The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 16, 2005, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

On the thread "Time-Out" we are discussing whether or not an assistant coach may request a time-out if the original coach has been ejected. Please let me know the correct ruling on this, I do not have my book with me but I believe he is now the head coach and is allowed but others said no. I thought the only thing was is he didn't get the coaching box.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2005, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

clearify that assist coach

When I was asking about the assist coach being allowed to call a time out, I am refferring to the assistant#2 not the assistant#1 that became the head coach. So I am saying is an assistant or player on the bench allowed to call and timeout and if not, can they be given a T when granted one, and there team does not have a timeout
Old Fri Dec 16, 2005, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Re: clearify that assist coach

Quote:
Originally posted by readingofficial
When I was asking about the assist coach being allowed to call a time out, I am refferring to the assistant#2 not the assistant#1 that became the head coach. So I am saying is an assistant or player on the bench allowed to call and timeout and if not, can they be given a T when granted one, and there team does not have a timeout
No an assistant(#2) or player on the bench is not permitted request a timeout. In the situation you describe, if their actions significantly confuse an official that the timeout is granted I'll give them a choice: they can either accept the timeout with the resulting T, or just get a T for USC/bench decorum - either way they're getting a T.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2005, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PIAA REF
On the thread "Time-Out" we are discussing whether or not an assistant coach may request a time-out if the original coach has been ejected. Please let me know the correct ruling on this, I do not have my book with me but I believe he is now the head coach and is allowed but others said no. I thought the only thing was is he didn't get the coaching box.
I agree with you, and I'm pretty sure it's covered reasonably specifically in the NCAA book.

It's not specifically covered in the FED book, so I don't think anyone can give you a definite ruling. My advice and opinion is to use 2-3 and allow it.

Old Sat Dec 17, 2005, 03:13am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
[/B]
It's not specifically covered in the FED book, so I don't think anyone can give you a definite ruling.
[/B][/QUOTE]Yup....