The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 27, 2009, 05:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

OT: Contacting an official

It's OT, because it's football. I'm watching the Broncos go through part of the process of pissing their playoff hopes away (won't be complete until next week), and Brandon Stokely just took exception to a no-call on what he thought was pass interference. He ran about 40 yards to confront the Back Judge.

As he walked away in disgust, he threw his arms, contacting the official's outstretched hand.

Bye-bye
Old Sun Dec 27, 2009, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, easy call, REAL stupid move.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 27, 2009, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
It's OT, because it's football. I'm watching the Broncos go through part of the process of pissing their playoff hopes away (won't be complete until next week), and Brandon Stokely just took exception to a no-call on what he thought was pass interference. He ran about 40 yards to confront the Back Judge.

As he walked away in disgust, he threw his arms, contacting the official's outstretched hand.

Bye-bye
did he get ejected? I didn't catch that because I'm flipping through channels. Eagles fan here, but this game is a definite win and my interest isn't high enough to keep it on.
Old Sun Dec 27, 2009, 06:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
did he get ejected? I didn't catch that because I'm flipping through channels. Eagles fan here, but this game is a definite win and my interest isn't high enough to keep it on.
Yep. He got tossed. Stupid move for a veteran player.
Old Sun Dec 27, 2009, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

My brother just told me he saw it happen in the other room. He said it didn't look like it was intentional and that it probably shouldn't have been an ejection.

I don't know though, I didn't see it but will probably see it on ESPN or Comcast SN tomorrow morning
Old Sun Dec 27, 2009, 06:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
My brother just told me he saw it happen in the other room. He said it didn't look like it was intentional and that it probably shouldn't have been an ejection.

I don't know though, I didn't see it but will probably see it on ESPN or Comcast SN tomorrow morning
Stokely INTENTIONALLY swung in the direction of the official.

Just like I tell my kids, don't throw rocks in the neighborhood and then say it's an accident when you break a window.
Old Sun Dec 27, 2009, 06:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Whether he hit him intentionally doesn't matter. Did he aim for him? No. Did he swing purposefully in the direction of the official's hand? Definitely. He did it in anger, and I'm pretty sure it was preceded by some choice words. My understanding is that contacting an official is a judgment-free call.
Old Sun Dec 27, 2009, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Whether he hit him intentionally doesn't matter. Did he aim for him? No. Did he swing purposefully in the direction of the official's hand? Definitely. He did it in anger, and I'm pretty sure it was preceded by some choice words. My understanding is that contacting an official is a judgment-free call.
Kind of has to be, doesn't it? Last thing we need is any kind of debate about whether someone "accidentally" hit an official - that just raises the possibility of getting away with taking a shot if you can pretend it was an "accident".
Old Sun Dec 27, 2009, 06:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
Kind of has to be, doesn't it? Last thing we need is any kind of debate about whether someone "accidentally" hit an official - that just raises the possibility of getting away with taking a shot if you can pretend it was an "accident".
That's exactly right. I can't wait to hear the local sports radio guys complain about it tomorrow on my way home from work, though.
Old Sun Dec 27, 2009, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Video of Brandon Stokley Ref Contact and Ejection

Not sure honestly -- I don't know what he said and that alone could've been grounds for dismissal... but the contacting the official here seems a little finger to finger to me... I really don't know.
Old Sun Dec 27, 2009, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's exactly right. I can't wait to hear the local sports radio guys complain about it tomorrow on my way home from work, though.
I predict that the league will use the expression "zero tolerance."
Old Sun Dec 27, 2009, 07:55pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
And they should

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I predict that the league will use the expression "zero tolerance."
It was just stupid.
Old Sun Dec 27, 2009, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins View Post

Not sure honestly -- I don't know what he said and that alone could've been grounds for dismissal... but the contacting the official here seems a little finger to finger to me... I really don't know.

Please replay and get back to us.
Old Sun Dec 27, 2009, 08:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
That one is a no-brainer in ANY league. You do NOT contact any official that way. You start letting things like that go and it's open season on officials.
Old Sun Dec 27, 2009, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You telling me if a player does this to you, you're not automatically dumping the player? This one seemed pretty cut and dry to me.