The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Head Coach location

In a state using optional coaching box, HC gets T'd and must park his hiney. Is there any requirement now about where, up and down the bench, he may sit? It would seem to me he should have to take a seat adjacent to the 14' box, so that when he did rise as allowed, he'd be in box area. I doubt he would be anywhere else, and don't think he should get up and go to far end near baseline, whether he's visiting water cooler or coaching from that corner. Any comments?
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

The box is irrelevant once he is not allowed to stand and coach in it. I couldn't care less where he sits as long as it's somewhere on the bench. As long as he's behaving himself, why worry about such things?
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
In a state using optional coaching box, HC gets T'd and must park his hiney. Is there any requirement now about where, up and down the bench, he may sit? It would seem to me he should have to take a seat adjacent to the 14' box, so that when he did rise as allowed, he'd be in box area. I doubt he would be anywhere else, and don't think he should get up and go to far end near baseline, whether he's visiting water cooler or coaching from that corner. Any comments?
By rule the head coach must sit within the coaching box, regardless of whether he/she has received a technical (10-5-1, 1-13-2). All the technical does is remove his/her walking around privileges.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
By rule the head coach must sit within the coaching box, regardless of whether he/she has received a technical (10-5-1, 1-13-2).
Is that really what it says? That a coach must sit within the confines of where the coaching box is outlined? I didn't realize it actually says that. But I still don't really care as long as he's behaving himself.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 03:32pm
We don't rent pigs

10.5.1C says a coach may sit anywhere on the bench, not necessarily inside the box. But if he does, he may not use the box during the game.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 03:34pm
This IS My Social Life

Am I Lookin' at This Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
The box is irrelevant once he is not allowed to stand and coach in it. I couldn't care less where he sits as long as it's somewhere on the bench. As long as he's behaving himself, why worry about such things?
Not correct. 10-5-1: "The head coach shall remain seated on the team bench, except..." Then, if a. is allowed but he "lost the box", he can still b., c., d., and e., but the preliminary expectation stated prior to a. still applies.
Right?

EDIT: Oh, I think I see what you mean..."as long as it's somewhere on the bench" is your operative phrase. You saying that "somewhere on the bench" might not necessary be "in the box"? He might possibly be "on the bench" but no longer "in the box." Which looks like it would be okay.

Last edited by Freddy; Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 03:40pm.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Not correct. 10-5-1: "The head coach shall remain seated on the team bench, except..." Then, if a. is allowed but he "lost the box", he can still b., c., d., and e., but the preliminary expectation stated prior to a. still applies.
Right?
WTF?
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 03:41pm
We don't rent pigs

If he's not using the box, voluntarily or otherwise, he may sit anywhere on the bench.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 03:42pm
This IS My Social Life

Wtf???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
WTF?
What does the Wisconsin Tourist Federation have to do with the topic?

(see my edit, which unfortunately came a little late..... )
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, JAR. If he's been using the box, he has to stay in it. If he hasn't then he can stay wherever he wants but that means he wouldn't have had coaching box privileges during that game prior to the T.

So...if he's been using the box since the start of the game, my first answer applies.

If he hasn't been using the box since the start of the game, he shouldn't have been afforded any of the coaching box rights in the first place.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 09:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Thanks, JAR. If he's been using the box, he has to stay in it. If he hasn't then he can stay wherever he wants but that means he wouldn't have had coaching box privileges during that game prior to the T.

So...if he's been using the box since the start of the game, my first answer applies.

If he hasn't been using the box since the start of the game, he shouldn't have been afforded any of the coaching box rights in the first place.
Once he's whacked, though, he can sit anywhere on the bench -- but he needs to stay there.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 10:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Once he's whacked, though, he can sit anywhere on the bench -- but he needs to stay there.
Exactly. He's only required to stay within the box if he's using it. Once he loses it, no such requirement exists. And letemplay's thought about bring in the box when rising as allowed doesn't matter, either. As even if the coach relinquishes the box by sitting outside it, he can still rise as otherwise allowed.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:11pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
They can still do the following.

b. The head coach may stand within the coaching box to request a time-out or signal his/her players to request a time-out.

c. The head coach may stand and/or leave the coaching box to confer with personnel at the scorer's table to request a time-out as in 5-8-4.

d. The head coach may stand within the coaching box to replace or remove a disqualified/injured player or player directed to leave the game.

e. The head coach may stand as in 10-4-4c and 10-4-4d.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
They can still do the following.

b. The head coach may stand within the coaching box to request a time-out or signal his/her players to request a time-out.

c. The head coach may stand and/or leave the coaching box to confer with personnel at the scorer's table to request a time-out as in 5-8-4.

d. The head coach may stand within the coaching box to replace or remove a disqualified/injured player or player directed to leave the game.

e. The head coach may stand as in 10-4-4c and 10-4-4d.
I'm guessing that you know that I know that.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agreed. If he's received a T, lost his coaching box privileges, then he can sit anywhere he wants to on the bench. No rule says he has to continue sitting within the confines of the box.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 11:46pm.