The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 12:02am
LeftyRef

Thumbs down Pull the trigger?

I was working the bases at a freshman game this evening. In the bottom of the first inning, there was a banger at first. I called the runner out, much to the dismay of the home crowd, but the inning was over. I began my walk to shallow right field. As I'm walking, I see the home team manager turn to address the spectators sitting behind his bench. He asks the crowd (loudly enough for me to hear in shallow right): "Is there anyone here besides ths umpire who thinks he was out?"

I didn't think this warranted an ejection at the time, but the more I think about it, the more I don't like that he addressed the spectators. The rule that immediately came to mind is OBR 4.06(a): "No manager/player shall incite, or try to incite, by word or sign a demonstration from the spectators." The penalty here is removal from the game.

Did I miss this one in this situation?
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyRef
I was working the bases at a freshman game this evening. In the bottom of the first inning, there was a banger at first. I called the runner out, much to the dismay of the home crowd, but the inning was over. I began my walk to shallow right field. As I'm walking, I see the home team manager turn to address the spectators sitting behind his bench. He asks the crowd (loudly enough for me to hear in shallow right): "Is there anyone here besides ths umpire who thinks he was out?"

I didn't think this warranted an ejection at the time, but the more I think about it, the more I don't like that he addressed the spectators. The rule that immediately came to mind is OBR 4.06(a): "No manager/player shall incite, or try to incite, by word or sign a demonstration from the spectators." The penalty here is removal from the game.

Let me respond in this fashion:

I was working a JUCO game in which the third base coach (not the skipper) grabbed a runner who was getting too big of a lead and pushed him back to third just before a pick-off attempt.

I called interference on the coach.

He then turned to the crowd and announced, loudly, "Oh great. What we have here is an umpire who thinks he's more important than the game."

He left the facility seconds later.
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... the home team manager turn to address the spectators sitting behind his bench.

No, your partner did. He should have your back on this one.
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Cheap!

Quote:

I wouldn't say you missed anything. You're where you are supposed to be, coach though is walking a tight rope.

Upon hearing this type of comment though, he's on a very short leash the rest of the night.

Now, if you are PU and you had made a call and he's questioning that might be different, but you're in RF.

Make a call from there and everyone will tag you as 'rabbit ears.'

The best thing I've learned from 27+ years if how to make coaches mad when I ignore them. Took a long time to learn, but is priceless now.

Thanks
David
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

I wonder whether these coaches are aware how "bush" they look to people who know baseball. By such behavior, they are announcing to the world that they are merely dilettantes in the game. Nobody who spent a lot of time on ballfields would ever address the crowd in such a whiney, school-lunchroom-monitor fashion.

They also tip us off that they are pure dabblers when they question rules that are common knowledge even on the sandlot. We don't expect coaches to be experts, but when you hear, "Johnny forgot and missed his at bat, so can he bat now to make up for it?" or "He's out, ump. He threw the bat!" you can't help saying to yourself, "This clown never played ball."
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Gee, what would I have done?

As described, I believe he wanted the rest of the night off, and I would have obliged him.

Arnie

You can't fix stupid - Ron White
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Dump him quick.
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 08:49am
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
I wouldn't say you missed anything. You're where you are supposed to be, coach though is walking a tight rope.

Upon hearing this type of comment though, he's on a very short leash the rest of the night.

Now, if you are PU and you had made a call and he's questioning that might be different, but you're in RF.

Make a call from there and everyone will tag you as 'rabbit ears.'

The best thing I've learned from 27+ years if how to make coaches mad when I ignore them. Took a long time to learn, but is priceless now.

Thanks
David
So essentially, what you are saying is that you are another one of those guys that won't eject in obvious ejection situations?
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Short leash? He!! no. This is an immediate dump, every time, no hesitation. He's practically begging you to toss him. And if you didn't, and I was PU, I would have.
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Not even close

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
So essentially, what you are saying is that you are another one of those guys that won't eject in obvious ejection situations?

Edited to add: This is a freshman game - not varsity and I expect the coaches to be stupid.

Not even close. This is not an ejection situation. I'm in right field, what the coach wants to tell the fans is his business.

But it is noted, and if a "so called" coach is that stupid, he'll pay the price sooner or later.

See, the coach won't just stop their. He'll say something else later and then everyone will know why he's ejected.

In this situation, for an umpire to come from his spot in RF and eject a coach by the dugout is simply poor game management.

That tells everyone, I can't take it and I'm going to "get this coach".

But by ignoring him and then waiting for the right opportunity, it gives me the upper hand.

Like I said earlier, I guess I just have the reputation and experience to get away with it, what a coach tells me from afar don't affect me.

But it is always "noted".

Thanks
David

Last edited by David B; Mon May 14, 2007 at 10:36am.
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Short leash? He!! no. This is an immediate dump, every time, no hesitation. He's practically begging you to toss him. And if you didn't, and I was PU, I would have.
Exactly, its the PU's job to handle the dugouts.

I'm not coming out of RF to eject a coach in a freshman game.

But in the situation described, he was the BU, not the PU!

Thanks
David
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks
David
You misunderstand me. This is BU's ejection. But if he fails to assist the manager in his desire to be dumped, I'd be right there.
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks
David
I'm betting you'd react the same in a varsity game, instead of this "lowly" frosh game. Baseball is baseball, and a high school team's players and coaches at any level do (or should) understand the game. If I can hear it, it was meant for me to hear! Goodby every time! I wont bank the comments, waiting for a more opportune time, it may not come, and all now know that you take abuse, except for that teams next game umpires who might have to deal with it...
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Good thing I wasn't working the game. I would have walked up to the stands and asked (just as he did) "Now who thinks other than the coach that he should be tossed from the game?"

If they agree you follow up with "Well at least we agree on something" and toss him. If not "Well you're not going to agree with anything I do" and toss him as well. Showmanship is not always for the coach.

Although 90% of the time I would dump quick and fast from right field.
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger49
Good thing I wasn't working the game. I would have walked up to the stands and asked (just as he did) "Now who thinks other than the coach that he should be tossed from the game?"

No, you wouldn't. Let's not add (detract) from the already-sterling reputation of (some) Canadian umpires here.

Quote:
Foolishness is not always for the coach.

Fixed.