The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

NBA Travel Definition

I know I've already ask about the NCAA rule of traveling, but in being curious I looked up the NBA definition (See Below) as well. In the past threads there seemed to be a debate about differences in establishing pivots, jump stops, etc. Using their current rules/definition anyway, my novice observation can't discern a technical difference between the NBA and NCAA. I'd love to have your professional opinions regarding this if I could and have pasted the NBA rule below for everyone's convenience.

Thanks,

Section XIII—Traveling
a. A player who receives the ball while standing still may pivot, using either foot as the pivot foot.

b. A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may take two steps in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball. A player who receives the ball while he is progressing must release the ball to start his dribble before his second step.

The first step occurs when a foot, or both feet, touch the floor after gaining control of the ball.

The second step occurs after the first step when the other foot touches the floor, or both feet touch the floor simultaneously.

A player who comes to a stop on step one when both feet are on the floor or touch the floor simultaneously may pivot using either foot as his pivot. If he jumps with both feet he must release the ball before either foot touches the floor.

A player who lands with one foot first may only pivot using that foot.

A progressing player who jumps off one foot on the first step may land with both feet simultaneously for the second step. In this situation, the player may not pivot with either foot and if one or both feet leave the floor the ball must be released before either returns to the floor.

c. In starting a dribble after (1) receiving the ball while standing still, or (2) coming to a legal stop, the ball must be out of the player’s hand before the pivot foot is raised off the floor.

d. If a player, with the ball in his possession, raises his pivot foot off the floor, he must pass or shoot before his pivot foot returns to the
floor. If he drops the ball while in the air, he may not be the first to touch the ball.

e. A player who falls to the floor while holding the ball, or while coming to a stop, may not gain an advantage by sliding.

f. A player who attempts a field goal may not be the first to touch the ball if it fails to touch the backboard, basket ring or another player.

g. A player may not be the first to touch his own pass unless the ball touches his back-board, basket ring or another player.

h. Upon ending his dribble or gaining control of the ball, a player may not touch the floor consecutively with the same foot (hop).

PENALTY: Loss of ball. The ball is awarded to the opposing team at the sideline, nearest spot of the violation but no nearer the baseline than the foul line extended.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The first step occurs when a foot, or both feet, touch the floor after gaining control of the ball.
That is the portion of the rule that makes plays legal in the NBA but illegal in under NCAA/NFHS rules.

For instance:

A1 gathers the ball with his left foot on the floor. He then steps with his right foot, then his left foot. Is this a legal play? Which foot is the pivot foot.

NBA: This is a legal play. A player is allowed two steps AFTER he has gathered the ball. In this play, the player gathers the ball with the left foot on the floor...steps with his right foot (which is the first step since it occurred after gaining control of the ball), then steps with his left foot (which is the 2nd step). In this play, the right foot is the pivot foot.

NCAA/NFHS: This is a travel. When A1 gathered the ball with the left foot on the floor, then stepped with the right foot, this made his left foot the pivot. He then picks up his pivot foot and places it back on the floor thus making it a travel.

In addition, it it not traveling in the NBA for a player holding the ball to fall to the ground. In addition, a player holding the ball my stand up with the ball as he has no pivot foot until he's standing. It is also traveling to be the first to touch the ball after a field goal attempt fails to the backboard or basket. Finally, a player may not self-pass.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 12:49pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
That is the portion of the rule that makes plays legal in the NBA but illegal in under NCAA/NFHS rules.

For instance:

A1 gathers the ball with his left foot on the floor. He then steps with his right foot, then his left foot. Is this a legal play? Which foot is the pivot foot.

NBA: This is a legal play. A player is allowed two steps AFTER he has gathered the ball. In this play, the player gathers the ball with the left foot on the floor...steps with his right foot (which is the first step since it occurred after gaining control of the ball), then steps with his left foot (which is the 2nd step). In this play, the right foot is the pivot foot.

NCAA/NFHS: This is a travel. When A1 gathered the ball with the left foot on the floor, then stepped with the right foot, this made his left foot the pivot. He then picks up his pivot foot and places it back on the floor thus making it a travel.

In addition, it it not traveling in the NBA for a player holding the ball to fall to the ground. In addition, a player holding the ball my stand up with the ball as he has no pivot foot until he's standing. It is also traveling to be the first to touch the ball after a field goal attempt fails to the backboard or basket. Finally, a player may not self-pass.
Brain...hurts....