The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Maryland V. Michigan State

Anyone else see this game? Could the officials have checked the monitor? They told Izzo they couldn't but I heard from a college ref that he thought they could have.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

If I understand the situation. Maryland took a shot with one second left on the shot clock and the ball barely touched the rim (or didn't touch the rim). The officials ruled it touched the rim.

I don't think this situation can be reviewed by officials. There is a long list of provisions in the rulebook for replay use; a 2 or 3 point shot, who is the correct free throw shooter, shot is released before or after the end of the game, did a fight occur etc.... I think the officials were correct in their interpretation of the rule, whether they got the call right, I don't know. I didn't see the game nor the highlights.
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 11:07am
Lighten up, Francis.

NCAA 2-5-1h says that the officials can use the monitor to determine "that the shot clock failed to properly start, stop, set or reset or that the shot clock has malfunctioned." It doesn't sound like any of those things happened. The officials ruled that the ball hit the rim, so the reset was proper.

2-5-3c says that the officials shall NOT use the monitor for judgment calls such as a violation.

Seems to me that the on-court officials were correct -- at least as to whether they could check the monitor. I didn't see the play, so I have no idea if they got that part right.