The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 11:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
Where does a non-official get the black & white striped jersey anyway? sporting good store? Official's supplier only?
I am sure Google works on many computers and someone can get it from any number of places.

Peace
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 05:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

Prerequisite ...

Quote:
Where does a non-official get the black & white striped jersey anyway?
You first have to get a job at Foot Locker.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 05:57am
Esteemed Forum Member

Gets 'Em Every Time ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
No, not the state of Texas.
My turn:

State: Connecticut.
Mechanic: Shooter has foot touching three point line signal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon May 14, 2012, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
As Camron pointed out, little deviations (like uniform waivers or extended coaching boxes) probably won't do it, but using the shot clock, complete disregard for NFHS mechanics manuals, or altering the number of TFs required for DQ, probably would.
The way it was explained to me is that the NFHS categorizes rules based on "administrative" versus "playing" rules.

Rules about uniforms, officials' mechanics, etc, are considered administrative. Since modifying these rules should not fundamentally effect how the game is played, the NFHS doesn't care if you tweak them.

However, alterations to the "playing" rules, that could fundamentally effect how the game is played (e.g. shot clock, allowing illegal dribbles, changing how the pivot foot is established) is frowned upon and the "punishment" is the lack of vote that has been mentioned.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 01:40pm
Esteemed Participant

Since Washington has applied the shot clock, we have not had a vote on the rules changes, etc for many years. Now we have been told that the WIAA/WOA will be printing and distributing it's own mechanics manuals and POE's this summer, and we are being directed to use them and not the NFHS stuff. Not sure where that is headed, but I'm not liking it very much.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Since Washington has applied the shot clock, we have not had a vote on the rules changes, etc for many years. Now we have been told that the WIAA/WOA will be printing and distributing it's own mechanics manuals and POE's this summer, and we are being directed to use them and not the NFHS stuff. Not sure where that is headed, but I'm not liking it very much.
It could simply be a cost thing. The state can charge you just as much for membership and not have to spend the money on the NFHS books.....that would be many ten of thousands of dollars. They can distribute electronically for very little. If they distribute in paper, it can't be for costs since I double they could print the equivalent of the NFHS book for much less.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 05:21pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It could simply be a cost thing. The state can charge you just as much for membership and not have to spend the money on the NFHS books.....that would be many ten of thousands of dollars. They can distribute electronically for very little. If they distribute in paper, it can't be for costs since I double they could print the equivalent of the NFHS book for much less.
That's a nice thought...but that is not the reasoning I have been told, unfortunately.

Anyone else from Washington have info about this?
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 05:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Rocky,

Do they have to produce a book? Can they produce a place to review the information like on PowerPoint or a PDF file?

My state stopped giving books years ago and not much has changed or affected our training programs. And if you are tied to books from a body that does not run your state, what happens if your state wants to change something or thinks that something in that book is outdated or flawed? I will admit that in basketball we do not waiver much from the NF and their procedures, but in other sports there were several mistakes made at the highest level because we followed the NF books to the letter.

Peace
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 08:03pm
Esteemed Participant

Not sure if it will be an actual book or something online - just know that at our last association meeting this spring the Board was informed that the WIAA/WOA would be producing their own mechanics manual and we would be required to follow that...
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Thank goodness!! I begged my area's member of the Rules Committee to use this language when they made the change last season, and I was ignored. I didn't bother to re-submit it this year, but they changed it anyway!!

I honestly did not expect them to make this change. It's pretty much admitting that they screwed the pooch originally. But I'm very glad that they did -- for two reasons.

1) Obviously, it makes the rule better and removes the contradictions that we were supposed to officiate around all last season.

2) It shows that the committee listens to officials. Because you can be pretty darn sure that no coach or AD recognized all the issues that came from the change last year. So some official(s) somewhere got their attention and they were willing to correct a pretty big mistake.
You're welcome.
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 03:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This assumes a few things that can't be assumed.
1. That all supporters of the shot clock reside in states that use the shot clocks.
As Camron pointed out, little deviations (like uniform waivers or extended coaching boxes) probably won't do it, but using the shot clock, complete disregard for NFHS mechanics manuals, or altering the number of TFs required for DQ, probably would.

It's not unreasonable to require a minimal level of compliance to maintain full membership rights.
Your points are well-taken, but consider the following:

First, I think that people on the rules committee from a state that uses a shot clock probably personally endorse the shot clock. Otherwise the state association probably would not have selected them to represent the state's interests in the rules process.

Second, Does adopting the shot clock really rise to the level of disregard for NFHS rules? I can see sanctioning jurisdictions that want different playing rules for things such as eligibility, fouls and violations. But I see a shot clock is a different animal; the fundamental rules are not changed by a state deciding you have to hit the rim within 30 or 35 seconds.

Third, while realizing that adopting a shot clock may be a financial issue in some states, does not playing to a shot clock i high school put players at a disadvantage when it comes time for college?

It makes no sense to me that the NFHS does not allow a shot clock by state adoption. A shot clock does not alter fundamental rules of basketball.
Old Sun May 20, 2012, 06:09pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

I'm officially ready for the fall season. I wonder how many people will ask if I am the referee.

(And should I ever decide to trade my pens and laptop for a whistle, at least I have part of the uniform already.)

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun May 20, 2012, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
while realizing that adopting a shot clock may be a financial issue in some states, does not playing to a shot clock in high school put players at a disadvantage when it comes time for college?
IMO, not really. Many times rules are created with the majority in mind. The majority of high school basketball players aren't going to play at the next level. Those that do will have the time to adjust when they reach the next level and/or they play on club teams that use the shot clock in tournaments.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun May 20, 2012, 08:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

On The Other Hand ...

Quote:
I'm officially ready for the fall season. I wonder how many people will ask if I am the referee.
Or, how many will ask if you work at Foot Locker?

Old Sun May 27, 2012, 07:45pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Or, how many will ask if you work at Foot Locker?
It wouldn't surprise me, but I'd get a good laugh if anyone asks.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball