The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 11, 2012, 09:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Exactly! The NFHS doesn't exclude states who chose any particular option where they've given the state the option. They only exclude states from the rules making process if they operate outside the set of options the NFHS rules give them.
And as of now, shot clocks are not an approved option. Have the states that use it lost their seats? Is one rule deviation enough to lose that seat?
Old Sat May 12, 2012, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
And as of now, shot clocks are not an approved option. Have the states that use it lost their seats? Is one rule deviation enough to lose that seat?
Yes, at least for California
Old Sat May 12, 2012, 11:42pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
One of our newspaper reporters asked that question to a interscholastic association official in Massachusetts, where the shot clocks exist. The reply: "It's no big deal."
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes. The states lose their seat over one deviation. I sure it takes a big one like this rather than some uniform waiver, but that is really their only way to maintain some amount of order. Otherwise, you'd have 100 completely different sets of "rules" (50 for each boys and girls).

IIRC, there are only about 8 states that actually use if for HS competition. It is not like the common press would have you believe that most states use it.
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

coincidence?

Struckhoff leaves.

Language clarified to make sense.
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

The Pope allows more dissent

Quote:
So if states that use the shot clock lose a seat, then the NFHS essentially excludes supporters of a high school shot clock from having a voice in making it an option..
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
So if states that use the shot clock lose a seat, then the NFHS essentially excludes supporters of a high school shot clock from having a voice in making it an option..
Maybe. But your assuming that everyone from those states thinks there should be a shot clock. Just because they have one doesn't mean the individuals support one.

And I doubt they lose their voice, they just lose a seat at the table that makes the decision. They probably still have representation.
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 02:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Maybe. But your assuming that everyone from those states thinks there should be a shot clock. Just because they have one doesn't mean the individuals support one.

And I doubt they lose their voice, they just lose a seat at the table that makes the decision. They probably still have representation.
I can find out, but I am under the impression that states that have decided not to be full members can attend the meetings and even speak at those meetings, they just cannot vote on rules proposals and cannot make proposals. I could be wrong about that on some level, but I can ask someone in the our state office if that is the case. I do know that they seem to go out of their way not to oppose NF Rules, but have modified rules to make it easier for some local issues that have come up, like modifying the uniform rules to not give Ts every time we have a basketball game.

Peace
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 06:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
This assumes a few things that can't be assumed.
1. That all supporters of the shot clock reside in states that use the shot clocks. I'm guessing there are a lot of people in Colorado, for example, who would like to see a shot clock at the high school level.
2. That no one in the states who use the shot clock has the ear of someone who is actually on the committee. See JRutledge's post.
3. That no state has decided not to use the shot clock in order to maintain their status on the rules committee. They support it, but don't use it in order to maintain their voting status. Membership in any organization often includes a requirement to adhere to the rules.

As Camron pointed out, little deviations (like uniform waivers or extended coaching boxes) probably won't do it, but using the shot clock, complete disregard for NFHS mechanics manuals, or altering the number of TFs required for DQ, probably would.

It's not unreasonable to require a minimal level of compliance to maintain full membership rights.
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As Camron pointed out,...
, complete disregard for NFHS mechanics manuals,....
I doubt that would do it. A lot of states use alternate mechanics...they are simply guidelines, not rules.
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 07:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

100% iaabo ...

Quote:
A lot of states use alternate mechanics.
Every high school, and most prep school, officials in the Constitution State use IAABO mechanics, yet we are allowed full representation in NFHS business.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 07:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
As Camron pointed out, little deviations (like uniform waivers or extended coaching boxes) probably won't do it, but using the shot clock, complete disregard for NFHS mechanics manuals, or altering the number of TFs required for DQ, probably would.

It's not unreasonable to require a minimal level of compliance to maintain full membership rights.
When Mary Struckoff was in her position with the NF, she came to our state and said that the NF does not care what mechanics states decide to use. And she gave an example of a certain state, which I am not going to not mention to offend anyone that wanted to do something very unique and the NF thought their mechanic was silly. But they did not care what they taught and it had nothing to do with membership. Mechanics books are guides and states can come up with their own procedures if they like towards mechanics. And as I have stated before, our state has not handed out Mechanics Manuals for almost a decade in any sport because what the NF does is considered outdated in many cases and hard to change. So when our state sees something that does not work, they change it to what does work.

Peace
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
When Mary Struckoff was in her position with the NF, she came to our state and said that the NF does not care what mechanics states decide to use. And she gave an example of a certain state, which I am not going to not mention to offend anyone that wanted to do something very unique and the NF thought their mechanic was silly. But they did not care what they taught and it had nothing to do with membership. Mechanics books are guides and states can come up with their own procedures if they like towards mechanics. And as I have stated before, our state has not handed out Mechanics Manuals for almost a decade in any sport because what the NF does is considered outdated in many cases and hard to change. So when our state sees something that does not work, they change it to what does work.

Peace
Let me guess:

State: Texas
Mechanic: Blowing the whistle upon officials entering the visual vicinity.

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun May 13, 2012, 07:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Let me guess:

State: Texas
Mechanic: Blowing the whistle upon officials entering the visual vicinity.

No, not the state of Texas.

Peace
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 10:29pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Where does a non-official get the black & white striped jersey anyway? sporting good store? Official's supplier only?

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball