Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Deserved or not?
Whack! 12 29.27%
Are you kidding? 29 70.73%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

For a state tournament game this call stunk. Period. Yes everyone has their own opinion...this is mine.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Maybe this official issued the T. Due to his stature, experience and reputation.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

BNR and Jeff hit this on the head. Many T's (most, maybe) are not the result of a single action, but the accumulated actions of a player. We don't know, in a vacuum, if this kid had already been warned (possibly more than once) about the taunting. We don't know exactly why R called the earlier double-T, but the fact that they DID tells me there's a whole lot more going on than what is described in the article.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
BNR and Jeff hit this on the head. Many T's (most, maybe) are not the result of a single action, but the accumulated actions of a player. We don't know, in a vacuum, if this kid had already been warned (possibly more than once) about the taunting. We don't know exactly why R called the earlier double-T, but the fact that they DID tells me there's a whole lot more going on than what is described in the article.
This maybe true. There could have been other situations leading up to this point.

It can also be assumed that the player was backpeddling to get into position on his team defensive posture and was looking to see where the ball is located. He was backpeddling!
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 10:11am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I do like the mechanics that this official used.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 10:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

I didn't mean to imply that I thought this guy was horrible or anything. But I'm not even certain he was really staring the guy down. In a situation like this, you'd really like a technical to call itself.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 10:17am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
This maybe true. There could have been other situations leading up to this point.

It can also be assumed that the player was backpeddling to get into position on his team defensive posture and was looking to see where the ball is located. He was backpeddling!
He was back-pedaling by the time the whistle was blown but before that he pushed the ball to the ground and then stared at his opponent.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 10:19am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

And you do not see the reaction of the other player he dunked on. That might have made it clear what was going on.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 10:20am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
... But I'm not even certain he was really staring the guy down. In a situation like this, you'd really like a technical to call itself.
You may be right Rich. But as with most plays like this it's hard to truly judge the official's actions without knowing all the variables that are in play. Could it be a bad 'T'? Sure. But I don't think we can judge its merits based solely on what we see in this video.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 10:54am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Having seen that Mayo video, those "allegations" were not "supported by video evidence.". What a joke.

The best part of the OJ Mayo saga was that his one year of playing H.S. basketball in West Virginia was his fifth year of playing H.S. basketball.

Mayo was living Kentucky when he played one year for his high school's varsity basketball team while still in jr. high school which is permitted in Kentucky. The next year he moved to Cincinnati, Ohio, and enrolled as a freshmen in a high school in Cincinnati, where he played varsity basketball for three years. The OhioHSAA ruled him ineligible to play his senior year because he had used up his eight semesters of high school eligiblity (two in Kentucky and six in Ohio). He then moved to West Virginia, where the West VirginiaHSAA ruled that he had two more semesters of eligiblity left. I guess they use that "new fangled math" in West Virginia.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
He was back-pedaling by the time the whistle was blown but before that he pushed the ball to the ground and then stared at his opponent.
BNR,

That very well could have been the case. A delay of game warning could have been an option.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And you do not see the reaction of the other player he dunked on. That might have made it clear what was going on.

Peace
The reaction I did see was two players attempting to get the ball after the dunk. A delay of game is my position.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 11:09am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The reaction I did see was two players attempting to get the ball after the dunk. A delay of game is my position.
Yep, they were in the video the entire time. Oh and when the whistle was blown, I bet you could see them off the camera too.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 11:10am
Esteemed Forum Member

They Call It Ciphering ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I guess they use that "new fangled math" in West Virginia.
And they get to marry their first cousins.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

This is taunting. The player gave the stare and postured up. However, is it enough for a T?
I would have to get a feel for the game before I say if this was justified. However, you need to be aware of who has a technical foul. I have been told by mentors and supervisors that the second T better be indisputable, and this one is debatable. As a first T I would not mind this. But a second, in playoffs, I would be looking to avoid this.
If the game goes into a brawl this kind of play would be scrutinized as not being called. If the official was seeing the game game getting out of hand then I can justify the call.
Most importantly what the hell is this kid doing? He already has a T and he is trying to show up the other team. Just get back on D!

What would you say to the player if you are saying there are ways to avoid calling the T?