The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Contacting the Backboard?

Tough bang banger the other night...Wanted to get your thoughts and a rules citation...

A1 goes up for layup...B1 is following on fast break and attempts to block the shot. B1 does not touch the ball but does make significant contact with the backboard while the ball is on way up.

Coach goes crazy wanting a goaltending or basket interference call because the ball comes off rim. Trail had it all the way to the basket, does not blow anything.

In my estimation, it was the correct call because there is no penalty if the defensive player is making a legitimate attempt to block the shot.

However, what if the striking of the backboard causes the ring to move? Do you call that basket interference as if the defender had made contact with the ring?
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 12:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The rules do not allow for a BI call when the defender hits the backboard. It's a T or nothing (99% of the time, it's nothing.) I granted a timeout once to a coach requesting I call a T on the other team.

There was a recent debate on here about whether the rule should be changed to include this in BI, but it wouldn't affect this play most likely, as the glass was likely struck before the ball was in the cylinder.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 12:54pm
M.A.S.H.

Well... it can't be goaltending as the defender never touched the ball. 4-22

So the only other thing it could be is basket interference - which it isn't as Snaq pointed out. Therefore, it's a T or play-on.

Check out 10.3.4 Situation
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

If they make a legitimate attempt to block the shot, then no call. The key here is which side of the basket did the defender hit the backboard. If he hit it on the side which the ball is, then 9 out of 10 times no call. If it's opposite side, then it is always a Technical for unsporting, and count the basket if it goes in (wait for ball to go in before blowing whistle).

EDIT: more like 99 out of 100 times no call.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 01:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is one of the most misunderstood rules in the game of basketball.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BballTip View Post
However, what if the striking of the backboard causes the ring to move? Do you call that basket interference as if the defender had made contact with the ring?
Don't call it. It would be hard to tell if the rim moved at all, and if it does, it is a mere vibration that could be caused by a lot of different things.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 01:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Don't call it. It would be hard to tell if the rim moved at all, and if it does, it is a mere vibration that could be caused by a lot of different things.
None of this is relevant. You can't call it because it's not against the rules.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Well... it can't be goaltending as the defender never touched the ball. 4-22

So the only other thing it could be is basket interference - which it isn't as Snaq pointed out. Therefore, it's a T or play-on.

Check out 10.3.4 Situation
Play-On is soccer, not basketball :-)
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

I does not matter if the basket sways like it would from 7.8 earthquake.

You can never award points for slapping the backboard.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
None of this is relevant. You can't call it because it's not against the rules.
I just wanted to point out that it would be hard to see any vibration of the rim because of a slap on the backboard. But you are right, it is not against the rules to slap the backboard as long as it is an apparent legitimate attempt to block the shot.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 01:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
If they make a legitimate attempt to block the shot, then no call. The key here is which side of the basket did the defender hit the backboard. If he hit it on the side which the ball is, then 9 out of 10 times no call. If it's opposite side, then it is always a Technical for unsporting, and count the basket if it goes in (wait for ball to go in before blowing whistle).

EDIT: more like 99 out of 100 times no call.
While I agree that this works as a good rule of thumb, I'd hesitate to make it an absolute.

Also, there is no need to wait for the ball to go in before blowing the whistle. Once the shooting motion has begun, a T on the defense does not cause the ball to become dead.

Once the shot is released, a T on the offense doesn't even cause the ball to become dead.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 01:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I just wanted to point out that it would be hard to see any vibration of the rim because of a slap on the backboard. But you are right, it is not against the rules to slap the backboard as long as it is an apparent legitimate attempt to block the shot.
I guarantee you Snaqs knows this. His point is that the basket cannot count for that reason. It never can be called for that reason. All you can call is a T and the ball could count anyway if it goes in the hoop or no one commits and actual BI violation.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
While I agree that this works as a good rule of thumb, I'd hesitate to make it an absolute.

Also, there is no need to wait for the ball to go in before blowing the whistle. Once the shooting motion has begun, a T on the defense does not cause the ball to become dead.

Once the shot is released, a T on the offense doesn't even cause the ball to become dead.
good point, but I'd much rather wait for the ball to go through the hoop before calling a T*, so no coaches will yell at me saying that I blew the call dead. It's hard to explain things to a mad coach, you're always wrong no matter what.

* Unless it is a T that needs to be dealt with immediately to avoid any further problems.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 01:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
good point, but I'd much rather wait for the ball to go through the hoop before calling a T*, so no coaches will yell at me saying that I blew the call dead. It's hard to explain things to a mad coach, you're always wrong no matter what.

* Unless it is a T that needs to be dealt with immediately to avoid any further problems.
I would call the T regardless whether the ball goes in. If there is doubt there was a legitimate attempt to block the shot, then I have got nothing. If it is obvious--I could give a darn what the coach thinks. Teach your kid not to just slam the backboard and life will be easier.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 01:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I don't GAF what the coach thinks here. A quick "the shot was in the air" will be enough.

Now, chances are, you're not going to hit the whistle on this until it's through, given the timing of it all. But if you call this T, he's either going to challenge you by saying he was trying to block the shot or he's going to be pissed at his player. He's not going to question the basket counting.