Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 10:06am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
After talking with an observer from my conference regarding play #2:

Q: Does the UM's defense affect the RSBQ of OSU drive to the basket?
A: Yes. The illegal contact occurs before the ending drive to the basket.

The T is in poor position to officiate the play. The C has a closed look on the defender. The L is too far to make a call without seeming he is "fishing in someone's pond." However, the L should realize where the T is and has the best open look to see the constant riding on the OSU player's hip. I didn't see the whole game, but crew dynamics during the game are sometimes the reason calls are not made.
I totally disagree on the drive. For one they are running with each other. Also the OSU has his elbow out, which from my vantage point is not going to get you special consideration. The defender is just running with him. Also the dribble never loses the ball, stops from going where he wants to go or has to change direction. If anything the OSU is causing a lot of that contact.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

BTW...NCAAW just posted a video similar to a play like the last one (defender riding alongside the offensive player on the way to the goal) telling us it should be called since B1 isn't in LGP.

I will say I don't believe that should be applied here because the defender lost contact with the OSU player.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not consider contact to the face to be necessarily excessive, when the player does not go to the floor or was not an unusual basketball play.

Players are hit in the face all the time on shots and hardly anyone rules excessive contact when that occurs.

Peace
In this instance, though, the fouled player is taken to the floor.

In my games, which are definitely not this game, I'm probably going intentional. I'm surprised, but understand why, there's so little support for it in this game.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 11:05am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
In this instance, though, the fouled player is taken to the floor.

In my games, which are definitely not this game, I'm probably going intentional. I'm surprised, but understand why, there's so little support for it in this game.
I would not call that in my HS game. I see this often on shot attempts and missed block attempts.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Va Terp is right on !!!!!!!!!

Are you guys that saying that play two is a hand check really gonna make that call in OSU / UM with four seconds to go.

In 24 hrs you would go from Chysler Arena and $ 3,000 a game to 10 u boys at the local Y for $25 a game.....

Now who wants to make that call??????
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

John Adams says so.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Are you guys that saying that play two is a hand check really gonna make that call in OSU / UM with four seconds to go.

In 24 hrs you would go from Chysler Arena and $ 3,000 a game to 10 u boys at the local Y for $25 a game.....

Now who wants to make that call??????
CBS interview with NCAA director of officiating

This mentality of not calling a foul near the end of the game is in need of change. John Adams is trying to change that but it seems a lot of my fellow brethren are resistant to it.

I am also aware that certain conference supervisors don't agree with Mr. Adams' and address their staff how they want their conference games officiated. It puts the officials in a difficult situation and that is very unfortunate.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would not call that in my HS game. I see this often on shot attempts and missed block attempts.

Peace
You see a lot of guys pulled to the floor by their heads? Sounds like a rough league to me.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed with Rut twice in a week .........

Quote:
I totally disagree on the drive. For one they are running with each other. Also the OSU has his elbow out, which from my vantage point is not going to get you special consideration. The defender is just running with him. Also the dribble never loses the ball, stops from going where he wants to go or has to change direction. If anything the OSU is causing a lot of that contact.

Peace
Rut is exactly right when he says that the defender is running with him....ther is no attempt by the Mich player to reroute / impede...etc. the ball
handler. There is no "stayed hand" ( Al Battista lovers back east are laughing,,VA Terp / PG Ref / all you guys). This is a kid driving hard and a kid playin in your face D.

Now as far as me agreeeing with Rut twice in one week....any suggestions ?????
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
BTW...NCAAW just posted a video similar to a play like the last one (defender riding alongside the offensive player on the way to the goal) telling us it should be called since B1 isn't in LGP.

I will say I don't believe that should be applied here because the defender lost contact with the OSU player.
JMF -

No disrespect to you and the women's game, but I am not surprised. I have a very good friend on your side and he says at best OSU / Mich play is a 50 / 50 play. But can see why Debbie Williamson and the crowd wants that called.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I do not consider contact to the face to be necessarily excessive, when the player does not go to the floor or was not an unusual basketball play.

Players are hit in the face all the time on shots and hardly anyone rules excessive contact when that occurs.

Peace
I don't either, just pointing out that the rule does give room for that conclusion.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 01:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
You see a lot of guys pulled to the floor by their heads? Sounds like a rough league to me.
Again, call whatever you like. BUt you better call any shooter that is hit in the face and falls to the floor and IF every single time if that is the standard. If he was not playing the ball, certainly. He was playing the ball and that is what makes this an average foul for me.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 01:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I don't either, just pointing out that the rule does give room for that conclusion.
I agree you have rules support, but not common sense support. Not with how the rest of the game is called.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 01:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Guess I learned long time how to "Keep it movin."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post

Now as far as me agreeeing with Rut twice in one week....any suggestions ?????
I cannot even think of the last time you or I had even a conversation let alone disagreed with each other. I guess my comments mean more to you than yours will ever mean to me.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 01:14pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
I cannot even think of the last time you or I had even a conversation let alone disagreed with each other. I guess my comments mean more to you than yours will ever mean to me.

Peace
Ouch...that will leave a mark!
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Ouch...that will leave a mark!
What I was really hoping for was a suggestion from Billy Mac......however I opened the can of worms so what Rut said is only fair.