The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 09:41pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Contacting Partners

Over the weekend, I was assigned a game next week... what will be my first game as an official (a JV girls game).

On the forum, I've seen mention of contacting partners in advance of a game. How does that work? Does the R email the partner(s)? What usually gets mentioned?

Looking forward to the game and hoping to be a good partner on and off the floor.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

I'd ask around your area to see what is the norm.

In the associations I've belong to, it's been policy for the R to contact his/her partner(s) at least 48 hours before the game...by phone or by e-mail. I personally like to contact my partner(s) earlier by way of e-mail, so that I have physical proof, if needed, that I tried to contact my partner(s). If they don't respond in a timely fashion, I will then contact by way of phone.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 10:19pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
Over the weekend, I was assigned a game next week... what will be my first game as an official (a JV girls game).

On the forum, I've seen mention of contacting partners in advance of a game. How does that work? Does the R email the partner(s)? What usually gets mentioned?

Looking forward to the game and hoping to be a good partner on and off the floor.
Whoever is assigned as the R should contact the partner(s). Often times I will call the R when I haven't heard from them as some of the more veteran guys are lax about it. And I never, ever, want to do a game by myself.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2012, 12:47am
This IS My Social Life

The Rome Around Here

Around here the umpire(s) contacts the R, then the R confirms the crew to the AD. That way the AD isn't plagued by an overabundance of emails. If the R doesn't hear from the umpire(s), he'll contact them about two days in advance of the game.
All contacts are by email. Phone is secondary method when nothing is heard via email.
May differ in your area. Check local listings. When in Nome, do as the Nomans do.
(BTW, haven't heard from Shishmaref Ref for a long time here. I checked his school district website and note that he's still on staff there off the Bering coast. Maybe he's lurking or perhaps not officiating anymore.)
Old Wed Dec 12, 2012, 07:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

Basketball Official Confirmation ...

Every Sunday night, I send confirmation emails to the athletic directors of every site where I will be working, as either the referee, or the umpire, that week, with cc's to my partners.

December 9, 2012

BillyMac
50 Main Street
Little Corner, CT 06000
Home Phone (000) 000-0000
Cell Phone (000) 000-0000
Email: [email protected]

Environmental Chemical Analyst
Acme Environmental Laboratories, Inc.
100 Main Street
Little Corner, CT 06000
Business Phone (000) 000-0000

This is to confirm that I will officiate the boys varsity basketball game at East Oshkosh High School
on Wednesday, December 13, 2012, at 7:00 p.m.

Please contact me if there is any change in the schedule. My contact information is above.
During weekday business hours, it is best to reach me at (000) 000-0000. I do not have access
to the internet, nor to email, nor do I get a cell phone signal, at work.

Sincerely,

BillyMac
International Association of Approved Basketball Officials
Little Corner Connecticut Board #0
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 09:21am.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2012, 07:53am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
About 48 hrs out I will send an email to my P's acknowledging our game - doesn't matter if I'm R or not.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2012, 08:00am
Esteemed Forum Member

Confirmation Protocol ...

Here's the protocol for my local board:

Officials are expected to confirm their games. Email addresses for athletic directors, faculty managers, or site directors, as well as partners, are on the Arbiter website. The email should state the gender, level, site, day, date, and time of the game, along with one’s contact information, sent to both the school, and to one’s partner. A confirmation, emailed in this manner, looks professional, and assures everyone that the officials have been properly assigned for the game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 12, 2012 at 09:22am.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Guys, don't forget the most important

Most times I also include my wife on the list of people to contact regarding my schedule Although, I will admit more than once over the years calling her from a gym with the ole "by the way, I have a game tonight at ____ School" Those always turn out good
Old Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Be sure to find out what is protocol in your association. But most have it where the R contacts the crew. However, if you haven't heard from them by the day before I would reach out to them, introduce yourself, ask them things like what time are they getting to the game site, do they have a long or difficult commute, are they coming dressed in their uniform or will they change in the coaches office/locker room. Also, be sure to give them contact information of your own so that they can contact you at a moment's notice.
Being your first game, remember two things: Look sharp - Work sharp. Smile every time you can.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2012, 11:45am
TODO: creative title here

I usually email partners about 4-5 days before a game, and confirm details (date, time, location) with them.

I email ADs (and athletic secretaries, if I can find their email addresses... athletic secretaries run the show anyway) on the Monday of the week of the game. (for Monday games, I email on Thursday or Friday before the game). Here's a my email template, replace the capitalized words with details as appropriate:

Quote:
AD_NAME,
ASSOCIATION_NAME has assigned PARTNER and I to officiate DAY's GENDER's LEVEL's basketball game(s) against OPPONENT.

According to my schedule, the (first) game starts at TIME, and is being played at LOCATION. I plan to arrive at approximately ARRIVAL_TIME.

If there are any last-minute changes, please give me a call at 000-000-0000.

Thanks. I look forward to working at your school.
-jTheUmp
Doesn't matter if I'm the R or the U... about 90% of the time I end up being the one who contacts the school.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2012, 11:37pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Thanks for the replies and examples.

I will contact one of our association trainers to see if there is an approved protocol for our area/association and proceed from there.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 10:53am
Courageous When Prudent

Through your career every once in a while you'll come across jerks who find it bothersome to contact their partner(s) before games. When my crew chiefs haven't contacted me by a certain time I will contact them via text and email. If I don't get a reply then on the day of the game I will call them.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 08:01pm.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 08:27pm
wife loves the goatee...

Our assigner "desires" that we contact him if we haven't heard from partners in a timely fashion....
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 11:48pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJ1960 View Post
Our assigner "desires" that we contact him if we haven't heard from partners in a timely fashion....
If we haven't heard from one of our P's by game day, we "must" call our Assignor.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2012, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badnewsref View Post
through your career every once in a while you'll come across jerks who find it bothersome to contact their partner(s) before games. When my crew chiefs haven't contacted me by a certain time i will contact them via text and email. If i don't get a reply then on the day of the game i will call them.
+1

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith