The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

It seems every so often there is a "hard foul" on a player driving to the basket. Ball is blocked but player is fouled and force knocks him to the ground. I don't want to call intentional because the defender was going for the ball. If I call a flagrant foul, is it 2 shots and possession at division line or is it 2 shots for personal foul and 2 shots for flagrant? I s player tossed for flagrant foul? Not sure on this. Thanks.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Jack,

When a hard foul is committed under the basket, by rule it is an intentional foul. A flagerant foul would be one where there is definite intent to hurt someone in the process. Either foul is two shots and the ball nearest the spot where the foul was committed. In the flagerent foul, we have an ejection. Only Technical fouls would there be two shots and the ball at the division line opposite the table.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

In H.S. rules, is there a Hard Foul like College rule?
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS Rule 4-19-3 An intentional foul...may or may not be premeditated as is not based on the severity of the act. A foul also shall be ruled intentional if while playing the ball a player causes excessive contact with an opponent.

NCAA rule agrees, although not listed as "hard" foul.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

What about the machanics of the signal. H.S. do we have x-bones and then come down?
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Jack,
In the play you mention, I do not think you'll want to call a "flagrant" foul. The result would be automatic ejection of that player, plus shots and the ball. If you think the contact was "excessive", regardless of the blocked shot, I feel you should signal "intentional" foul, possibly count basket, plus give 2 shots and ball AT SPOT OF FOUL. Scott
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

"x-bones" will do. There is no mechanic for the "come down" in NFHS
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for your replies which have reinforced my own view on this. My inclination was to call intentional in my game yesterday and next time I will call it.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

syoung ... I agree...hence my reluctance to call intentional or flagrant in yesterday's game. I regretted not calling intentional. Hate to eject a player unless there are punches thrown which so far has not happpened in any games. If you "clean it up" early there should not be any temper flareups by players.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

syoung,

Are you saying that you would give him 2 shots for the drive to the basket (unless shot went in-then you would give him 1 shot)
plus make the intentional foul like an unsportsmanlike T (another 2 shots plus the ball) ??? Could we just give him/her (politically correct!!) 1 (basket made) or 2 shots (if basket not made) and possesion ???
Anybody ???

[This message has been edited by DrC. (edited February 16, 2000).]
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Dr. C-

I think he's saying you can have a flagrant OR a intentional, which have the same applications:
Whether the ball goes in or not, 2 throws + ball at nearest spot. IN ADDITION, the flagrant, by rule 10-6-3penalty, ejects the player.

NFHS page 63: Summary of Penalties for all fouls.