The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 03:55pm
softball_junky

BR contacting ball in Batters box

Batter in Right Hand Batter's box, lays down bunt that rolls just inside front line of Left Hand Batter's Box. The now Batter Runner heading to 1B steps on the ball, tripping and falling down. When contact was made both of the batter runner's feet and the ball were in the left hand batter's box. What do you call? Other than the batter runner clumsy. Foul Ball or Dead Ball BR Out?
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by softball_junky View Post
Batter in Right Hand Batter's box, lays down bunt that rolls just inside front line of Left Hand Batter's Box. The now Batter Runner heading to 1B steps on the ball, tripping and falling down. When contact was made both of the batter runner's feet and the ball were in the left hand batter's box. What do you call? Other than the batter runner clumsy. Foul Ball or Dead Ball BR Out?
It's probably time for me to read my rulebook again since the season is drawing close, but I believe you have a BR hit by the ball in the batters box which is a foul ball. I can't recall any exception just because the BR moved into the ball.
________
Jenny_For_You

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:37pm.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Wow... Didn't we just spend 2 weeks hashing over something like this?

ASA - If the ball's in fair territory at the time of contact, I've got a dead ball and a BR that's out. If it's in foul territory at the time of contact, you've got a foul ball due to a technicality. Since it's not a fair ball, the person who hit the ball isn't a BR yet. Since they're not a BR just yet, they can't interfere. Contradictory, I know, but that's how it goes.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
While plenty of people seem to get confused, this isn't that difficult. The definition of a Foul Ball makes a ball that hits the batter in the batter's box a foul ball. It doesn't grant a batter-runner the right to run into a fair ball.

Use the same decision process as if the ball hits the bat or the bat hits the ball!! If the ball hits the batter in the box, foul ball (read definition of foul ball). If the batter-runner runs into the ball, rule based on the location of the batted ball. If the ball is in fair territory (extended foul lines to rear point of home plate) at the point of contact, interference, batter-runner is out. If the ball is in foul territory at the point of contact, it is a foul ball.

The location of the batter's feet are immaterial if the batter-runner runs into the ball; they only matter if the ball comes back and hits the batter.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Fair ball batters out. The right handed batters box is the one she started in.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
And Rachel brings up a very good point that I think we kind of took for granted: just because they're in A batter's box doesn't mean they're protected. The only protection they have is if the contact occurs while they are in the batter's box they started in.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 03:32pm
softball_junky

That is the question that came up. Is the batter still protected if they leave one batter's box and contact the ball in the other batter's box.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is the question that came up. Is the batter still protected if they leave one batter's box and contact the ball in the other batter's box.
No, they are not. If a coach tries to argue that, tell them the batter's not allowed to switch once the pitcher begins their delivery. So either you have an out for switching batter's boxes, an out for INT on a fair batted ball, or a foul ball (if the ball was first touched in foul territory).

Your choice, coach (assuming you already ruled foul/fair).

Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There's a point clearly being missed. They are not protected if they contact the ball in their original batter's box; the foul ball call is only of the ball contacts them.

In your OP, the batter-runner "steps on the ball". That is interference as long as the ball was in fair territory. Neither batter's box has protection in this play.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Holey cats!!! Where have you been???

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Nice catch.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskers_ump View Post
Nice catch.
Maybe, but I believe Steve is, and has been, right on point.
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 05:22pm
softball_junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
There's a point clearly being missed. They are not protected if they contact the ball in their original batter's box; the foul ball call is only of the ball contacts them.

In your OP, the batter-runner "steps on the ball". That is interference as long as the ball was in fair territory. Neither batter's box has protection in this play.
Good point, I think you are right on. The batter's box had no bearing in this.