The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

NFHS View of Shot Clock

INDIANAPOLIS, IN (May 8, 2012) — Participation and fan interest in high school basketball remain strong throughout the nation, and the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Basketball Rules Committee voted to retain one aspect of the sport that makes it unique from other levels of play.

At its April 16-18 meeting in Indianapolis, the committee considered a proposal to add a shot clock to the high school rules but agreed that the sport played by about one million boys and girls in approximately 18,000 high schools is functioning well without it.

Although a shot clock has been employed at the college level for many years, results of the questionnaire that is sent to coaches, officials and state association administrators across the country did not indicate a strong desire to use the clock at the high school level.

“In addition to the fact that there is some concern about the costs associated with the use of a shot clock, the committee also expressed a belief that the game is typically played with an up-tempo style even without a shot clock,” said Kent Summers, director of performing arts and sports at the NFHS. “In addition, the committee believes that coaches should have the option of a slower-paced game if they believe it makes their team more competitive in specific situations. This could be especially true for smaller schools with limited budgets, which comprise a significant number of the 18,000 basketball-playing schools. Since the NFHS writes rules for all sizes of schools and teams, it has to consider what is best for the masses.”

The committee did approve one rule change and two major editorial changes, which subsequently were approved by the NFHS Board of Directors.

Rule 2-12 will now require the official scorer to wear a black-and-white vertically striped garment. Previously, this was a recommendation for schools.

“The players, coaches and officials need to be able to quickly and easily identify the official scorer, and making this a requirement should assist in that regard,” Summers said.

One of the editorial revisions approved by the committee concerns changes made last year in a team-control foul. The following language will be added to Rule 4-19-7: “ . . . including a member of the throw-in team from the start of the throw-in until player control is obtained inbounds.”

The committee noted that the team-control rule change last season introduced an unnecessary level of complexity to a number of rules. This additional language will allow all rules affected by the team-control definition change last season to revert to previous verbiage.

The other editorial change is Rule 2-2-4, which expands the timeframe for state associations to intercede in the event of unusual incidents from after a game, to before and during a contest.

In addition, the Basketball Rules Committee approved four points of emphasis for the 2012-13 season: 1) closely guarded situations, 2) contact above the shoulders, 3) intentional fouls and 4) guidelines to enforce illegal contact. Points of emphasis are specific rules that need more attention by players, coaches and officials.

Basketball is the second-most popular sport for girls and third-most popular for boys at the high school level, according to the 2010-11 High School Athletics Participation Survey conducted by the NFHS, with 438,933 girls and 545,844 boys participating nationwide. The sport ranks first in school sponsorship of girls and boys teams with 17,767 schools sponsoring the sport for girls and 18,150 sponsoring the sport for boys.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 11:02am
Esteemed Participant

I would tend to agree with the committee about the shot clock in boys games. Washington State has a 35 second clock for boys and a 30 second for girls. It really was not a factor in any of the boys games I worked or watched this season as most of the boys teams play very up-tempo ball (whether they have the skill to or not). On the girls side, I like it. It can lead to some pretty lopsided scores, but in most cases that would happen even without the clock. It keeps girls teams from getting a 9 or 10 point lead and then stalling (see the Oregon State Championship game).
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 11:27am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
One of the editorial revisions approved by the committee concerns changes made last year in a team-control foul. The following language will be added to Rule 4-19-7: “ . . . including a member of the throw-in team from the start of the throw-in until player control is obtained inbounds.”

The committee noted that the team-control rule change last season introduced an unnecessary level of complexity to a number of rules. This additional language will allow all rules affected by the team-control definition change last season to revert to previous verbiage.
Easily the best thing they've done in years.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 11:35am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
I would tend to agree with the committee about the shot clock in boys games. Washington State has a 35 second clock for boys and a 30 second for girls. It really was not a factor in any of the boys games I worked or watched this season as most of the boys teams play very up-tempo ball (whether they have the skill to or not).
A survey showed that a shot occurs in high school basketball once every 16 seconds (though I'm sure that includes put-backs). I still maintain that a shot clock isn't necessary, and I'm glad we don't have to deal with one.

Still, there are fans who scream for a shot clock every single time there's stall ball in a tournament game -- which are televised here. We had one in February that went into double OT, and for six of the eight minutes, the ball was on someone's hip.

As for the rule change, I wonder how much we'll be told to enforce that at the sub-varsity level. Fashion Police: Table Precinct.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 11:38am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post

As for the rule change, I wonder how much we'll be told to enforce that at the sub-varsity level. Fashion Police: Table Precinct.
My guess is not at all. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this will be ignored in many areas of the country.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
My guess is not at all. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this will be ignored in many areas of the country.
Really, I'd guess this would be ignored outright at all levels...including varsity.

As far as the shot clock, I would just have it be something that can be used by state adoption.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue May 08, 2012, 11:48am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Really, I'd guess this would be ignored outright at all levels...including varsity.

As far as the shot clock, I would just have it be something that can be used by state adoption.
And what is going to be the remedy? If they do not have a shirt what the heck are we going to be able to do about it in the first place? Nice little change I guess, but not enforceable on many levels.

And here is the problem with state adoption, it puts those states in jeopardy to have influence on rules in the NF. Not sure everyone is jumping on board to eliminate their influence. I think that is the reason it is not adopted here.

Peace
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 11:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Here, like in many areas, there are a lot of official scorers who have been working these games since the Nixon administration. I doubt we'll be able to enforce this even in the varsity games. It'll be interesting to see, however.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 11:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

A Black And White Eagle ???

chseagle will now get his wish.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 11:57am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Link to article?
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 11:58am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
chseagle will now get his wish.
Now he's officially officially part of the crew.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Link to article?
NFHS | High School Basketball Continues Without Shot Clock
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 12:01pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
A survey showed that a shot occurs in high school basketball once every 16 seconds (though I'm sure that includes put-backs).

Did that survey include girls games? Or was it just in boys games?

As far as the scorer wearing the striped shirt - it's pretty simple: the AD of the school needs to buy a striped shirt and keep it with their table gear in the closet (or wherever they keep it). The scorer shows up for the Varsity game and it's sitting there waiting.

Last edited by rockyroad; Tue May 08, 2012 at 12:06pm.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 12:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Did that survey include girls games? Or was it just in boys games?
I doubt it. People even here try to act like girl's and boy's basketball is the same anyway. So why would we expect in this politically correct world to think that people would try to consider that things are actually different in basketball by gender?

Peace
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 01:22pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I doubt it. People even here try to act like girl's and boy's basketball is the same anyway. So why would we expect in this politically correct world to think that people would try to consider that things are actually different in basketball by gender?

Peace
It's a Title IX world and we're just pawns in the game.