The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 23, 2003, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

This isn't so much a rule question as an application of the rule question.

Situation: R1 on 2nd. F6 playing a bit deep, behind the base line. Batter hits an infield grounder up the middle. F6 is charging on the ball, R1 is advancing to 3rd. R1 runs in front of F6 and behind the ball. No contact is made.

What do you look for before calling interference?

If everything was in very close quarters, is that enough for interference? Who gets the benefit of the doubt?

In discussing non-contact interference during my "down time" in a tournament this weekend, I found that the majority opinion was that F6 would have to show obvious signs of being impeded (slow down, stutter step, deviate in some way) to get the call.

What do you look for in this situation?
Old Mon Jun 23, 2003, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

I agree with the majority that you spoke to at your touney.
I've got to see some obvious sign that the runner is trying to impede the fielder's play on the ball. Just running by (close) in advancing to the next base, is not gonna get the interfence call out of me.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2003, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Follett
I agree with the majority that you spoke to at your touney.
I've got to see some obvious sign that the runner is trying to impede the fielder's play on the ball. Just running by (close) in advancing to the next base, is not gonna get the interfence call out of me.
Ditto with a caveat. If the runner hesitated, and in my judgment (God, I love those words) did so for the express purpose of timing the passing with the ball approaching the fielder, I'm going to give every benefit of doubt to the fielder.

Old Mon Jun 23, 2003, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Concur. And when I will call INT depends on what level I am working. 10U, you're going to basically have to smack into the fielder to merit an interference call, and the same goes for obstruction. For a lot of the girls in my league it's a miracle they were paying attention to the base coach enough to start running - and this is true even in travel at times.

At an older level, if there's a sign of being impeded. Does the fielder, in your opinion, have a more difficult play to make because of an action taken (or not taken) by the runner? If yes, interference. If no, nothing.

By the way, does someone have the base awards for a situation like this handy? I am in France and don't have my FED book with me. Thanks in advance.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2003, 12:21pm
VaASAump

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Ditto with a caveat. If the runner hesitated, and in my judgment (God, I love those words) did so for the express purpose of timing the passing with the ball approaching the fielder, I'm going to give every benefit of doubt to the fielder.

[/B]
Caveat???? Darn English!!
Old Mon Jun 23, 2003, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to pollywolly60
I'm in my third year of umpiring, and this is one call I have yet to make. Anytime it has been called, my partner has called it before I had a chance to ( my fault, too slow to see it and call it). So I'm still a little unsure of what I will call interference and what I won't, but I tend to agree that the fielder would have to look like they were interfered with in some way. I'm hoping after I make the call a couple of times I will be more sure of what I will call interference and what I won't.
I believe base awards would be "dead ball", all runners remain at base last legally reached safely at the time of the "dead ball" call. And of course, the runner that interfered is OUT!
Old Mon Jun 23, 2003, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with the majority of the respondents to this thread.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2003, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IHSAIllini
Concur. And when I will call INT depends on what level I am working. 10U, you're going to basically have to smack into the fielder to merit an interference call, and the same goes for obstruction. For a lot of the girls in my league it's a miracle they were paying attention to the base coach enough to start running - and this is true even in travel at times.

At an older level, if there's a sign of being impeded. Does the fielder, in your opinion, have a more difficult play to make because of an action taken (or not taken) by the runner? If yes, interference. If no, nothing.

By the way, does someone have the base awards for a situation like this handy? I am in France and don't have my FED book with me. Thanks in advance.
I tend to lean the opposite way. Interference would have a much broader definition at 10u than at 18u. My feeling is at the younger ages, it would not take as much to distract or hinder the fielder. The older players, in my opinion, should be able to make the play through more "distraction".

This is only a guideline that I use, not a hard and fast interpretation. I also use Mike's guidelines of the actions of the runners.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2003, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by IHSAIllini
By the way, does someone have the base awards for a situation like this handy? I am in France and don't have my FED book with me. Thanks in advance. [/B]
un, deux, trois