The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Can someone point me to a text explanation on contact with the backboard during a shot block attempt? I specifically need the language that staes that the basket does not count even if on the rim and comes off due to the vibration of the slap. Rule and case book to me seemed kind of vague.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Try 10.3.5.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

There is no case play that says this isn't BI. You simply have to read the rule regarding basket interference. There's nothing in that rule that says it's BI if the backboard is slapped. Further, the case play states what happens when this play occurs. Seems pretty clear to me.

10.3.5 SITUATION: A1 tries for a goal, and (a) B1 jumps and attempts to block the shot but instead slaps or strikes the backboard and the ball goes into the basket; or (b) B1 vibrates the ring as a result of pulling on the net and the ball does not enter the basket.

RULING: In (a) legal and the basket counts; and (b) a technical foul is charged to B1 and there is no basket.
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

(b) B1 vibrates the ring as a result of pulling on the net and the ball does not enter the basket.
I wanted something other than "pulling on the net". I thought I had seen text on this board a while back specifically dedicated to striking the board while the ball is on the rim. I'm trying to explain to another ref that the hoop doesn't count. We saw the hoop counted in a game last night and we disagreed whether it was the right call or not.

(I see this is being worked over in the "intentional slap" thread.)

[Edited by zebra44 on Jan 8th, 2005 at 04:32 PM]