The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 10:45am
Often wrong never n doubt

Should have I pulled the trigger?

Background. This is my 3rd Varisty game and I am working with a very respected veteren official who does a great job. H team is leading by around 30 in the 4th when things start to go down hill. I signal a foul on a V1 who looks at me and says "on me?" to which I reply "yes". He then quite loudly says "no way!". I say "easy you don't want another one" He starts to turn and as he does gives me the brush off with his hand. I then call a technical. I tried to give him some rope but the no way was fairly loud and heard by some of the crowd and then he gave me the brush off. I report the T and the coach was upset saying they were getting it handed to them and basically I should cut the kid some slack since he didn't swear. I told him I gave him 3 chances.

A short time later V2 is taking the ball out of bounds following a basket by H and was upset that he thought he was fouled. He looked at me and said "fu**ing -------" I honestly don't even know what the second word was as I was giving him the T during it. I have some speculations on the word but I don't even think it matters.

I report the T and the coach wants to talk to me. He says "Listen guy, we are getting it handed it to us." I cut them off and said "I don't care if it is 100 to nothing he isn't going to direct the f bomb at me. Coach immediately turns around to get a sub.

My partner and I switch so I can administer the freethrows. Before I bounce the ball my partner whistles that we have a sub. I hold up. Just to the left of my partner but behind him V2, the kid I just gave the T to makes eye contact sticks his tongue agaist his cheek and puts his other hand up next to his face for the universal BJ signal. I am about to whistle him for his second tech but hold back as I didn't want to seem like I was a hot head rookie by giving him his second T from 70 feet away.

What are your thoughts on both T's and the almost T?
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 10:54am
NFHS Official

You were right. They can't talk like that. Could have tossed the kid, but I might have "not seen" the BJ sign, because the coach seemed to be taking care of it. However I would have supported you for tossing him as well.

Last edited by OKREF; Sat Jan 19, 2013 at 10:57am.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

If I'm doing that game he's gone.

No way a student/athlete gets away with that.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 11:25am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
Background. This is my 3rd Varisty game and I am working with a very respected veteren official who does a great job. H team is leading by around 30 in the 4th when things start to go down hill. I signal a foul on a V1 who looks at me and says "on me?" to which I reply "yes". He then quite loudly says "no way!". I say "easy you don't want another one" He starts to turn and as he does gives me the brush off with his hand. I then call a technical.
Good T.

Quote:
A short time later V2 is taking the ball out of bounds following a basket by H and was upset that he thought he was fouled. He looked at me and said "fu**ing -------" I honestly don't even know what the second word was as I was giving him the T during it. I have some speculations on the word but I don't even think it matters.
Flagrant T.

Quote:
My partner and I switch so I can administer the freethrows. Before I bounce the ball my partner whistles that we have a sub. I hold up. Just to the left of my partner but behind him V2, the kid I just gave the T to makes eye contact sticks his tongue agaist his cheek and puts his other hand up next to his face for the universal BJ signal. I am about to whistle him for his second tech but hold back as I didn't want to seem like I was a hot head rookie by giving him his second T from 70 feet away.
With that gesture, I'd be thinking about forfeiting the game. No way this is appropriate, especially in an educational setting. In fact, I would hope my local board would enact a removal of services until a written apology is made and a suspension of 2 or more games. Short of the forfeit, a flagrant T.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 11:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Background. This is my 3rd Varisty game and I am working with a very respected veteren official who does a great job. H team is leading by around 30 in the 4th when things start to go down hill. I signal a foul on a V1 who looks at me and says "on me?" to which I reply "yes". He then quite loudly says "no way!". I say "easy you don't want another one" He starts to turn and as he does gives me the brush off with his hand. I then call a technical. I tried to give him some rope but the no way was fairly loud and heard by some of the crowd and then he gave me the brush off. I report the T and the coach was upset saying they were getting it handed to them and basically I should cut the kid some slack since he didn't swear. I told him I gave him 3 chances.

I report the T and the coach wants to talk to me. He says "Listen guy, we are getting it handed it to us." I cut them off and said "I don't care if it is 100 to nothing he isn't going to direct the f bomb at me. Coach immediately turns around to get a sub.

I would've called a flagrant T at that point. Without thinking twice. You'll get there eventually.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 02:16pm
This IS My Social Life

No Brainers on Your Part

Report all this to proper authorities, for sure.
Coaches who rage against you for things they don't see at the time sometimes identify with your decision after reviewing video. We had a taunting T this past week that I know the coach didn't see himself but after reviewing our film which was taken from right next to the school camera operator, I know he'll see the reason for the call when he sees his film.
If all things happened as you describe, you were right on all counts with the exception of holding off on that last one. I've never seen that particular gesture, but it doesn't have much to do with educational athletics, I don't think.

Last edited by Freddy; Sat Jan 19, 2013 at 02:19pm.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Definitely send the kid to the locker room for the screaming f-bomb. Then he doesn't even have a chance to stick around and make a further jackazz out of himself.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 02:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
Definitely send the kid to the locker room for the screaming f-bomb. Then he doesn't even have a chance to stick around and make a further jackazz out of himself.
I'd never send a kid to the locker room for an F bomb. Ever.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 04:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Eject ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'd never send a kid to the locker room for an F bomb. Ever.
Are we allowed to "eject" high school basketball players? I thought that we were only allowed to "eject" adults?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 04:42pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Just to the left of my partner but behind him V2, the kid I just gave the T to makes eye contact sticks his tongue agaist his cheek and puts his other hand up next to his face for the universal BJ signal.
"Hey kid - if you want to send a message to your boyfriend, wait until you're on the bench".
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Are we allowed to "eject" high school basketball players? I thought that we were only allowed to "eject" adults?
Correct. Adults are ejected from the venue, kids are DQ'd/ejected from the game to the bench.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 07:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
Correct. Adults are ejected from the venue, kids are DQ'd/ejected from the game to the bench.
We can if the kid continues to be a disruption, but I rank that up there with forfeiting the game on the list of things that only happen after I've tried everything else.

Or so I recall. Now that I'm thinking about it, I can't remember if this was a state rule or a Fed rule.

Last edited by Adam; Sat Jan 19, 2013 at 07:17pm.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2013, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just to the left of my partner but behind him V2, the kid I just gave the T to makes eye contact sticks his tongue agaist his cheek and puts his other hand up next to his face for the universal BJ signal. I am about to whistle him for his second tech but hold back as I didn't want to seem like I was a hot head rookie by giving him his second T from 70 feet away.

The techs you called were fine. It's always the ones we don't call that eat at us. I wouldn't have had a problem with calling the second on V2, even when I was in my early years. At that point, in the words of officials much smarter than me, he's telling you he doesn't want to be there anymore. Feel free to oblige him.

After that, as was mentioned, contact your assigner and your board and let them contact the school. They'll probably ask for a report and all you do is write "Player V2 received a flagrant technical for violating Rule 10-3-6b." If they as for more, tell them exactly what he did but keep emotions out of it.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 12:42am
AremRed

Quote:
I honestly don't even know what the second word was as I was giving him the T during it. I have some speculations on the word but I don't even think it matters.
Hi Jeremy! Do you think it would matter if the second word was a racial/sexual slur?
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 01:02am
Often wrong never n doubt

Yeah that would matter. I'm pretty sure it was bullsh*t or horsesh*t.