The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 02:32pm
Official Fiveum Member

Question Offensive foul - shooting or not?

Guys - just want to make sure I have it straight on team control (offensive) fouls and whether or not free throws are warranted. In all situations, NF rules and team B is in the bonus.

Situation one - A1 to inbound (spot) and before the ball is handed to him A2 commits what would be a common foul on B2 if the ball was live. No foul and no shots because ball is dead and contact is not flagrant to cause a technical, right?

Situation two - same thing only it occurs after A1 is handed the ball from the official. Ball is live but there's shots because no team control, right?

Situation three - same thing only it occurs after A1 releases the ball on a throw-in pass but it is not caught or touched yet. Ball is live but there's shots because no team control, right?

IOW, team A must be in team control to have no shots by team B because the foul is a team control (offensive) foul, right?

Thanks.
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Correct in all three situations.
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

You got it right.
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 02:43pm
Archaic Power Monger

I'll take a stab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Refner View Post

Situation one - A1 to inbound (spot) and before the ball is handed to him A2 commits what would be a common foul on B2 if the ball was live. No foul and no shots because ball is dead and contact is not flagrant to cause a technical, right?
Contact does not have to be flagrant to warrant a technical. It could also be intentional.
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 03:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I'll take a stab.

Contact does not have to be flagrant to warrant a technical. It could also be intentional.
Correct.
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 03:28pm
Official Fiveum Member

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks guys. I thought I had it right. One reason I asked was because a few weeks ago, I had a partner call an "offensive" personal foul during a throw-in after the ball became live but still in the inbounders hands. He said there were no shots on an offensive foul. I tried to explain team control to him but he wasn't interested. BTW - the team that got fouled was in the bonus.
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Refner View Post
Guys - just want to make sure I have it straight on team control (offensive) fouls and whether or not free throws are warranted. In all situations, NF rules and team B is in the bonus.

Situation two - same thing only it occurs after A1 is handed the ball from the official. Ball is live but there's shots because no team control, right?

Situation three - same thing only it occurs after A1 releases the ball on a throw-in pass but it is not caught or touched yet. Ball is live but there's shots because no team control, right?

IOW, team A must be in team control to have no shots by team B because the foul is a team control (offensive) foul, right?

Thanks.
Ok, I may be reading this wrong, but since when can't you have a foul when the ball is dead and for it not to be technical or flagrant?
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Ok, I may be reading this wrong, but since when can't you have a foul when the ball is dead and for it not to be technical or flagrant?
4-19-1 Note:

Contact after the ball has become dead is ignored unless it is ruled intentional or flagrant or is committed by or on an airborne shooter.
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 05:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I'm honestly trying to figure out what you're asking, but I'll try to answer what I think you're asking.

Contact during a dead ball should be ignored unless it's intentional, flagrant, or involving an airborne shooter. Intentional and flagrant dead ball fouls will always be ruled technical fouls. Fouls with an airborne shooter will be personal fouls.
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I'm honestly trying to figure out what you're asking, but I'll try to answer what I think you're asking.

Contact during a dead ball should be ignored unless it's intentional, flagrant, or involving an airborne shooter. Intentional and flagrant dead ball fouls will always be ruled technical fouls. Fouls with an airborne shooter will be personal fouls.
I'm not so sure that is correct. I mean... let's take this situation.

You're standing next to a player wanting to take a throw-in. You still have the ball. A1 incidentally pushes B1 over to get to the corner, while thinking his teammate has the ball to pass it in. You would ignore that while you're still holding the ball, when this would normally be a personal foul during live ball? Would you call it an intentional foul, when it was legitimately an incidental, personal foul during a dead ball?
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 07:01pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
I'm not so sure that is correct.
It is correct. It is almost 4-19-1 NOTE verbatim.
Quote:
You would ignore that while you're still holding the ball, when this would normally be a personal foul during live ball?
Yes. Maybe a quick word to knock it off if appropriate.

Quote:
Would you call it an intentional foul, when it was legitimately an incidental, personal foul during a dead ball?
No.
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not so sure that is correct. I mean... let's take this situation.

You're standing next to a player wanting to take a throw-in. You still have the ball. A1 incidentally pushes B1 over to get to the corner, while thinking his teammate has the ball to pass it in. You would ignore that while you're still holding the ball, when this would normally be a personal foul during live ball? Would you call it an intentional foul, when it was legitimately an incidental, personal foul during a dead ball?
It's exactly correct. Contact when the ball is dead, that is neither intentional or flagrant is ignored. Now that doesn't mean you can't warn players to knock it off, but by wrong, you've got nothing to call unless it reaches the necessary level.
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 08:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Ask yourself this...

What advantage did A1 gain with his contact while you were holding the ball? B1 can still recover from the contact and get back into defensive coverage. If the thrower had the ball though, it would be a different situation. In that case, the throw-in could come in to A1 while B1 was out of position due to the contact.

No advantage---> no intentional foul....in this case. Note that the definition of an intentional foul in rule 4-19-3 says that it neutralizes an opponent's obvious advantageous position. That can't happen when the official is still holding on to the ball.
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
No advantage---> no intentional foul....in this case. Note that the definition of an intentional foul in rule 4-19-3 says that it neutralizes an opponent's obvious advantageous position. That can't happen when the official is still holding on to the ball.
As you know, an intentional foul can also be called for excessive contact. That's the provision that would be applied to dead ball contact.

And if excessively excessive, it might even be flagrant.
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Would you call it an intentional foul, when it was legitimately an incidental, personal foul during a dead ball?
Impossible.