The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy25 View Post
As a spectator I understand to an extent what he did, but I don't know what they said either. I think it shows thin skin. Players/coaches get heckled all the time, why are officials above this and untouchable? Just looking from another view point, coaches and players have to answer for their mistakes, why not officials? Not saying he did bad during the game because I didn't watch it. I've always wanted to see officials be open to the media, not about specific calls, but for questioning and comments. People would get more insight on what the thought process is behind certain things.
This isn't about officials having to answer for their mistakes. This is about two fans who thought they were untouchable and could say what they wanted to.

As for your suggestion, the only thing that would come from officials being interviewed by the media is that more fans would post that time honored comment, "The refs think the game is about them."

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
You don't think people at that level are going to take care of an idiot fan who is saying obscene comments (sexual/racial/ethic slurs, etc) loud and clear enough to be identified?
Come on, how do we know any sexual, racial, ethic slurs occurred? This is quite a reach. I belive if those things happened. Someone other than Mr. Hess would have taken care of it. I know I would have if I was in the stands witnessing this behavior.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 07:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy25 View Post
As a spectator I understand to an extent what he did, but I don't know what they said either. I think it shows thin skin. Players/coaches get heckled all the time, why are officials above this and untouchable? Just looking from another view point, coaches and players have to answer for their mistakes, why not officials? Not saying he did bad during the game because I didn't watch it. I've always wanted to see officials be open to the media, not about specific calls, but for questioning and comments. People would get more insight on what the thought process is behind certain things.
This just shows a lot of ignorance on your part. Players/coaches a lot of times address issues with officials about things fans do. I have even had game management ask me and my partners to watch out for certain behavior of student sections and to tell them if they are going over the top. Actually they expect us to address it or to monitor certain actions and comments. So you have no idea what you are talking about really if you think these things are not addressed at many levels. My state during the playoffs has a required statement that must be read before every contest about fan behavior and many conferences do the same during the regular season. And if there is a problem with fans we as officials are instructed to remove problems from the stands. It is not like he went up into the stands and got rid of the guys, he has security and the police to address this issue.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This just shows a lot of ignorance on your part. Players/coaches a lot of times address issues with officials about things fans do. I have even had game management ask me and my partners to watch out for certain behavior of student sections and to tell them if they are going over the top. Actually they expect us to address it or to monitor certain actions and comments. So you have no idea what you are talking about really if you think these things are not addressed at many levels. My state during the playoffs has a required statement that must be read before every contest about fan behavior and many conferences do the same during the regular season. And if there is a problem with fans we as officials are instructed to remove problems from the stands. It is not like he went up into the stands and got rid of the guys, he has security and the police to address this issue.

Peace
This goes to show that game managment should have more staff on hand to handle those situations.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
Come on, how do we know any sexual, racial, ethic slurs occurred? This is quite a reach. I belive if those things happened. Someone other than Mr. Hess would have taken care of it. I know I would have if I was in the stands witnessing this behavior.
I thought we were talking in a more general sense...not specific to what the Mr. Hess did...your reply to JRut, saying you would ignore racial/sexual slurs or at this level, made it seem like you believe those type of comments are routinely ignored or that you would ignore them. I got that sense from your "sticks and stones" bit...if I was wrong then I apologize.

As far as what Mr. Hess did, we don't know his side of the story, nor what he heard say. We only know what the fans told the local media what they said. The only thing we DO know is Mr. Hess should have gone through game management and had them deal with the fans.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I thought we were talking in a more general sense...not specific to what the Mr. Hess did...your reply to JRut, saying you would ignore racial/sexual slurs or at this level, made it seem like you believe those type of comments are routinely ignored or that you would ignore them. I got that sense from your "sticks and stones" bit...if I was wrong then I apologize.

As far as what Mr. Hess did, we don't know his side of the story, nor what he heard say. We only know what the fans told the local media what they said. The only thing we DO know is Mr. Hess should have gone through game management and had them deal with the fans.
There is more than one way to handle a situation.

1. I can include the behavior in my report after the game. Silently bring attention to the situation with the University and allow them to handle it.

2. I would do this at do this at the high school level too. File a report with the state and allow them to address the behavior. (At the high school level most scorekeeper, timers work for the school district) So if i hear it they can hear it too.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 07:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You do not know what they said and we cannot assume that those things were not said. I know I just posed the question because I know of situations where things were said that were of that nature. I know I would not hesitate to get rid of a fan in those cases.

I also find it funny that people have standards for ejecting players or coaches if they use a certain word, but we are supposed to just turn the other cheek in a educational environment that would not be acceptable in any other aspect of life.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 07:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
This goes to show that game managment should have more staff on hand to handle those situations.
I cannot speak for this situation, but attending the college and pro games I have in the past, there are a lot of those individuals around than what we would see at the HS level in most cases. Some places at the HS level have several police officers at games and other places have just teachers or administrators that are hard to find in a big crowd. As I said I saw a police officer that was removing the men from the arena.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 08:10pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
ur right....Karl Hess is a freaking clown!
What makes you say this? Personal vendetta or something?

Wonder if you would make derogatory comments about another official if your real name showed rather than 'twocentsworth'.

I don't know Karl Hess personally ... but he sure works a LOT of games for someone who's a clown.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You do not know what they said and we cannot assume that those things were not said. I know I just posed the question because I know of situations where things were said that were of that nature. I know I would not hesitate to get rid of a fan in those cases.

I also find it funny that people have standards for ejecting players or coaches if they use a certain word, but we are supposed to just turn the other cheek in a educational environment that would not be acceptable in any other aspect of life.

Peace
1. How can we assume they were said?

2. It is indeed funny.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Honestly, I was hoping that the incident could have been handled in a more appropriate manner.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 08:53pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Honestly, I was hoping that the incident could have been handled in a more appropriate manner.
Appropriate by who's standard's? Yours? How would you know what was appropriate unless you knew what was said that led to the ejection? I think most (read: ALL) officials...here or anywhere would give Hess the benefit of the doubt. He's probably earned that much based on his stature, experience and reputation.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Sun Feb 19, 2012 at 08:56pm.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Appropriate by who's standard's? Yours? How would you know what was appropriate unless you knew what was said that led to the ejection? I think most (read: ALL) officials...here or anywhere would give Hess the benefit of the doubt. He's probably earned that much based on his stature, experience and reputation.
Look here guy, You damn sure don't wait until the second half to address this behavior if it warrants getting tossed.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 09:25pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Look here guy, You damn sure don't wait until the second half to address this behavior if it warrants getting tossed.
Really guy? When did the behavior start? How could you have any opinion on when to address it? Unless you were sitting within earshot, you have no clue when or how it should be addressed. How do you come on an officials' discussion board and rip a highly regarded DI official without a clue as to what lead up to his actions?
Old Sun Feb 19, 2012, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Really guy? When did the behavior start? How could you have any opinion on when to address it? Unless you were sitting within earshot, you have no clue when or how it should be addressed. How do you come on an officials' discussion board and rip a highly regarded DI official without a clue as to what lead up to his actions?
Once again GUY, I have not ripped Mr. Hess,

1. I have stated I wish it could have been handled in a less publicized manner.

2. Just like you identify a problem player is the say concept towards problem spectators. You identify it early and put them on notice.

Last edited by truerookie; Sun Feb 19, 2012 at 09:34pm.