The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

I've got a slightly different and apparently unpopular take on the first T. "A "no way" and a turning brush off in a 30 point game? I'm not going to argue with a T here but I may have handled it differently, especially if I can let the coach know that "#22 is being a d-bag, you may want to yank him or say something to him (not in those words)." And personally I don't like the "easy, you don't want another one" line b/c depending on the way it's delivered it easy for that to come across as a threat and get a negative reaction.

I'm not criticizing here just offering food for thought on perhaps handling this a little differently. And certainly not blaming you for Vs antics but maybe their frustration doesnt escalate if they don't get Td up late and down 30.

T #2 sounds easy.

The 3rd situation is a tough one for you b/c I can see how you don't want to come off as T happy so early in your career. But if he makes eye contact with you and you see that gesture you need to toss him without thinking twice. And in the report I'd take JetMet's advice and keep emotions out of it but do have all details ready and check your local listings for what they want in the initial report. Around here, if we issue a flagrant technical our assignor wants every single detail.
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 02:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'd never send a kid to the locker room for an F bomb. Ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Are we allowed to "eject" high school basketball players? I thought that we were only allowed to "eject" adults?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
Correct. Adults are ejected from the venue, kids are DQ'd/ejected from the game to the bench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
We can if the kid continues to be a disruption, but I rank that up there with forfeiting the game on the list of things that only happen after I've tried everything else.

Or so I recall. Now that I'm thinking about it, I can't remember if this was a state rule or a Fed rule.
Sorry fellas - in FIBA, a disqualifying foul results in ejection from the game and the venue, should have clarified.
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 06:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
The They'll probably ask for a report and all you do is write "Player V2 received a flagrant technical for violating Rule 10-3-6b."
By rule, is it an automatic Flagrant Technical Foul for violating Rule 10-3-6b?

It is in 10-3-1 and 10-3-8.
Richland, WA
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
By rule, is it an automatic Flagrant Technical Foul for violating Rule 10-3-6b?

It is in 10-3-1 and 10-3-8.
Nope. In this case it would've been flagrant since it was V2's second T. However even if it was his first T for me it also would've been his last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
personally I don't like the "easy, you don't want another one" line b/c depending on the way it's delivered it easy for that to come across as a threat and get a negative reaction.
Terp, I agree with you here. This falls into "the less you say, the better" category. Saying nothing is probably the best thing since it won't elicit a response. Since I'm a "vet" (wow, I feel old) I might say "yep" and then move toward the table but I'm not getting into a back and forth with a teenager. It's probably the dad in me.

Of course, this doesn't excuse the kid giving the brush-off but it's a good point to mention to our young officiating friends.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 01:39am.