The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 02:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Why is this not an intentional foul?

I read an article on this website whose entire focus was on this kind of play. The kid knows the kid is going to shoot or put the rebound back in. He backs up while he is in the air so there is no way the kid can land and will go down hard because he looked over his shoulder and backed up into his space. This article convinced me to use my body language/sign language skills to watch for information that he knows his opponent (typically taller) is going to get the board no matter what and put it back in but maybe I can cause him to rethink by making him go down to the ground hard by backing up underneath him. I am looking forward to replies.
If you think he did it on purpose, go ahead and call it intentional. What I normally see is poorly coached players "boxing out" instead of jumping and undercutting the rebounder behind him. I had one this season, and the defender's response was an incredulous, "but I was on the inside."

Me: "You still can't push him or undercut him."
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 03:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Maybe This Will Help ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post
most of the discussion is related to boxing out & displacement, however would you guys call it as a foul when ...
Ball-Handler / Hand-Checking
Any illegal use of hands, arms or body, offense or defense, that slows, prevents, impedes the progress, or
displaces an opposing player, due to the contact, is a foul and must be called. When a player places both
hands on a ball-handler, it is a foul. When a player continuously places a hand on the ball handler, it is a foul.
When a player continuously jabs a hand or forearm on a ball-handler, it is a foul. When a player jabs a hand,
or forearm, on an opponent to control his or her movement or gain an advantage, it is a foul. If the dribbler’s
rhythm, speed, balance, or quickness are affected, we should have a hand-checking foul. Tactics using the
hands, arms or body that permit any player, offense or defense, to control (hold, impede, push, divert, slow
or prevent) the movement of an opposing player is a foul.

Post Play
As lead, let’s find the post matchup as soon as possible so that we get the first foul. When a player uses hands,
forearms, or elbows to prevent an opponent from maintaining a legal position, it is a foul. When a player
dislodges an opponent from an established position by pushing or backing in, it is a foul. Let’s not allow a
defender to use a leg or knee to move a player off the block. When the defense undercuts, initiates lower
body non-vertical contact, slaps, pushes, holds, elbows, forearms or just generally demonstrates rough,
physical movements or tactics, this is a foul on the defense. Let’s make sure the offensive player isn’t holding
off the defender, or holding him with his off-hand. When the offensive player then uses the swim stroke,
pushes, pins, elbows, forearms, holds, clears with the body, or just generally demonstrates rough physical
movements or tactics, this is a foul on the offensive player. Don’t let players redirect, impede, displace, or
dislodge.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Ball-Handler / Hand-Checking
Any illegal use of hands, arms or body, offense or defense, that slows, prevents, impedes the progress, or
displaces an opposing player, due to the contact, is a foul and must be called. When a player places both
hands on a ball-handler, it is a foul. When a player continuously places a hand on the ball handler, it is a foul.
When a player continuously jabs a hand or forearm on a ball-handler, it is a foul. When a player jabs a hand,
or forearm, on an opponent to control his or her movement or gain an advantage, it is a foul. If the dribbler’s
rhythm, speed, balance, or quickness are affected, we should have a hand-checking foul. Tactics using the
hands, arms or body that permit any player, offense or defense, to control (hold, impede, push, divert, slow
or prevent) the movement of an opposing player is a foul.

Post Play
As lead, let’s find the post matchup as soon as possible so that we get the first foul. When a player uses hands,
forearms, or elbows to prevent an opponent from maintaining a legal position, it is a foul. When a player
dislodges an opponent from an established position by pushing or backing in, it is a foul. Let’s not allow a
defender to use a leg or knee to move a player off the block. When the defense undercuts, initiates lower
body non-vertical contact, slaps, pushes, holds, elbows, forearms or just generally demonstrates rough,
physical movements or tactics, this is a foul on the defense. Let’s make sure the offensive player isn’t holding
off the defender, or holding him with his off-hand. When the offensive player then uses the swim stroke,
pushes, pins, elbows, forearms, holds, clears with the body, or just generally demonstrates rough physical
movements or tactics, this is a foul on the offensive player. Don’t let players redirect, impede, displace, or
dislodge.
Pure gold...even thought the words "butt", "crouch" and "tummy" are not used.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 04:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Rule Four - Butt ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
Pure gold...even though the words "butt", "crouch" and "tummy" are not used.
Hey, I can add them if you want. Or, even better, copy, and paste, the two paragraphs, and edit it yourself, adding as many butts, crouches, and tummies as you want. Go ahead. Knock yourself out.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Hey, I can add them if you want. Or, even better, copy, and paste, the two paragraphs, and edit it yourself, adding as many butts, crouches, and tummies as you want. Go ahead. Knock yourself out.
Don't be a crouch snuffer.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Officiating.com : Basketball : Undercut Foul — Intentional and/or flagrant

After reading this article and then experiencing one in a game it has me thinking we need to consider IF sometimes. Any thoughts?
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Officiating.com : Basketball : Undercut Foul — Intentional and/or flagrant

After reading this article and then experiencing one in a game it has me thinking we need to consider IF sometimes. Any thoughts?
yes. I think you asked about it in post 28, and got some good answers and follow-up questions that you failed to address.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 01:39pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post
Many people use their butt when boxing out for rebound, establishing post-up positions, under the basket putbacks, whether it's offense or defense.

I play pickup games and often get intentional butt bumps, either directly from the butt or the side of the hip. I get annoyed because it usually bounces be away.

Which makes me wonder in an official game, how much of your butt can you use to your advantage?

For example:

1.The offense is directly under the basket, back/side facing the defender (who is behind him) who has established a good position with arms up & body close, the offense need space, so he does a pump fake, which usually involve squatting down, butt out and bumps the defender away with the butt and takes an easy shot.

2.2 guys going for a rebound, they try to box each other out, one guy uses his butt "accidentally" to bump the other guy out while he gathers for the jump.

It's not a nice feeling getting bumped especially when it hits your tummy or crouch.

First, the correct term is not "butt", but "tuchus", . I am sorry, as a Moderator I should be held to a higher standard, but () I could not help myself.

Second, any time a player uses his tuchus make contact to gain advantage in violation of the rules, that should be called a foul.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
yes. I think you asked about it in post 28, and got some good answers and follow-up questions that you failed to address.
Bob do you have a link so I understand better what I failed to address?
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

My crouch hertz.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 05:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Here's the question he is talking about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
What part of the "intentional foul" definition do you think applies here?

*Most of the time* it is "just blocking out" (albeit illegally) and it's not excessive contact or contact designed to neutralize an obvious advantageous position or designed solely to stop the clock.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Posts 30 and 31.