The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Head Coach location (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93547-head-coach-location.html)

letemplay Wed Jan 16, 2013 02:58pm

Head Coach location

In a state using optional coaching box, HC gets T'd and must park his hiney. Is there any requirement now about where, up and down the bench, he may sit? It would seem to me he should have to take a seat adjacent to the 14' box, so that when he did rise as allowed, he'd be in box area. I doubt he would be anywhere else, and don't think he should get up and go to far end near baseline, whether he's visiting water cooler or coaching from that corner. Any comments?

Smitty Wed Jan 16, 2013 03:05pm

The box is irrelevant once he is not allowed to stand and coach in it. I couldn't care less where he sits as long as it's somewhere on the bench. As long as he's behaving himself, why worry about such things?

JetMetFan Wed Jan 16, 2013 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by letemplay (Post 872513)
In a state using optional coaching box, HC gets T'd and must park his hiney. Is there any requirement now about where, up and down the bench, he may sit? It would seem to me he should have to take a seat adjacent to the 14' box, so that when he did rise as allowed, he'd be in box area. I doubt he would be anywhere else, and don't think he should get up and go to far end near baseline, whether he's visiting water cooler or coaching from that corner. Any comments?

By rule the head coach must sit within the coaching box, regardless of whether he/she has received a technical (10-5-1, 1-13-2). All the technical does is remove his/her walking around privileges.

Smitty Wed Jan 16, 2013 03:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 872517)
By rule the head coach must sit within the coaching box, regardless of whether he/she has received a technical (10-5-1, 1-13-2).

Is that really what it says? That a coach must sit within the confines of where the coaching box is outlined? I didn't realize it actually says that. But I still don't really care as long as he's behaving himself.

just another ref Wed Jan 16, 2013 03:32pm

10.5.1C says a coach may sit anywhere on the bench, not necessarily inside the box. But if he does, he may not use the box during the game.

Freddy Wed Jan 16, 2013 03:34pm

Am I Lookin' at This Right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 872516)
The box is irrelevant once he is not allowed to stand and coach in it. I couldn't care less where he sits as long as it's somewhere on the bench. As long as he's behaving himself, why worry about such things?

Not correct. 10-5-1: "The head coach shall remain seated on the team bench, except..." Then, if a. is allowed but he "lost the box", he can still b., c., d., and e., but the preliminary expectation stated prior to a. still applies.
Right?

EDIT: Oh, I think I see what you mean..."as long as it's somewhere on the bench" is your operative phrase. You saying that "somewhere on the bench" might not necessary be "in the box"? He might possibly be "on the bench" but no longer "in the box." Which looks like it would be okay.

Smitty Wed Jan 16, 2013 03:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 872529)
Not correct. 10-5-1: "The head coach shall remain seated on the team bench, except..." Then, if a. is allowed but he "lost the box", he can still b., c., d., and e., but the preliminary expectation stated prior to a. still applies.
Right?

WTF? :confused:

just another ref Wed Jan 16, 2013 03:41pm

If he's not using the box, voluntarily or otherwise, he may sit anywhere on the bench.

Freddy Wed Jan 16, 2013 03:42pm

Wtf???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 872530)
WTF? :confused:

What does the Wisconsin Tourist Federation have to do with the topic?

(see my edit, which unfortunately came a little late..... :o )

JetMetFan Wed Jan 16, 2013 08:20pm

Thanks, JAR. If he's been using the box, he has to stay in it. If he hasn't then he can stay wherever he wants but that means he wouldn't have had coaching box privileges during that game prior to the T.

So...if he's been using the box since the start of the game, my first answer applies.

If he hasn't been using the box since the start of the game, he shouldn't have been afforded any of the coaching box rights in the first place.

Rich Wed Jan 16, 2013 09:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 872565)
Thanks, JAR. If he's been using the box, he has to stay in it. If he hasn't then he can stay wherever he wants but that means he wouldn't have had coaching box privileges during that game prior to the T.

So...if he's been using the box since the start of the game, my first answer applies.

If he hasn't been using the box since the start of the game, he shouldn't have been afforded any of the coaching box rights in the first place.

Once he's whacked, though, he can sit anywhere on the bench -- but he needs to stay there.

Adam Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 872566)
Once he's whacked, though, he can sit anywhere on the bench -- but he needs to stay there.

Exactly. He's only required to stay within the box if he's using it. Once he loses it, no such requirement exists. And letemplay's thought about bring in the box when rising as allowed doesn't matter, either. As even if the coach relinquishes the box by sitting outside it, he can still rise as otherwise allowed.

OKREF Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:11pm

Quote:

They can still do the following.

b. The head coach may stand within the coaching box to request a time-out or signal his/her players to request a time-out.

c. The head coach may stand and/or leave the coaching box to confer with personnel at the scorer's table to request a time-out as in 5-8-4.

d. The head coach may stand within the coaching box to replace or remove a disqualified/injured player or player directed to leave the game.

e. The head coach may stand as in 10-4-4c and 10-4-4d.

Rich Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 872573)
They can still do the following.

b. The head coach may stand within the coaching box to request a time-out or signal his/her players to request a time-out.

c. The head coach may stand and/or leave the coaching box to confer with personnel at the scorer's table to request a time-out as in 5-8-4.

d. The head coach may stand within the coaching box to replace or remove a disqualified/injured player or player directed to leave the game.

e. The head coach may stand as in 10-4-4c and 10-4-4d.

I'm guessing that you know that I know that.

BktBallRef Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:38pm

Quote:

Agreed. If he's received a T, lost his coaching box privileges, then he can sit anywhere he wants to on the bench. No rule says he has to continue sitting within the confines of the box.