Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 09:52am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Infamous One Person Game ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stir22 View Post
Don't ask the kids,"okay, who touched it last?"
The only time that this technique could be used is in a one person game, and if you officiate long enough, you will eventually work a one person game. Most of the time the kids are pretty honest and the game is better without a bunch of extra alternating possession situations.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 10:20am
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Really? then please provide some examples, because I don't see that (and don't recall it from my early years of officiating)

(Note that I'm not saying you are wrong -- just that with specific examples we might be able to give additional specific advice in addition to the good general advice already contained in this thread.)
Hi Bob...

I have experienced being questioned often OOB calls from middle school games to JV level and summer rec too. Especially when its under the basket and goes out on the endline in tight quarters.

That was off white's shoe or black touched it last..etc
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 10:22am
This IS My Social Life

Use Judiciaously and Sparingly . . .

Don't do this all the time. In fact, don't do this if you don't have to. Shucks, don't even do it.
At the risk of getting thoroughly lambasted, for which I'm ready, consider this . . .
Oftentimes the players themselves know who knocked the ball OOB. Just a brief pause to allow a slight, furtive glance at the players' reactions can give away what the correct call would be.
Note well: I'm not saying do this. But it seems to hold true the very few times I experimented with it. Or, I mean, I read about it somewhere. Or, I mean, BillyMac told me he did this all the time.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 10:25am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I was standing in his coaching box
Whose coaching box??
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 10:30am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Whose coaching box??

I knew someone would say something, I only used "his" to indicate which box I was in.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 10:33am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Hi Bob...

I have experienced being questioned often OOB calls from middle school games to JV level and summer rec too. Especially when its under the basket and goes out on the endline in tight quarters.

That was off white's shoe or black touched it last..etc
If you are consistently getting comments about your OOB calls then I would say it may have something to do with the confidence you exude during these calls. You can't be hesitant with your whistle, it stills need to be immediate even if you still have information to process. When you do finally yell out a color there needs to be authority in your voice.

And finally, make it clear you are not entertaining any comments on the call. Get the ball immediately back into play.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 10:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
If you are consistently getting comments about your OOB calls then I would say it may have something to do with the confidence you exude during these calls. You can't be hesitant with your whistle, it stills need to be immediate even if you still have information to process. When you do finally yell out a color there needs to be authority in your voice.

And finally, make it clear you are not entertaining any comments on the call. Get the ball immediately back into play.
Yep.

Quote:
Sell it.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 10:41am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:

I knew someone would say something, I only used "his" to indicate which box I was in.
I tell new guys, "It's not his box. It's MY box. I let him use it if he behaves."
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 10:55am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I tell new guys, "It's not his box. It's MY box. I let him use it if he behaves."
I always refer to it as "the coaching box" for the same reason.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

I've gotten in the habit of saying "off red, white ball", my last few games I decided I was just going to say "white ball", but I fell back into my old habit. Does it matter as long as you are definitive with the call and signal?
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
I've gotten in the habit of saying "off red, white ball", my last few games I decided I was just going to say "white ball", but I fell back into my old habit. Does it matter as long as you are definitive with the call and signal?
IMO, Yes.

Too often, people won't hear the first word "off" and it will then sound like you are changing you mind.

Plus, if it's white's ball, then it must have been "off red'. So, it's just redundant. Saying less is saying more.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 11:31am
NFHS Official

Quote:
I had a habit of this also. The last camp I went to, I was told to just say red ball and point in the direction.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I had a habit of this also. The last camp I went to, I was told to just say red ball and point in the direction.

More is less.

Give the colour and the direction. If clarification is needed then offer it.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 03:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Yes it makes a difference....what is the purpose of saying "off red", isn't "white ball" telling us the same information?

Say "white ball" first, if further info is needed THEN say "off red 32/"hit red's foot/etc".
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

I don't say "ball", just "red" or "white" and point.