Whack! 12 29.27%
Are you kidding? 29 70.73%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 03:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
That's the post that finally convinced me to put you on ignore. Long overdue...
LOL!!!

Peace
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 03:47pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post
While the official may not have spoken, I think it's a safe bet that the AJC reporter interviewed either coaches/AD or players to get the official explanation of the ejection. On the other hand, I know nothing of the AJC and their journalistic integrity. I would hope they fact check their stories and use multiple sources before going to press. On the other hand, maybe journalism has gone out the door as in so many other places.
That article says nothing about why the player was ejected. It just gives the coach whining about what he doesn't think his player did. So there is no verification of anything here...

Even if the coach had said something along the lines of "He (the referee) told me..." it still would not be verification of anything. Using what one aggrieved party claims someone else said is not verification.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 04:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
That article says nothing about why the player was ejected. It just gives the coach whining about what he doesn't think his player did. So there is no verification of anything here...

Even if the coach had said something along the lines of "He (the referee) told me..." it still would not be verification of anything. Using what one aggrieved party claims someone else said is not verification.
Exactly. I had to file a report this year about a dispute with some events with a school (AD and Principal) and the coach clearly misrepresented to his AD what I said to him directly in an explanation about a kid that got a T that resulted in his 5th foul. They literally tried to explain it away by saying he said "freakin" to me directly instead of the other word that starts with the same letter. Not only did the coach ask me what happened, I told him word for word what his player said so that there would not be any confusion. And that was in a report to the state, not a newspaper or media member.

I tend to not trust anything a coach says when they are trying to justify behavior of their players and sometimes themselves.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

I hate how officials can jump to a conclusion that a call like this is right or wrong. There could have been a lot leading up to this incident and this pushed it over the end. Why question a fellow official? He is there for a reason.

-Josh
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 04:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
I hate how officials can jump to a conclusion that a call like this is right or wrong. There could have been a lot leading up to this incident and this pushed it over the end. Why question a fellow official? He is there for a reason.

-Josh
Eh, I'm not a fan of the "striped wall." I despise it in other professions and there's no reason not to have a discussion to try to make us better officials.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Eh, I'm not a fan of the "striped wall." I despise it in other professions and there's no reason not to have a discussion to try to make us better officials.
I respect that, and would not defend officials blindly across the board... but hanging these guys out by assuming this is a bad call (or the two posts that would have liked to see the T from a different official ... ) is patently unfair - we weren't there, we have extremely minimal information AND some of the information we do have comes from an extremely biased source.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 05:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I respect that, and would not defend officials blindly across the board... but hanging these guys out by assuming this is a bad call (or the two posts that would have liked to see the T from a different official ... ) is patently unfair - we weren't there, we have extremely minimal information AND some of the information we do have comes from an extremely biased source.
As a state clinician and president of an association and board member of other groups, I do not like to look at things through a narrow point of view as well. There are a lot of good teaching points from this play and I would have asked the official several questions as to why they came to this conclusion. There answer would tell me more than what I thought I saw.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 07:42pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
From Wikipedia

In January 2007, Mayo allegedly assaulted referee Mike Lazo after being ejected from a Huntington High game vs. Capital High School at the Charleston Civic Center. According to West Virginia Secondary School Activities Commission rules, Mayo was suspended for two games. However, due to allegations supported by video evidence that Lazo had overreacted and faked the incident, a temporary restraining order was signed by Cabell County Circuit Court Judge Dan O'Hanlan, temporarily lifting the suspensions on Mayo and five other players suspended due to incidents at that game. However, shortly after, the restraining order was nullified and Mayo was suspended for three games, a punishment that Mayo described as "fair".
I wonder who edited the entry.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 09:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
That's the post that finally convinced me to put you on ignore. Long overdue...
You'll find yourself rolling your eyes less often.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

You gotta wonder why this player was in the game to begin with? He had gotten one technical already and the game wasn't in doubt. Especially, if as some have suggested, considering he might have had a couple of questionable actions before the actual T was issued.

So either the coach thought his player could continue to push the limits or this was an isolated incident and the referee called a quick one.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
You gotta wonder why this player was in the game to begin with? He had gotten one technical already and the game wasn't in doubt. Especially, if as some have suggested, considering he might have had a couple of questionable actions before the actual T was issued.

So either the coach thought his player could continue to push the limits or this was an isolated incident and the referee called a quick one.
They were up 42-35 when the kid was tossed, with over 14 minutes remaining in the game.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 10:42am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post
While the official may not have spoken, I think it's a safe bet that the AJC reporter interviewed either coaches/AD or players to get the official explanation of the ejection. On the other hand, I know nothing of the AJC and their journalistic integrity. I would hope they fact check their stories and use multiple sources before going to press. On the other hand, maybe journalism has gone out the door as in so many other places.

Reading the comments on the original AJC story provides some context, though it all has to be taken with a very large grain of salt.

If I did this properly this link is to the AJC story and not the Yahoo report that was linked previously.

Milton coach miffed over Mann’s ejection; Georgia signee can’t play in semifinals for final | Prep Zone: High School Sports

Since when are Players, Coaches, and ADs the experts on the Rules?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 11:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Since when are Players, Coaches, and ADs the experts on the Rules?

MTD, Sr.
Since reporters could be counted on to get the facts straight before printing an article.