The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 07:52am
Esteemed Forum Member

Twenty Players In The Book ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Agreed. If he's received a T, lost his coaching box privileges, then he can sit anywhere he wants to on the bench. No rule says he has to continue sitting within the confines of the box.
So in the extreme case of a very, very, long bench, with lots, and lots, of substitutes, while seated all the way down on the endline, he can stand up to request a timeout?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
So in the extreme case of a very, very, long bench, with lots, and lots, of substitutes, while seated all the way down on the endline, he can stand up to request a timeout?
Sure. Why would he not be able to, in that oddball scenario?
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 09:04am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm guessing that you know that I know that.
Yes I do
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 09:05am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
yes
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Thanks, JAR. If he's been using the box, he has to stay in it. If he hasn't then he can stay wherever he wants but that means he wouldn't have had coaching box privileges during that game prior to the T.

So...if he's been using the box since the start of the game, my first answer applies.

If he hasn't been using the box since the start of the game, he shouldn't have been afforded any of the coaching box rights in the first place.
I get it.

Coach stands in the box. Gets whacked.

Now, coach leaves the box to go sit at the end of the bench.

Whack the coach again as soon as he steps out of the box on his / her way to his/her seat.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 10:37am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
The box is irrelevant once he is not allowed to stand and coach in it. I couldn't care less where he sits as long as it's somewhere on the bench. As long as he's behaving himself, why worry about such things?
I've gotten 2 emails from a college supervisor this week telling us we are not enforcing the coaches sitting in chairs within the box.

So apparently somebody cares, and it's somebody who signs checks.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 10:55am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I've gotten 2 emails from a college supervisor this week telling us we are not enforcing the coaches sitting in chairs within the box.

There is no such rule in NFHS basketball once the coach no longer has access to the box. He can sit anywhere on the bench. If he is going to use the box during the game and starts the game seated, it must be within the box. When the box here was only 6' it was a real pain to tell the coach his chair had to be in there -- it reminded me of a small jail cell.

Obviously, in NCAA basketball things are different since the coach doesn't lose the box after a technical foul. And of course the box is 28' long. So there it makes perfect sense to expect that the coach always be in the box.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There is no such rule in NFHS basketball once the coach no longer has access to the box. He can sit anywhere on the bench. If he is going to use the box during the game and starts the game seated, it must be within the box. When the box here was only 6' it was a real pain to tell the coach his chair had to be in there -- it reminded me of a small jail cell.

Obviously, in NCAA basketball things are different since the coach doesn't lose the box after a technical foul. And of course the box is 28' long. So there it makes perfect sense to expect that the coach always be in the box.
Right. "Bench area" and "coaches box" are (nearly) synonymous in NCAA; not so in FED.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

What!!??

You mean college coaches can get T'd? Anybody see end of MD-NC State? MD coach had to set high jump record protesting a call way out onto floor...guess now he's glad ole Roger didnt whack him
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I only work high school so I'm not aware of any college specific rules in this area. Sorry if I created any confusion. Since the new mods are having fun playing with name titles, maybe they can figure out a way to denote which rulesets we officiate under as part of our post headers. That might help imply context for situations like this.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The difference is that, if they sit outside the box, they must stand outside the box to go between their seat and the box which would put them at odds with the rule. They're using that seat location to effectively extend the size of the box to their advantage...allowing them closer to mid-court than they should be.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 12:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I only work high school so I'm not aware of any college specific rules in this area. Sorry if I created any confusion. Since the new mods are having fun playing with name titles, maybe they can figure out a way to denote which rulesets we officiate under as part of our post headers. That might help imply context for situations like this.
Sorry, it's up to the posters to put that in the thread titles. Some threads benefit from looking at multiple rulesets, too.

Besides, we've moved on -- we (the moderator group) spent over an hour yesterday in an online chat trying to decide what color our names should be and whether they should be bolded or not. Important stuff, indeed.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 01:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Sorry, it's up to the posters to put that in the thread titles. Some threads benefit from looking at multiple rulesets, too.

Besides, we've moved on -- we (the moderator group) spent over an hour yesterday in an online chat trying to decide what color our names should be and whether they should be bolded or not. Important stuff, indeed.
Next up, avatars.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Use a signature that denotes which rulesets you officiate which is already done by some posters.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Next up, avatars.
I hope not.