The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Simply But Yet so Hard..sometimes (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93081-simply-but-yet-so-hard-sometimes.html)

The_Rookie Sun Dec 02, 2012 07:56pm

Simply But Yet so Hard..sometimes

A call that seems simply but at times can be hard is the OOB call.

Coaches complain about OOB calls almost as often as block/charge.

Any pointers on improving OOB calls?:rolleyes:

Adam Sun Dec 02, 2012 08:48pm

Sell it.

JRutledge Sun Dec 02, 2012 08:49pm

Call what you see and move on.

Peace

maven Sun Dec 02, 2012 08:53pm

1. Mechanics: get an angle, be in the right place to see the play. That doesn't guarantee you'll see it, but it improves the odds and is one less ground for complaint.

2. Coverage: if you're off ball and it shoots out past you, get help. Don't ball watch because you might miss an OOB.

3. Call: For NFHS, at least, use the stop clock mechanic. This gives your brain a moment to process what you've seen. Point and announce the color: if they don't match, again, you'll have a moment to process what's right. Slow down your calling and you'll make fewer mistakes.

4. Help: if a partner comes to you with info, take it, change the call, and move on. You should pre-game that nobody corrects an OOB unless they're 100% certain. Plus, now coach can go talk to your partner. ;)

5. Coaches: they don't get a long conversation about OOB calls. "Coach, I had it off white's foot. Let's go." It's a judgment call, and they don't get to argue it. If they persist, I use a simple "You might have seen it differently, but that's enough, coach." (I might converse more about block/charge because somebody gets a foul toward their 5 for that one.)

BktBallRef Sun Dec 02, 2012 09:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 864554)

Stay wide.
Ask for help when necessary.
Get the next one right.

JRutledge Sun Dec 02, 2012 09:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 864561)

5. Coaches: they don't get a long conversation about OOB calls. "Coach, I had it off white's foot. Let's go." It's a judgment call, and they don't get to argue it. If they persist, I use a simple "You might have seen it differently, but that's enough, coach." (I might converse more about block/charge because somebody gets a foul toward their 5 for that one.)

I better be standing right next to a coach to even have much of any conversation with a coach about and OOB call.

Peace

Adam Sun Dec 02, 2012 09:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 864564)
I better be standing right next to a coach to even have much of any conversation with a coach about and OOB call.

Peace

I've only given a T once when a coach argued about an OOB call. In an AAU game. We had the same angle on the play (I was standing in his coaching box), and he wouldn't drop it.

BillyMac Mon Dec 03, 2012 07:30am

There Will Always Be A Next One ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 864562)
Get the next one right.

Like.

Raymond Mon Dec 03, 2012 09:07am

Quote:

I'm not even listening to a coach about OOB calls. I wouldn't know if they were complaining or not.

bob jenkins Mon Dec 03, 2012 09:11am

Quote:

Really? then please provide some examples, because I don't see that (and don't recall it from my early years of officiating)

(Note that I'm not saying you are wrong -- just that with specific examples we might be able to give additional specific advice in addition to the good general advice already contained in this thread.)

Tio Mon Dec 03, 2012 09:56am

If you put the ball back in play quickly this usually gets them to move on.

tomegun Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 864561)
3. Call: For NFHS, at least, use the stop clock signal. This gives your brain a moment to process what you've seen. Point and announce the color: if they don't match, again, you'll have a moment to process what's right. Slow down your calling and you'll make fewer mistakes.

This applies to NCAA men as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 864562)
Stay wide.
Ask for help when necessary.
Get the next one right.

+1

Smitty Tue Dec 04, 2012 09:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 864596)
Really? then please provide some examples, because I don't see that (and don't recall it from my early years of officiating)

(Note that I'm not saying you are wrong -- just that with specific examples we might be able to give additional specific advice in addition to the good general advice already contained in this thread.)

I was thinking the same thing when I read the OP. I don't have this same feeling at all. :confused:

rickman5 Tue Dec 04, 2012 09:37am

I had a hard time for the longest time putting color and direction together on these OOB plays, especially the quick ones. I learned to put my hand up first, say the color, and then point. Made it easier for me to process what I just saw.

stir22 Tue Dec 04, 2012 09:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 864559)
Sell it.

This. A strong voice and no-doubt mechanic will work wonders. Whatever you do, don't ask the kids,"okay, who touched it last?"

I made the mistake of doing that in a middle school game. I made that mistake ONCE. THAT was a learning experience.