The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 03:48pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Official Scorer. Not Timer. Not Shot Clock Operator. Not Special Advisor To Game Management & Officials.
What about Taser Czar?
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 03:49pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
What - nobody on the crew brought a spare?

Somewhat seriously, the "penalty" would probably be the same as the one if there's no X on the floor in front of the official scorer.

I can see two problems with this.

First, what if your scorer is five feet tall and your shirt is XL?

Second, what if the gym is hosting two or more games per night (e.g. freshman, JV, and varsity), and each has its own official scorer? Do you seriously want three different people wearing the same shirt over the course of a night?

Here's an idea: to make it clear that the official scorer is not an official, have the official scorer shirts with white stripes that are twice as wide as the black ones. (The rule will probably say "black and white vertical striped shirt", but make no reference to the width of the stripes. Personally, I liked to use a black and white horizontal striped rugby shirt.)
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 04:16pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post

I can see two problems with this.

First, what if your scorer is five feet tall and your shirt is XL?

Second, what if the gym is hosting two or more games per night (e.g. freshman, JV, and varsity), and each has its own official scorer? Do you seriously want three different people wearing the same shirt over the course of a night?
First - the AD buys one shirt - probably XL. Nobody cares how well it fits as they scorer will probably wear it over their own shirt anyway.

Second - I think we were talking about the shirt only being required at the Varsity level, and that was the direction I was taking.

I really don't see this as being that big of an issue, and it will help the crews as we often have 5 or 6 different people sitting at the table. Be nice to recognize the official scorer quickly and easily.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 04:21pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
First - the AD buys one shirt - probably XL. Nobody cares how well it fits as they scorer will probably wear it over their own shirt anyway.

Second - I think we were talking about the shirt only being required at the Varsity level, and that was the direction I was taking.

I really don't see this as being that big of an issue, and it will help the crews as we often have 5 or 6 different people sitting at the table. Be nice to recognize the official scorer quickly and easily.
Or, a pinney. One size fits nobody.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Did that survey include girls games? Or was it just in boys games?

As far as the scorer wearing the striped shirt - it's pretty simple: the AD of the school needs to buy a striped shirt and keep it with their table gear in the closet (or wherever they keep it). The scorer shows up for the Varsity game and it's sitting there waiting.

To really understand the implication of having or not having a shot clock the survey should have been two surveys - one for schools not using a shot clock and another for schools that are using a shot clock. I bet that 16 seconds number goes up a little.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 04:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
To really understand the implication of having or not having a shot clock the survey should have been two surveys - one for schools not using a shot clock and another for schools that are using a shot clock. I bet that 16 seconds number goes up a little.
Maybe, but in my career, I've worked only one game with a shot clock (JV college women's game), and the rest of them I've only had a half dozen games that involved any prolonged stall tactic. Most of them imploded, and none of them lasted more than a couple of minutes.

It seems to me the number of games in which this takes place is so small that it's not really a problem. IOW, it's a solution in search of a problem.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 04:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Official Scorer. Not Timer. Not Shot Clock Operator. Not Special Advisor To Game Management & Officials.
I'm picturing the crowd control guys standing around in stripes; or maybe they can wear a blue uniform similar to the deputy standing in the corner drinking coffee.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
My guess is that the NFHS only surveyed states that use NFHS rules (i.e., no shot clock). Even if it didn't, the number of states using a shot clock is very small....not enough to substantially affect the average.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
A survey showed that a shot occurs in high school basketball once every 16 seconds (though I'm sure that includes put-backs). I still maintain that a shot clock isn't necessary, and I'm glad we don't have to deal with one.

Still, there are fans who scream for a shot clock every single time there's stall ball in a tournament game -- which are televised here. We had one in February that went into double OT, and for six of the eight minutes, the ball was on someone's hip.

As for the rule change, I wonder how much we'll be told to enforce that at the sub-varsity level. Fashion Police: Table Precinct.
The shot clock would largely not affect most possessions of most games...but would be there to limit the extremes. Make it 45 seconds so most teams are unaffected by it at all but short enough to prevent true stall ball.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 05:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Post One Funny Thought, Get One Free ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
An idea for a title IX lawsuit...UNEQUAL BALL SIZE.
This is funny on one level, and really, really funny on a another level.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed May 09, 2012, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Scorer's uni and the fashionista

My wife keeps book for local high school, and while her favorite colors of dress are black and white, she will never, ever wear the "ref shirt" at the table. I joke with her from time to time when she questions calls (afterwards) that she should try the whistle sometime, but she says she would never even consider it because of the uniform I expect if forced, she will give up the book.
Old Wed May 09, 2012, 02:21pm
Archaic Power Monger

So for those of us in areas where grey is the officiating shirt, does the scorer still wear stripes or should they wear grey too? What about side panels? Oh the humanity.

I'm kind of surprised this is the big thing to come out of the rule changes meeting.
Old Wed May 09, 2012, 05:40pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
My wife keeps book for local high school, and while her favorite colors of dress are black and white, she will never, ever wear the "ref shirt" at the table. I joke with her from time to time when she questions calls (afterwards) that she should try the whistle sometime, but she says she would never even consider it because of the uniform I expect if forced, she will give up the book.
The perfect Mother's Day gift.
Old Thu May 10, 2012, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
it puts those states in jeopardy to have influence on rules in the NF.
This is only true when a state ignores a rule in place that isn't subject to an approved point for state adoption. Years ago, Fed baseball didn't allow metal cleats but Texas ignored that and allowed them. Texas reportedly lost their position on the rules committee. But they haven't in basketball just because they have a smaller coaching box that Fed basketball allows.

Do you have any examples of where the rules allow for state association adoption and the state that adopted it lost influence?
Old Thu May 10, 2012, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
This is only true when a state ignores a rule in place that isn't subject to an approved point for state adoption. Years ago, Fed baseball didn't allow metal cleats but Texas ignored that and allowed them. Texas reportedly lost their position on the rules committee. But they haven't in basketball just because they have a smaller coaching box that Fed basketball allows.

Do you have any examples of where the rules allow for state association adoption and the state that adopted it lost influence?
Exactly! The NFHS doesn't exclude states who chose any particular option where they've given the state the option. They only exclude states from the rules making process if they operate outside the set of options the NFHS rules give them.