013, 05:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Hey, he asked.
I'll allow it.

If you don't mind a Don Quixote pic.
Old Fri Oct 11, 2013, 05:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That, is not a double foul. That is a false double foul since B2 committed the first foul and B3 was the one fouled by A1.

In this case, the foul by A1 is still a PC foul so the basket can be scored. But, since A1 was fouled in the act of shooting, A1 gets 2 FTs.

Now, the big question is whether you'll have A1 shoot the FTs with no one one the lane and award the ball to someone after the shot or if you'll shoot the FTs normally.
Did you mean "cannot be scored?"

As for your last question, it would depend on which foul happened first. In the OP, I'd clear the lane and give the ball to the defense after the basket.
Old Fri Oct 11, 2013, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did you mean "cannot be scored?"

As for your last question, it would depend on which foul happened first. In the OP, I'd clear the lane and give the ball to the defense after the basket.
I actually deleted that post right after I posted it when I read further down the thread and realized that my points had already been covered.

And, yes, I meant can NOT be scored.

I don't think it would depend on which happened first. If there is a PC foul, the ball is dead. Subsequent contact wouldn't even be a foul unless it was intentional or flagrant (and I don't think that is the situation under discussion). So, the only way you can get two fouls where one of them is a PC foul is if the PC foul happens last.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Oct 11, 2013 at 11:23pm.
Old Fri Oct 11, 2013, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's not correct. In 4.19.8C the fouls are by two players AGAINST EACH OTHER. That's a double foul. So the "charge" is NOT a PC foul, the try counts and you resume at the POI (B's ball on the endlien if the try is good, the arrow if the try is not good). This is really no different than A1 tries, B2 and A2 foul each other getting into position for the rebound.

In 4.19.9A , The fouls are not by players against each other. One B player fouls A1, and A1 in turn fouls a DIFFERENT B player. That makes it a false double foul. Here the "charge" is a PC foul and BOTH fouls are penalized.
Old Fri Oct 11, 2013, 09:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

One other possibility would be a simultaneous foul. No books handy, but I have to assume that would also exclude a PC.
Old Sat Oct 12, 2013, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One other possibility would be a simultaneous foul. No books handy, but I have to assume that would also exclude a PC.
"A common foul ... nor part of a double, simultaneous or multiple foul."