The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Was I Trigger Happy?

Had a game yesterday where I set a personal record, 3 ejections within 5-10 minutes.

Firstly, OBR rules.

Offense had a runner at first base and the pitcher attempted a pick off. The runner attempted to slide back into first but instead of sliding into the bag, slid into the foot of the first baseman. Fairly straightforward call in my mind, the runner had over half the bag to slide back into but instead slid directly into the first baseman's foot and never got back to the base. I called the runner out.

The runner immediately gets up and says, "You're "F'ed" up!". Ejection #1.

The first base coach then started questioning whether the first baseman was blocking first base. I explained what I saw, whereby the first baseman was standing on first base with his heel on the base and his toes off the side of the bag, not taking up more then 4-5 inches of the bag, leaving at least 10" for the base runner. At one point, the coach says something to the effect of "You're crazy", ejection #2.

The manager then comes over from third base and we start the discussion over again. After about 10 seconds the manager turns around and returns to his position at third base. Game continues.

Subsequent batter gets on base and the manager, from third base, starts complaining that the first baseman is blocking the bag. Firstly, regardless of what the first baseman is doing there isn't a play being made so it doesn't matter. However, when I looked from my position in the infield I could clearly see most of the base and told the manager that there was lots of room for the runner. The manager then turned to his bench and yelled, "Well boys, looks like we're going back real hard to first." Ejection #3. I'm not going to allow a coach/manager to instruct his players to attempt to injure the opposition.

Leaving myself open here but was I trigger happy?
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

First one: Correct.
Second one: Depends on the tone and volume. HTBT probably to get a good feel for it.
Third one: I would have called "Time" and told him to "Knock it off". EJ's may follow depending on him and any of his players' actions after it during the game. But, on the side of safety, I don't see any problem with that EJ.
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

EJ #1: No question, he's gone!

EJ #2: Depends. I would make the call, but not explain it to him. He's an assistant, and I would tell him I will discuss it with the head coach if he feels its necessary. If the assistant persists, then he's gone.

EJ #3: He's trying to show you up. Dump him.
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Gosh,

Quote:
""Knock it off""
Over the last ten or so years on this Board we have discussed this statement over-and-over.

As an experienced umpire (and instructor) I teach NOT to say this statement. It sounds like two 10 years old bickering on a play ground.

We find "Hey Skip, we're not going to go there!" a much better starting point.

YMMV

T
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

1. gone
2. gone
3. gone
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 04:03pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
Over the last ten or so years on this Board we have discussed this statement over-and-over.

As an experienced umpire (and instructor) I teach NOT to say this statement. It sounds like two 10 years old bickering on a play ground.

We find "Hey Skip, we're not going to go there!" a much better starting point.

YMMV

T
Depends on the level. If we're talking HS/college baseball, I agree with you. Summer ball? "Knock it off" is probably exactly the tone I'm looking for.
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Was I Trigger Happy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibear View Post
I explained what I saw, whereby the first baseman was standing on first base with his heel on the base and his toes off the side of the bag, not taking up more then 4-5 inches of the bag, leaving at least 10" for the base runner.
Don't quote measurements, inches, 1/2 of the bag, etc. Just say "F3 was not blocking access to the bag". If the coach continues, he is arguing your judgement, not the amount of space F3 left.

BTW, I like "That's enough" with a stop sign better than "Knock it off". Don't make life complicated.
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

My .02:

1. He ejected himself, you told everyone that he got what he wanted.
2. HTBT, but from what you said, he bought his own parking lot ticket.
3. See #2, but when he shouts like that into the dugout, I don't blame you.

To answer the other part of the question:

Go look at yourself in the mirror and ask two questions:

1. Was I in control of my emotions when I ejected all of these people?
2. Would you do it again if the same situation occured right now?

When you look yourself in the eyes and answer the questions, then you know if you were trigger happy.
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Normally the only ejection you regret is the one you didn't make!
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibear View Post
Had a game yesterday where I set a personal record, 3 ejections within 5-10 minutes.

Firstly, OBR rules.

Offense had a runner at first base and the pitcher attempted a pick off. The runner attempted to slide back into first but instead of sliding into the bag, slid into the foot of the first baseman. Fairly straightforward call in my mind, the runner had over half the bag to slide back into but instead slid directly into the first baseman's foot and never got back to the base. I called the runner out.

The runner immediately gets up and says, "You're "F'ed" up!". Ejection #1.

The first base coach then started questioning whether the first baseman was blocking first base. I explained what I saw, whereby the first baseman was standing on first base with his heel on the base and his toes off the side of the bag, not taking up more then 4-5 inches of the bag, leaving at least 10" for the base runner. At one point, the coach says something to the effect of "You're crazy", ejection #2.

The manager then comes over from third base and we start the discussion over again. After about 10 seconds the manager turns around and returns to his position at third base. Game continues.

Subsequent batter gets on base and the manager, from third base, starts complaining that the first baseman is blocking the bag. Firstly, regardless of what the first baseman is doing there isn't a play being made so it doesn't matter. However, when I looked from my position in the infield I could clearly see most of the base and told the manager that there was lots of room for the runner. The manager then turned to his bench and yelled, "Well boys, looks like we're going back real hard to first." Ejection #3. I'm not going to allow a coach/manager to instruct his players to attempt to injure the opposition.

Leaving myself open here but was I trigger happy?
Dump 1 and 2 and ask coach what exactly does he mean for 3rd sit, and then dump him when he answers.
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Dump 1 and 2 and ask coach what exactly does he mean for 3rd sit, and then dump him when he answers.
If someone gets dumped for answering an umpire's question, then either a) the question should not have been asked, b) he was baited, or c) both.
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Couple of questions before I answer whether or not you were trigger happy.

You say OBR right?
You also say the runner slid into his foot. Did the throw take him there, or was he already there? because you go on to admit to the coach that 1B was blocking some of the bag.

If these are true, I think the coach and the runner have a little leeway to complain. This is textbook obstruction in OBR.
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigda65 View Post

You say OBR right?
You also say the runner slid into his foot. Did the throw take him there, or was he already there? because you go on to admit to the coach that 1B was blocking some of the bag.

If these are true, I think the coach and the runner have a little leeway to complain. This is textbook obstruction in OBR.
Not exactly sure it makes a difference since there was plenty of access to the bag, but in this situation the first baseman was in the act of catching the ball when his foot was put on the bag.
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigda65 View Post

You say OBR right?

How about quoting exactly where in that textbook for OBR you are reading because, I am unaware of how this is obstuction.
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Under the definition of "Obstruction"

OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball and
not in the act of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner.
Rule 2.00 (Obstruction) Comment: If a fielder is about to receive a thrown ball and if the ball is in
flight directly toward and near enough to the fielder so he must occupy his position to receive the ball he
may be considered “in the act of fielding a ball.” It is entirely up to the judgment of the umpire as to
whether a fielder is in the act of fielding a ball. After a fielder has made an attempt to field a ball and
missed, he can no longer be in the “act of fielding” the ball. For example: an infielder dives at a ground
ball and the ball passes him and he continues to lie on the ground and delays the progress of the runner,
he very likely has obstructed the runner.