The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   T-worthy or not? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/89769-t-worthy-not.html)

grunewar Tue Mar 06, 2012 07:10am

T-worthy or not?

Georgia star helps team reach state Final Four but is banned for his efforts | Prep Rally - Yahoo! Sports

Rich Tue Mar 06, 2012 08:26am

I read the article last night and I didn't see the video till this morning. I was expecting *something* from the player that got T'd up. Nope, still haven't seen even a bad reason for whacking him. Shame.

grunewar Tue Mar 06, 2012 08:46am

Didn't something similar (the T, not the action) happen to OJ Mayo a few yrs back and his HS went to court so he could continue to play.........

JRutledge Tue Mar 06, 2012 09:02am

You really need a couple of more options. I would like to see more of the court to say "Are you kidding?"

Peace

JetMetFan Tue Mar 06, 2012 09:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 830156)
Didn't something similar (the T, not the action) happen to OJ Mayo a few yrs back and his HS went to court so he could continue to play.........

From Wikipedia

In January 2007, Mayo allegedly assaulted referee Mike Lazo after being ejected from a Huntington High game vs. Capital High School at the Charleston Civic Center. According to West Virginia Secondary School Activities Commission rules, Mayo was suspended for two games. However, due to allegations supported by video evidence that Lazo had overreacted and faked the incident, a temporary restraining order was signed by Cabell County Circuit Court Judge Dan O'Hanlan, temporarily lifting the suspensions on Mayo and five other players suspended due to incidents at that game. However, shortly after, the restraining order was nullified and Mayo was suspended for three games, a punishment that Mayo described as "fair".

bainsey Tue Mar 06, 2012 09:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 830157)
You really need a couple of more options.

Agreed. I wouldn't go straight to "are you kidding?", but I may speak to the kid, if anything. Still, what are you doing by staring another kid down when you already have a T on the books?

Adam Tue Mar 06, 2012 09:29am

Having seen that Mayo video, those "allegations" were not "supported by video evidence.". What a joke.

twocentsworth Tue Mar 06, 2012 09:38am

this is NOT a T. this was a poor call.

Rufus Tue Mar 06, 2012 09:39am

This one was in my backyard so to speak, and having viewed it a couple of times I agree with Bainsey. The first comment I said to my wife after having viewed it was that I would've talked to him but not whacked him for that. Having read the description of the play before seeing the video I thought we'd see something blatant where he dunked then stood there posturing while also staring the other team down. Didn't see that in the video. Don't know everything that led to that call, of course, so judgment is based solely on what you can see in the video.

All that being said, I'd like to hear more about the first double technical that was called. Was the ball at the disposal of the thrower-in when the call was made, or before? What made it a technical rather than common foul?

Raymond Tue Mar 06, 2012 09:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 830161)
From Wikipedia

In January 2007, Mayo allegedly assaulted referee Mike Lazo after being ejected from a Huntington High game vs. Capital High School at the Charleston Civic Center. According to West Virginia Secondary School Activities Commission rules, Mayo was suspended for two games. However, due to allegations supported by video evidence that Lazo had overreacted and faked the incident, a temporary restraining order was signed by Cabell County Circuit Court Judge Dan O'Hanlan, temporarily lifting the suspensions on Mayo and five other players suspended due to incidents at that game. However, shortly after, the restraining order was nullified and Mayo was suspended for three games, a punishment that Mayo described as "fair".

I've saw the video back when this was in the news. There was no "faking" by Lazo (that may not be the correct spelling of his name). Mayo most definitely earned his suspension. I was reading the WV blogs back then and no one really disputed what Mayo did, they instead were trying to justify Mayo's actions in response to "poor" officiating.

Scrapper1 Tue Mar 06, 2012 09:42am

I can see the "staredown", but don't think it's T-worthy. I see what the official saw that triggered the call. I just don't think it's the appropriate call in that particular situation. JMO.

Raymond Tue Mar 06, 2012 09:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufus (Post 830172)
This one was in my backyard so to speak, and having viewed it a couple of times I agree with Bainsey. The first comment I said to my wife after having viewed it was that I would've talked to him but not whacked him for that. Having read the description of the play before seeing the video I thought we'd see something blatant where he dunked then stood there posturing while also staring the other team down. Didn't see that in the video. Don't know everything that led to that call, of course, so judgment is based solely on what you can see in the video.

All that being said, I'd like to hear more about the first double technical that was called. Was the ball at the disposal of the thrower-in when the call was made, or before? What made it a technical rather than common foul?

I'm gonna assume that the ball was not yet at anyone's disposal on the double-T. And if there was ongoing tension throughout the game then "staring down" may have been enough to warrant a T. There may have been a couple of other incidents where the officials warned players they were close to crossing the line.

JetMetFan Tue Mar 06, 2012 09:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufus (Post 830172)

There's another thread on our site about this where I posted part of another news story. Apparently the two teams had been trash-talking during the game so that obviously had something to do with it.

As for the double technicals, I've been looking for video but haven't found any to see whether that was handled correctly. I'm shocked nothing has been posted on YouTube by someone from either school.

Raymond Tue Mar 06, 2012 09:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 830177)
I'm gonna assume that the ball was not yet at anyone's disposal on the double-T. And if there was ongoing tension throughout the game then "staring down" may have been enough to warrant a T. There may have been a couple of other incidents where the officials warned players they were close to crossing the line.

Just watched the video. As stated by others, nothing that would be T-worthy in a vacuum. But we don't know what else has happened. Don't know his name, but I've been to a couple camps with the guy who called the 'T'. He is a college official who I know has access to some quality mentoring and training. So right now, until I hear any further details, I'm gonna assume he had good reason to pull the trigger at this point in the game.

JRutledge Tue Mar 06, 2012 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 830178)
There's another thread on our site about this where I posted part of another news story. Apparently the two teams had been trash-talking during the game so that obviously had something to do with it.

Many Ts are not called in a bubble, they are called with consideration to other aspects of the game and previous events. It is possible that this was the most minor of his actions but he did not take heed to other warnings or being addressed.

Peace