The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 16, 2012, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Now this term I used is used by many at higher levels. If is not your understanding again, I am OK with that feeling. But there are no rules that are specific to what a habitual motion entails. But it seems like you cannot make that motion until you start to gather the basketball in an attempt to shoot the basketball.

Peace
+1

I agree, when the ball is gathered below the FT line extended on a dribble drive to the basket & a foul by the defense is committed, they are shooting unless they pass or call timeout.

Lets look for a reason to put them on the line instead of looking for a reason to do the old "nice move kid now take it out & try again."
Old Mon Jul 16, 2012, 09:18am
Back from the DL

Accurate or not...?

"The NFHS continuation rule is exactly the same as that of the NBA."
Old Mon Jul 16, 2012, 09:21am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Nitpicking for the newbies.

No taps? In thirteen games? Unless prehistoric rules are being used (that will get Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.'s attention), a player fouled in the act of tapping is treated the same as if he was fouled in the act of shooting, and is awarded free throws. No "gather" on a tap.
Yes, because they were all girl's basketball games. Girls tend to not tap the ball like boys do. They tend to grab the ball and throw the ball at the basket. I do not recall a single tap that you see in a boy's game for the most obvious reasons. They are not near the basket in height. And newbies need to understand that girls basketball is different than boys basketball and the actions in which a girl starts a shot is going to look different than a boy starting a shot. And often is the reason you have people once again say the most dreaded thing in basketball officiating, "On the floor....."

And yes we are not talking about a rebound, we are talking about a player going to the basket off a dribble or a pass. I have never seen a player do that without first gathering the ball. And gathering the ball does not just involve both hands and you never heard me suggest that such action involved both hands. Gather can and does involve one hand. And certainly did not see anything different this weekend.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 16, 2012, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And often is the reason you have people once again say the most dreaded thing in basketball officiating, "On the floor....."
That phrase & the "wipe off" makes it tough for partners to offer info doesnt it
Old Mon Jul 16, 2012, 10:00am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
That phrase & the "wipe off" makes it tough for partners to offer info doesnt it
Offer info? How does that work?
Old Mon Jul 16, 2012, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Offer info? How does that work?
The lack of a makes me think you're serious.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2012, 10:14am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The lack of a makes me think you're serious.
Well, I don't always use a smiley, but when I do....

I was partly serious, but only on the specifics. I know how to offer info on plays where it's appropriate. Are you saying that you think a partner should offer info on whether a foul should result in free throws?

Are you talking about strictly double whistle scenarios?
Old Mon Jul 16, 2012, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Well, I don't always use a smiley, but when I do....

I was partly serious, but only on the specifics. I know how to offer info on plays where it's appropriate. Are you saying that you think a partner should offer info on whether a foul should result in free throws?

Are you talking about strictly double whistle scenarios?
Uhh-Ohhh its Monday & I dont feel like smacked around by the forum after my long weekend so I'm gonna plead the 5th.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2012, 10:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Uhh-Ohhh its Monday & I dont feel like smacked around by the forum after my long weekend so I'm gonna plead the 5th.

Sorry, I was just looking for clarification on the sort of situation for which you'd offer assistance. No worries.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2012, 10:23am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I think his question to you was fair. I was thinking something else when you made your comments initially, I now have more questions based on what you have stated since.

If I have ruled that the player was not "shooting" and you come in and tell me they were shooting on the foul, I would be a little puzzled.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 16, 2012, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think his question to you was fair. I was thinking something else when you made your comments initially, I now have more questions based on what you have stated since.

If I have ruled that the player was not "shooting" and you come in and tell me they were shooting on the foul, I would be a little puzzled.

Peace
Wow!

APG where you at, maybe they'll believe it if you explain it...
Old Mon Jul 16, 2012, 10:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Wow!

APG where you at, maybe they'll believe it if you explain it...
Why don't you explain what you are talking about? I am trying to imagine what you are referencing but for some reason I am not imagining an example that fits.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 16, 2012, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why don't you explain what you are talking about? I am trying to imagine what you are referencing but for some reason I am not imagining an example that fits.

Peace
Why? As I said, it was a really long weekend, just got back from camp (9 games in 2.5 days, 105 degrees everyday) & I'm not really up for the 7-9 posters that like to jump me just because I share principles that they havent heard yet.

APG knows of many of the principles I speak of & for some reason when he says the same things I say, nobody says boo.

I'll just say it falls under team officiating & I know how the majority of the board feels about THAT. Quite honestly, you use the word "higher levels" so I really thought this was something you were aware of as it has been around for the last 3-4 years...
Old Mon Jul 16, 2012, 10:57am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I'm not really up for the 7-9 posters that like to jump me just because I share principles that they havent heard yet.
I think what is being asked of you is simply to tell us the principle that you're discussing. Are you saying that you will offer information to a partner when you disagree with his/her ruling on whether the shooting motion had started? Is that the principle that you're sharing?

Nobody's jumping down your throat. We just don't really know what you're saying.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2012, 10:59am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
What would you have responded? I thought that my non-response was best, in this instance.
My standard response is "All he has to do is start the motion, Coach."