Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Which rulebook, NCAA or Federation?
Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS
Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS rule 7-5-8... Pass Interference restrictions on a legal forward pass begin for:
a. A with the snap
b. B when the ball leaves the passer's hand.

So in federation rules B can block, bump or otherwise impede
a receiver until the ball leaves the passer's hand; as long
as it isn't defensive holding or some other personal foul.
No 5 yard restriction as in the NFL.

You may want to look at another thread which happened last week, I'll see if I can find it and edit into this post.

The thread was "Illegal Use of Hands"... just added to it to
get it active for your reading pleasure and consideration.

[Edited by l3will on Oct 1st, 2005 at 02:02 PM]
Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by l3will
NFHS rule 7-5-8... Pass Interference restrictions on a legal forward pass begin for:
a. A with the snap

Let's clarify this a bit. If the receiver is not attempting to block, or has gone past, or is moving away from the defender, the defender may not make contact.

Rule 9-2-3d...A defensive player shall not contact an eligible receiver who is no longer a potential blocker.

A guideline is to permit contact until the receiver occupies the same yard line as the defender or until the opponent cannot possibly block him. Continuos contact is illegal.
Old Sun Oct 02, 2005, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Originally posted by eventnyc
Quote:
a. A with the snap

Let's clarify this a bit. If the receiver is not attempting to block, or has gone past, or is moving away from the defender, the defender may not make contact.

Rule 9-2-3d...A defensive player shall not contact an eligible receiver who is no longer a potential blocker.

A guideline is to permit contact until the receiver occupies the same yard line as the defender or until the opponent cannot possibly block him. Continuos contact is illegal.
I always went with the mindset that if the receiver wasn't "presenting" himself as a blocker, D shouldn't touch him. By presenting I mean in a blocking stance. I never really called it, but that's what I thought. Until I read another thread here over the summer.
A defender can knock him on his can, prevent him from running his route using legal techniques, pertty much anything as long as the receiver is in front of him, the ball is behind the receiver, and has yet to be thrown. That's where the potential blocker part comes in.
Now if they are next to each other, or if the receiver has made a cut and is no longer facing or in front of the D, then you have illegal contact if the ball isn't thrown. It doesn't get called much because there are so many other things going on. In 5 man, with only three officials covering 5 potential receivers, it's tough to see everything that goes on.
Old Sun Oct 02, 2005, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

See http://www.lakefield.net/~dday/9-14-05.ppt#10

It's a graphic from Referee Magazine I used at our last association meeting on this topic. Simply stated - if a receive is a potential blocker, he may be contacted.
Old Sun Oct 02, 2005, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wisref2
See http://www.lakefield.net/~dday/9-14-05.ppt#10

It's a graphic from Referee Magazine I used at our last association meeting on this topic. Simply stated - if a receive is a potential blocker, he may be contacted.
Anyway we can get the video clips for that PPT, I'm interested in seeing those.
Old Sun Oct 02, 2005, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Darn videos are supposed to work but they are aren't. I'll try to repair that in the morning. Otherwise, go to http://www.lakefield.net/~dday/ref.htm and send an e-mail with your e-mail address - I'll send you the videos.
Old Sun Oct 02, 2005, 11:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

If the videos are on a PowerPoint presentation, they only seemed to work if the video is on the computer you are using. I am not sure we can view the videos without downloading the videos onto our computer.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 10:50am
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
a. A with the snap
While accurate, I don't think this is the entire picture. One also has to take into account 7-5-7: "Pass interfererence restrictions only apply beyond the neutral zone and only if the legal forward pass, untouched by B in or behind the neutral zone, crosses the neutral zone." This has to be taken into account as well.

Too often, especially with smaller schools, I get complaints of pass interference on screen plays. And the better the program, it seems the more they know. In fact, the WSU vs OSU game on Sat showed a LB drill the RB on a screen preventing the catch. Great play.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Suudy
Quote:
a. A with the snap
While accurate, I don't think this is the entire picture. One also has to take into account 7-5-7: "Pass interfererence restrictions only apply beyond the neutral zone and only if the legal forward pass, untouched by B in or behind the neutral zone, crosses the neutral zone." This has to be taken into account as well.

Too often, especially with smaller schools, I get complaints of pass interference on screen plays. And the better the program, it seems the more they know. In fact, the WSU vs OSU game on Sat showed a LB drill the RB on a screen preventing the catch. Great play.
Keep in mind, they cannot tackle the RB behind the line of scrimmage waiting to make the catch. The can knock him down, but not tackle him. Otherwise you got him for holding.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 11:27am
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally posted by grantsrc
Quote:
Keep in mind, they cannot tackle the RB behind the line of scrimmage waiting to make the catch. The can knock him down, but not tackle him. Otherwise you got him for holding. [/B]
Absolutely. I'm talking more to the point about bumping/blocking a receiver. Behind the NZ, PI is not possible.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by grantsrc
Quote:
Keep in mind, they cannot tackle the RB behind the line of scrimmage waiting to make the catch. The can knock him down, but not tackle him. Otherwise you got him for holding.
Absolutely. I'm talking more to the point about bumping/blocking a receiver. Behind the NZ, PI is not possible. [/B]
I figured as much. I threw that out there for the good of the group.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

While I posted the rules... I also told you to refer to the
illegal use of hands thread... which does refer to the potential blocker part of the rules.

There we talked about what potential blocker means...

I don't believe that bumping the receiver is totally unrestricted. If the receiver is a potential blocker and the ball is not in the air he can be blocked, not held but blocked.

The main point is that NFHS is not the NFL, and we don't have the 5 yard restriction that they do.