The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 04:43am
Official Forum Member

Last Sec Shot

I am the trail ref as A1 crosses the division line with 8 secs remaining,B1 steals the ball, crosses the division line and shoots the ball,the horn sounds off as I mark the three pt try at the free throw line extended area.The basket was good and I signal a successful three pt.try.

Should I have let the trail take the last sec shot? He was still in the backcourt.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 05:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukewhistle
I am the trail ref as A1 crosses the division line with 8 secs remaining,B1 steals the ball, crosses the division line and shoots the ball,the horn sounds off as I mark the three pt try at the free throw line extended area.The basket was good and I signal a successful three pt.try.

Should I have let the trail take the last sec shot? He was still in the backcourt.
Did you get the call right?
Then the answer is no.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 07:55am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

Your concern is obviously resting with the issue should you have transfered authority to the T for judgment and mechanics on the last shot.

Because the crew was in transition, I think you handled it properly.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

In "my" two-man games, I pre-game that if both officials are in the same 1/2 court as the ball, the T has the last shot.

If the officials are in different 1/2 courts, then the official in the 1/2 court from which the ball was shot has the responsibility. This covers the quick turnover (as in the OP) and the long "hail mary" pass.

In any event, if there's any doubt, then make eye contact (or meet) before making a signal.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I think that, since you were in transition and were right by the shooter, you were correct to signal the shot.

That said, this is one of those situations you should pregame with your partners before every game.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
In "my" two-man games, I pre-game that if both officials are in the same 1/2 court as the ball, the T has the last shot.

If the officials are in different 1/2 courts, then the official in the 1/2 court from which the ball was shot has the responsibility. This covers the quick turnover (as in the OP) and the long "hail mary" pass.
Bob, this may be the best, most concise way I've seen of determining who should take the shot.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 09:41am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
We also pre-game situations where there is one clock and it may not be visible to the trail. Had that situation last night, but we covered it and when there were last second attempts, we had them covered.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Bob said it well and I will add one thing...

If there is more than 3 seconds on the clock when the team has the ball Trail normally has the last second shot (trail can normally get to midcourt) if it is 2.9 or less split the court with trail taking shots from BC and lead FC

(from NBA officiating manual and works well)
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green
Bob said it well and I will add one thing...

If there is more than 3 seconds on the clock when the team has the ball Trail normally has the last second shot (trail can normally get to midcourt) if it is 2.9 or less split the court with trail taking shots from BC and lead FC

(from NBA officiating manual and works well)
I used to use that, but:

1) Not all HS officials can get to midcourt
2) Not all HS players will perform as expected in the last 3.0 seconds

So, I just eliminated the "clock" aspect of it
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Bob

I can definitely appreciate where you are coming from!
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 11:46am
Keeper of the HAMMER

There's an official here (30 year guy) who prefers to have the official with the ball/shot in his/her primary take the last shot. His thinking is that official will have a better view of the shot, and all three should be able to hear the horn equally well.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
There's an official here (30 year guy) who prefers to have the official with the ball/shot in his/her primary take the last shot. His thinking is that official will have a better view of the shot, and all three should be able to hear the horn equally well.
I know there are reasons for the official opposite the table, but I've also often wondered if those outweigh having the official who is on the ball take the shot. Why should the center (if he's opposite the table) be watching the guy taking the 24' 3-point attempt on the opposite wing if he's got lots of action in his area?
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
I know there are reasons for the official opposite the table, but I've also often wondered if those outweigh having the official who is on the ball take the shot. Why should the center (if he's opposite the table) be watching the guy taking the 24' 3-point attempt on the opposite wing if he's got lots of action in his area?
Because with 1 second on the clock, and a 24' 3 point attempt is where everyone sohuld be focused. What happens underneath is irrelevant.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
Because with 1 second on the clock, and a 24' 3 point attempt is where everyone sohuld be focused. What happens underneath is irrelevant.
So when should all 6 eyes focus on the ball? With 1 second left? 3? When does play away from the ball become irrelevant?
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 02:42pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
So when should all 6 eyes focus on the ball? With 1 second left? 3? When does play away from the ball become irrelevant?
IMO, this should only happen if the shot is taken in the paint and I would be careful then too. If a player takes a shot and the officials think it is time for all officials to look at the ball bad things could happen. Someone could get pushed under the basket allowing or denying an easy shot.