The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 12:09pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
How many of you would (or have) worked a Varsity game alone?
Not me. Not allowed here.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 12:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Count Me In ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
How many of you would (or have) worked a Varsity game alone?
Me. Unless I could 'dig up" a certified IAABO member to help me. Otherwise I'm working the game alone, and here in Connecticut we have some "unofficial" one man mechanics to use. Of course, before doing a game alone, I would be on the phone with my assigning commissioner, who, of course, would want to talk about the situation with the site's athletic director, or faculty manager, or the site director, as well as talking to both head coaches. Lots of hoops to jump through, but one could possibly have a one man varsity game here in the Constitution State.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 12:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Still Verboten ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Not me. Not allowed here.
Injury to an official with one minute to go in the fourth period of a completely lopsided game? Injury to an official with seven minutes to go in the first period of a game between arch rivals, in a packed gymnasium? Injury to an official as he is about to toss the ball for the openng tap, in a game between arch rivals, in a packed gymnasium?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 12:38pm.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 12:40pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Injury to an official with one minute to go in the fourth period of a completely lopsided game? Injury to an official with seven minutes to go in the first period of a game between arch rivals, in a packed gymnasium? Injury to an official as he is about to toss the ball for the openng tip, in a game between arch rivals, in a packed gymnasium?
State rules forbid starting a basketball game at any level (from freshman on up) with fewer than 2 officials. Once the game starts, however, we could work with one, if necessary. At least that's how I read it.

I dislocated my kneecap six years ago in a boys game where we had 11-0 against 9-1. It ended my season. The other guy is a great official, but we decided to call halftime 2+ minutes early while they found someone to work with him. They did -- a guy that worked a lower level game at a nearby school. He was over his head and mainly called out of bounds lines, but it was still better than having just one official try to keep up with everything.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 01:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

One Is The Loneliest Number That You'll Ever Do (Three Dog Night) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It was still better than having just one official try to keep up with everything.
Agree. Even if the "certified" official is just a warm body, it's a lot better than working a game, on any level, with just one official.

Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree. Even if the "certified" official is just a warm body, it's a lot better than working a game, on any level, with just one official.
Thread is taking a little detour here.....

In my neighborhood, there is rarely a HS V game without a lower level game preceding it. We would simply press one of the lower level refs into duty for the V game if needed.

I don't know that I wholeheartedly agree with BillyMac's quote above....I once worked a HS V Boys game with a last minute replacement ref. I don't think this guy had ever stepped foot on the floor before. He wouldn't blow his whistle for anything. I ended up sending him home at halftime becasue I was basically calling the game by myself anyway.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 01:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Thread is taking a little detour here.....

In my neighborhood, there is rarely a HS V game without a lower level game preceding it. We would simply press one of the lower level refs into duty for the V game if needed.

I don't know that I wholeheartedly agree with BillyMac's quote above....I once worked a HS V Boys game with a last minute replacement ref. I don't think this guy had ever stepped foot on the floor before. He wouldn't blow his whistle for anything. I ended up sending him home at halftime becasue I was basically calling the game by myself anyway.
The JV officials had left. Few around here are still in the building when the V game tips.