The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 01:38am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Let me ask you a question. Did Hess get suspended? If not why?

I really do not care what he tells the public if nothing changes it must not have been seen as a big no, no as some would like to make it.

Peace
Apparently it can be wrong, and not be a mistake worthy of a suspension.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 02:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Apparently it can be wrong, and not be a mistake worthy of a suspension.
I agree and I doubt that anyone really cares that much considering who Hess is and what he has accomplished. And at the end of the day, "Why did Hess do what he did?" The answer, "Because he can."

Peace
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 02:28am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
I agree and I doubt that anyone really cares that much considering who Hess is and what he has accomplished. And at the end of the day, "Why did Hess do what he did?" The answer, "Because he can."

Peace
That is not a reason.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 03:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
So basically it has been proven that he didn't follow protocol, and your only defense has been "You weren't there", or "You haven't been in staff meetings", etc. We don't need to have been there or sat in staff meetings, we're going off of what the ACC coordinator said, which is that Hess didn't handle it properly. Then you just give the old "Because he can". I "can" go whack a coach in my game tomorrow right off the bat without them saying anything, but it doesn't mean that I'm right. Just because you can do something doesn't mean it is correct.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 03:13am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
That is not a reason.
Actually it is. It might not be fair, but life is not fair.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 03:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
So basically it has been proven that he didn't follow protocol, and your only defense has been "You weren't there", or "You haven't been in staff meetings", etc. We don't need to have been there or sat in staff meetings, we're going off of what the ACC coordinator said, which is that Hess didn't handle it properly. Then you just give the old "Because he can". I "can" go whack a coach in my game tomorrow right off the bat without them saying anything, but it doesn't mean that I'm right. Just because you can do something doesn't mean it is correct.
You obviously did not read this thread or my comments in total. We were talking about "we were not there" in the context of what comments got the fans/former players ejected and if they should have been ejected. That is a little different from what procedure was followed or not.

And also they said the procedure was not followed properly, not that it was Hess was totally wrong or that he did not have a reason to eject the fans. And the "Because I can" was in jest and sarcastic. Honestly there are people that can do things based on their background that others cannot. If you do not know that, then maybe you have not been around long enough. You should know how we have people that get upset over mechanics or signals that officials use not listed in the book and they do not lose anything for not following "protocol." Well that can apply here as well. Of course the ACC might not have been happy, but what are they going to do about it? And even stated that they need to re-communciate which to me means they did not do the job correctly the first time, so we have to tell everyone what that policy was to cover our behinds. If a policy is clear, then say "We made it clear to all officials what to do and Hess was wrong for not following them or ignoring them" No they have to re-communicate something that was "clear" right? Sounds to me they were not happy but not jumping off a bridge either because it was not followed to the letter.

Honestly this is much to do about nothing in the end. I have seen fans ejected the same way in HS and small college games without someone going to GM to do the dirty work. Not something I recommend, but I have seen it done and no one got upset or made a public statement.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Mon Feb 20, 2012 at 03:29am.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

Smile Hess Is A Shrink

Karl Hess is a shrink and his office is about 5 miles away for me. If you guys will take up a collection, I will go by and let him tell me during a mental session what was said. $150 an hour during the the off season is what he charges. Office closed November to April.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 07:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

You're Outta Here ???

Quote:
We as officials are instructed to remove problems from the stands.
Here in my little corner of Connecticut, we are instructed to have the problems removed from the stands. I would never give an unruly fan the old baseball "You're Outta Here" heave-ho signal. Nor have I ever observed any official use this signal in regard to a fan situation in over thirty years of officiating high school basketball. Of course, I've never officiated an NCAA Division I game, so I really shouldn't comment on what goes on with the "big boys".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 08:42am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
Corchiani also admitted in his tweets that they always get on the officials. But then complained that they were embarrassed in front of their children.
Gugliotta showed his maturity by tipping his cap to the crowd as he was leaving.

Fine example they set for their kids.
If they hadn't been acting like jackasses in the first place, their children might not have been embarrassed. In fact, it is very possible that their behavior up until the ejection was MORE embarrassing.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
If they hadn't been acting like jackasses in the first place, their children might not have been embarrassed. In fact, it is very possible that their behavior up until the ejection was MORE embarrassing.
Exactly !!

Add the embarrassing comments by AD Yow.... and you see what's deemed acceptable in Raleigh.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 09:39am
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
Exactly !!

Add the embarrassing comments by AD Yow.... and you see what's deemed acceptable in Raleigh.
I wouldn't paint with a broad brush here. Certainly, they were surprising comments. What WOULD be interesting would be an ESPN article that chronicles TFs of those two dolts from HS through the end of their careers. But, that would be too much work.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 09:45am
Aleve Titles to Others

Here is an interesting article on the event

NCAA Referee's Ejection of Fans Belies a Greater Problem with Sports Culture | Bleacher Report
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Now that the background has come to light. What have I learned from this interaction with individuals on this board.

1. They love their fellow officials.

2. They believe because of your (stature, experience, and reputation) it gives you a free pass to do whatever you want. Because you know others will not challenge you on your behavior.

3. They will attack you personally when you don't see things their way.

4. Once it's confirmed they are wrong, they still try to spin it to make you believe you are still wrong.

5. The discussions on the forum are enlightening and gives you a different perspective on how others view not only officiating but society as a whole. I personally may not agree with others at times. I take what they say into consideration.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 10:39am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
Now that the background has come to light. What have I learned from this interaction with individuals on this board.

1. They love their fellow officials.

2. They believe because of your (stature, experience, and reputation) it gives you a free pass to do whatever you want. Because you know others will not challenge you on your behavior.

3. They will attack you personally when you don't see things their way.

4. Once it's confirmed they are wrong, they still try to spin it to make you believe you are still wrong.

5. The discussions on the forum are enlightening and gives you a different perspective on how others view not only officiating but society as a whole. I personally may not agree with others at times. I take what they say into consideration.
How big of you to take the high road.

I just can't find evidence for 2-4 in this thread.

2: No one said he got a free pass, but the benefit of the doubt until more evidence came to light. It was also noted that he can get away with things that other, newer officials with less built-up credibility can.

3. I didn't see any personal attacks against you. A few face palms, perhaps, but no personal attacks. If you took it that way, you've got thinner skin than some have accused Hess of having.

4. This is just ridiculous, but if you could point to a post in this thread where someone spins obvious evidence against their opinion, I'll be happy to silently consider it.

But apparently it makes you feel better to dump on officials to boost your ego. Just like a middle school crowd, but I'm ok with that, and I'm done.

Last edited by Adam; Mon Feb 20, 2012 at 10:43am.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2012, 10:54am
Archaic Power Monger

42. He may not have handled it per procedure but there's still nothing to suggest he was wrong to have them removed.

Edited to add obligatory smiley.