The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Ohio State v. Michigan (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93902-ohio-state-v-michigan.html)

JRutledge Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:25pm

Ohio State v. Michigan

Need two plays in the last 7 seconds clipped up.

7.6 there is a foul to the face on after a rebound. The officials went to the monitor. You could even show the shot that resulted in the rebound.

Last shot by OSU, contact and no foul called. I think it was a good call.

Peace

AremRed Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 877286)
7.6 there is a foul to the face on after a rebound. The officials went to the monitor. You could even show the shot that resulted in the rebound.

Last shot by OSU, contact and no foul called. I think it was a good call.

Play #1: Flagrant 1

Play #2: Good no call on the shot. I have a handcheck on the drive with 4 seconds left.

yooperbballref Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:36pm

On the drive in, I would defently say there was contact there but was it enough to call? questionable.... The blocked shot was clean IMO.

I think the Mich player was playing defence on the drive very aggressively for the fact that they were not yet in the bounus.

scrounge Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:22am

I think Play #1 was a flagrant that went uncalled, with play #2 a foul - defender got him on the arm and top of head before the ball. But a no-call doesn't surprise me in that situation, it wasn't that blatant. But it was a foul.

JRutledge Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:28am

I did not think that Play #1 was a FF1 as the rules do not support that call explicitly. I am not even sure I would call that in a HS game with those rules either.

c. Flagrant 1 personal foul. A flagrant 1 personal foul shall be a personal foul that is deemed excessive in nature and/or unnecessary, but not based solely on the severity of the act. Examples include, but are not limited to:

1. Causing excessive contact with an opponent while playing the ball;

2. Contact that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball or player, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting;

3. Pushing or holding a player from behind to prevent a score;

4. Fouling a player clearly away from the ball who is not directly involved with the play, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting; and

5. Contact with a player making a throw-in. (Women) This act shall also serve as a team warning for reaching through the boundary. (See Rule 4-17.1.g.)

6. Illegal contact with an elbow that occurs above the shoulders of an opponent when the elbows are not swung excessively per 4-36.7.a.

Peace

APG Wed Feb 06, 2013 04:02am

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/CCI-8iET80E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/YVlvSooSRis" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Camron Rust Wed Feb 06, 2013 04:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 877302)
I did not think that Play #1 was a FF1 as the rules do not support that call explicitly. I am not even sure I would call that in a HS game with those rules either.

c. Flagrant 1 personal foul. A flagrant 1 personal foul shall be a personal foul that is deemed excessive in nature and/or unnecessary, but not based solely on the severity of the act. Examples include, but are not limited to:

1. Causing excessive contact with an opponent while playing the ball;

That one pretty much cover it....excessive contact.

Camron Rust Wed Feb 06, 2013 04:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrounge (Post 877299)
...with play #2 a foul - defender got him on the arm and top of head before the ball. But a no-call doesn't surprise me in that situation, it wasn't that blatant. But it was a foul.

While I'll agree with you on the arm, the contact with the head was not until after the ball was knocked free.

scrounge Wed Feb 06, 2013 07:59am

Even Michigan players thought it was a foul...

"I saw the ball in my face, so I just tried to wrap it up," Hardaway said. "Probably got his arm or something like that, but like I said, it's up to the refs to call that call, and they let it go."

[sigh]

NCAA College Basketball Recap - Ohio State Buckeyes at Michigan Wolverines - Feb 05, 2013 - CBSSports.com

bob jenkins Wed Feb 06, 2013 09:28am

No FF1.

No foul.

zm1283 Wed Feb 06, 2013 09:42am

No F1.

Good no call on the drive to the basket.

JRutledge Wed Feb 06, 2013 09:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 877319)
That one pretty much cover it....excessive contact.

I do not consider contact to the face to be necessarily excessive, when the player does not go to the floor or was not an unusual basketball play.

Players are hit in the face all the time on shots and hardly anyone rules excessive contact when that occurs.

Peace

dahoopref Wed Feb 06, 2013 09:59am

After talking with an observer from my conference regarding play #2:

Q: Does the UM's defense affect the RSBQ of OSU drive to the basket?
A: Yes. The illegal contact occurs before the ending drive to the basket.

The T is in poor position to officiate the play. The C has a closed look on the defender. The L is too far to make a call without seeming he is "fishing in someone's pond." However, the L should realize where the T is and has the best open look to see the constant riding on the OSU player's hip. I didn't see the whole game, but crew dynamics during the game are sometimes the reason calls are not made.

VaTerp Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:03am

I agree with the judgement of the crew on both a common foul on the first play and a no-call on the second one.

Both close, but I think they were absolutely the correct calls.

VaTerp Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanwestref (Post 877287)
Play #1: Flagrant 1

Play #2: Good no call on the shot. I have a handcheck on the drive with 4 seconds left.

You call and signal a handcheck in this situation and it will be one of the last calls you make at that level.