The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 01:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
It's a Title IX world and we're just pawns in the game.
I am not talking about legality or the law; I am talking about the attitude that what we call or what we do at the girl's side is really the same as what boy's do in the same sport. People get offended when you suggest they are primarily a girl's or women's officials when the reality is that many officials that work that side (not all) are incapable or do not have the ability to handle a boy's game. It is not different than suggesting someone that works youth ball could not handle a varsity game, but it is not politically incorrect to make that statement.

Peace
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 01:37pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And what is going to be the remedy? If they do not have a shirt what the heck are we going to be able to do about it in the first place?
I foresee a message from supervisors stating, don't deal with this one. Contact us, and let us deal with it (a standing order regarding "X"s on the floor).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Did that survey include girls games? Or was it just in boys games?
Not sure. My source didn't mention gender, so I can only assume it's across the board.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

How hard is it to have an X on the floor? We bought a moveable one that we put down in front of the table and our officials are fine with it.As to the scorer having to wear the black and white-guess I'm going to have to go shopping.Summer starts here in a month and a half.
Wonder if they'll be ok with us wearing the black and white over a school polo shirt?
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 02:04pm
Official & Member

Quote:
I am not talking about legality or the law; I am talking about the attitude that what we call or what we do at the girl's side is really the same as what boy's do in the same sport. People get offended when you suggest they are primarily a girl's or women's officials when the reality is that many officials that work that side (not all) are incapable or do not have the ability to handle a boy's game. It is not different than suggesting someone that works youth ball could not handle a varsity game, but it is not politically incorrect to make that statement.

Peace
and I think that's exactly the way the NFHS wants it...no difference between the two. The Fed is in the political correctness business. Maybe not the exact legal wording but that's the essence of Title IX
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 02:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Title XXVIII 1/2 ...

Quote:
No difference between the two.
This won't be true until everybody uses the same size basketball.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue May 08, 2012 at 02:54pm.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 02:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
and I think that's exactly the way the NFHS wants it...no difference between the two. The Fed is in the political correctness business. Maybe not the exact legal wording but that's the essence of Title IX
My position is not really necessarily about the National Federation thinks or wants. My position is how people in general do not want to admit there is a major difference in what happens on a basketball court between the genders. The National Federation does not control what we talk about here and that constant debate comes up all the time just on this forum.

Peace
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 02:45pm
Esteemed Participant

Boy field hockey star kicked off girls' team for being 'too good' | Fox News

Title IX cuts both ways, it would appear.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And what is going to be the remedy? If they do not have a shirt what the heck are we going to be able to do about it in the first place?
What - nobody on the crew brought a spare?

Somewhat seriously, the "penalty" would probably be the same as the one if there's no X on the floor in front of the official scorer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
As far as the scorer wearing the striped shirt - it's pretty simple: the AD of the school needs to buy a striped shirt and keep it with their table gear in the closet (or wherever they keep it). The scorer shows up for the Varsity game and it's sitting there waiting.
I can see two problems with this.

First, what if your scorer is five feet tall and your shirt is XL?

Second, what if the gym is hosting two or more games per night (e.g. freshman, JV, and varsity), and each has its own official scorer? Do you seriously want three different people wearing the same shirt over the course of a night?

Here's an idea: to make it clear that the official scorer is not an official, have the official scorer shirts with white stripes that are twice as wide as the black ones. (The rule will probably say "black and white vertical striped shirt", but make no reference to the width of the stripes. Personally, I liked to use a black and white horizontal striped rugby shirt.)
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 02:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Here's an idea: to make it clear that the official scorer is not an official, have the official scorer shirts with white stripes that are twice as wide as the black ones.
This will work just fine until the next officiating fad hits and the fetish with the greys ends:

wide stripes
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 02:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy ...

Quote:
To make it clear that the official scorer is not an official ...
... have the officials wear black shirts with white stripes, and have the official scorekeeper wear a white shirt with black stripes. Problem solved.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 03:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
What - nobody on the crew brought a spare?
I'm not giving a shirt to a scorer to wear. Personally, I don't *care* if the scorer has a striped shirt on or not.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 03:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPthink View Post
I'm not giving a shirt to a scorer to wear. Personally, I don't *care* if the scorer has a striped shirt on or not.
Yep, I'd rather see the scorer wearing home team colors and face paint than lend them one of my shirts and risk most of a game fee.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 03:27pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
One of the editorial revisions approved by the committee concerns changes made last year in a team-control foul. The following language will be added to Rule 4-19-7: “ . . . including a member of the throw-in team from the start of the throw-in until player control is obtained inbounds.”
Thank goodness!! I begged my area's member of the Rules Committee to use this language when they made the change last season, and I was ignored. I didn't bother to re-submit it this year, but they changed it anyway!!

I honestly did not expect them to make this change. It's pretty much admitting that they screwed the pooch originally. But I'm very glad that they did -- for two reasons.

1) Obviously, it makes the rule better and removes the contradictions that we were supposed to officiate around all last season.

2) It shows that the committee listens to officials. Because you can be pretty darn sure that no coach or AD recognized all the issues that came from the change last year. So some official(s) somewhere got their attention and they were willing to correct a pretty big mistake.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 03:37pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
This won't be true until everybody uses the same size basketball.
Great...now you just gave some attorney somewhere an idea for a title IX lawsuit...UNEQUAL BALL SIZE
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 03:45pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Now he's officially officially part of the crew.
Official Scorer. Not Timer. Not Shot Clock Operator. Not Special Advisor To Game Management & Officials.