The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Can a Coach request an inbounds location when.....

Team A scores a basket. Team B inbounder grabs the ball and heads to the right side corner of the lane line for the throw-in. But, before Team B inbounds the ball, Team B head coach requests and is granted a time out. Team B will have run of the endline when play resumes. Since the team can run the endline, arguably, it does not matter tremendously WHERE the administering officials hands the ball to the inbounder.

However, should the position be on the right side (where the player was when the timeout was granted)? If the coach requests that side (or the other side as the starting point, will you grant that wish?

While it seems as if it does not matter, it really can make a difference on a timing play such as a slip screen in front of the inbounder. If the inbounder is right handed, the time to get to the other side of the lane can throw off the timing of the play. In addition, the player can now be off balance.

I have never seen any mention in the Rules Book, the Case Book or the Officials Manual on this situation. Thoughts?
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
Team A scores a basket. Team B inbounder grabs the ball and heads to the right side corner of the lane line for the throw-in. But, before Team B inbounds the ball, Team B head coach requests and is granted a time out. Team B will have run of the endline when play resumes. Since the team can run the endline, arguably, it does not matter tremendously WHERE the administering officials hands the ball to the inbounder.

However, should the position be on the right side (where the player was when the timeout was granted)? If the coach requests that side (or the other side as the starting point, will you grant that wish?

While it seems as if it does not matter, it really can make a difference on a timing play such as a slip screen in front of the inbounder. If the inbounder is right handed, the time to get to the other side of the lane can throw off the timing of the play. In addition, the player can now be off balance.

I have never seen any mention in the Rules Book, the Case Book or the Officials Manual on this situation. Thoughts?
Forget the fact that they can run the endline, where would you spot ball if a timeout is called?
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Forget the fact that they can run the endline, where would you spot ball if a timeout is called?
After a made basket, there is no "spot" to my knowledge. If there is some other reason for a spot, then the "nearest spot" applies. Otherwise....my questions remain....
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
After a made basket, there is no "spot" to my knowledge. If there is some other reason for a spot, then the "nearest spot" applies. Otherwise....my questions remain....
But, there IS a spot after the time out where play will resume. Just tell the coach where you will be handing the thrower the ball.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Yes. The coach may also request a stuffed crust pizza with all the meats.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 10:16am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've got no problem bouncing the ball to wherever the player is standing. The timeout was requested during an end line throw-in, so that's your POI. Anywhere.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy View Post
But, there IS a spot after the time out where play will resume. Just tell the coach where you will be handing the thrower the ball.
My question IS, CAN the COACH ASK for a specific side? Why or why not? How do YOU decide which side? My point is, it CAN make a difference to the offense. I understand we CAN TELL the coach which side. How do YOU determine which side that is? What if the ball has just gone through the basket and the offense has not yet touched the ball?
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My question IS, CAN the COACH ASK for a specific side? Why or why not? How do YOU decide which side? My point is, it CAN make a difference to the offense. I understand we CAN TELL the coach which side. How do YOU determine which side that is? What if the ball has just gone through the basket and the offense has not yet touched the ball?
The player can run to wherever s/he wants, so what difference does it make?

It's not covered, so treat under 2-3. If the coach has been nice, I'm likely to move. If the coach has been a PITA, then I'll put the ball in play where I am and have the player move.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I've got no problem bouncing the ball to wherever the player is standing. The timeout was requested during an end line throw-in, so that's your POI. Anywhere.
OK...A question concerning crew mechanics (that is how the entire discussion got started during our local meeting). Will you bounce the ball across the lane in this situation or will you move to that side -- potentially forcing C to move to L and L to C?
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The player can run to wherever s/he wants, so what difference does it make?

It's not covered, so treat under 2-3. If the coach has been nice, I'm likely to move. If the coach has been a PITA, then I'll put the ball in play where I am and have the player move.
Simply a question of timing, Bob. It will take a player a second or so to get to the other side of the lane, if that is where he wanted to go. I would guess that many officials likely use your "philosophy" on this play -- even if not willing to admit it.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Whichever sideline the ball and/or official was closer to when the request was granted ... Seems like a reasonable place to go.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 10:45am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
OK...A question concerning crew mechanics (that is how the entire discussion got started during our local meeting). Will you bounce the ball across the lane in this situation or will you move to that side -- potentially forcing C to move to L and L to C?
If the coach makes the request before we take position, I'll move. If the player just comes out and stands on the other side of the lane, I'll bounce it across.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Since there is no spot, the player can stand anywhere he wants to on the end line. I can't make him stand at a particular spot. It's not supported by rule.

And since neither our association nor the NFHS Mechanics Manual allows us to bounce the ball across the lane, I would rotate to that side.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

For me I would adminster the throw-in from the inbounders right side as most players unless they are right handed will head to your side of the court.

Now if its 2-man then I would go opposite the table so I have a view of the coach for possible timeout.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 10:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

I always go opposite the table, whether 2-person or 3-person in this situation.

In 2-person I do this so my partner, who's getting teams out of their huddles on the first horn, doesn't have to come back opposite.

In 3-person, I'd rather be the trail opposite and not be coming up tableside if I get a choice. No other real reason than that.

If the team asks before we're ready to go, I'm happy to oblige.

I won't toss across if there's pressure. I've been known to do it a handful of times a season if there's no pressure, though.