The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

CBS showed a montage of 'bad call' while talking to the Washington coach, but, I thought it was a very good called game tonight. Seemed fair for both teams.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

actually, no, I am hoping he is coming...I am trying to explain all the calls that folks were saying were bad tonight, telling them they were the right calls

The Garcia takedown of Nate, etc...all of those were legal plays, and I hope he comes to the Austin region on Sunday...he did a great job tonight.

Some of those UK fans don't understand. I was telling them that the montage that CBS showed was bogus and that the calls tonight were fair. The crew did a great job tonight. I hope UK gets them tomorrow night for our Utah game.

Thanks guys for helping see things differently.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!!! You come in here a few days ago, questioning the man's integrity as an official, and surprise, surprise, when he isn't officiating a UK game it turns out to be a fair contest. So are you trying to prove that he screws UK, or are you willing to admit that perhaps, just perhaps, your affinity for the white and blue colors your judgement as to Hess's credibility?

It really is March Madness for a reason.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

i realized tonight that Hess is just like any official...he makes calls that are bad, but, you have to play through them

quite frankly i was shocked at the call that was made on the Garcia takedown of Nate, but, it doesn't do any good to complain...even though it was his 3rd.

It's best to say that they do a great job and just move on...it doesn't do any good to complain.

They did a great job tonight! And this is the truth.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

I don't think anybody has to worry about Carl Hess showing up to any NCAA tournament game this weekend. Unless the NCAA has changed their policy, an official can be assigned to a regional semifinal or regional final, but not both.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Question Fanboy

Quote:
Originally posted by TubbyRules
i realized tonight that Hess is just like any official...he makes calls that are bad, but, you have to play through them

quite frankly i was shocked at the call that was made on the Garcia takedown of Nate, but, it doesn't do any good to complain...even though it was his 3rd.

It's best to say that they do a great job and just move on...it doesn't do any good to complain.

How would you know?
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

and for the record...WFAN out of New York is editing a tape of the UL/Washington 'debacle' as they called it, and sending it to the NCAA complete woth voiceovers describing the rules and how they were broken on numerous plays...

I still think it was a great game by the crew though...they did a great job.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 03:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
and for the record...WFAN out of New York is editing a tape of the UL/Washington 'debacle' as they called it, and sending it to the NCAA complete woth voiceovers describing the rules and how they were broken on numerous plays...

I still think it was a great game by the crew though...they did a great job.
Now that proves it. Guys who think the Boston Red Sox could not possibly beat the New York Yankees last year are very credible on officiating in the NCAA Tournament. Riiigggghhhttt!!!!!

Peace
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay, let's start a petition. We get 10,000 signatures from basketball officials of all levels asking CBS, ESPN, WFAN and other sports media outlets to send their broadcasters to officiate some games. We get to tape them, with voiceovers, and critique their performance. We then edit all the footage into an hour-long "highlights" video that they must agree to broadcast. We'll give them something that they might be able to handle, like an 8th grade girls tournament, and see how they do. We can assign Billy Packer, Bill Walton and Dickie V to work the final game. That is, if they haven't cancelled the tournament before they get that far.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I've got to hand it to you. It takes some stones to come back after the last exchange and admit that your judgement may have been wrong. That's unheard of behavior from a fan on this site. I'm taking you off my troll list
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 04:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Frankly, BITS, I'm not convinced he's not talking out of his a$$. I sense some strong sarcasm in his posts. But, I might just be skeptical.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 04:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by bballrob
Quote:
Originally posted by aces88
I don't think anybody has to worry about Carl Hess showing up to any NCAA tournament game this weekend. Unless the NCAA has changed their policy, an official can be assigned to a regional semifinal or regional final, but not both.
Is this a change, or have I had this wrong all along? I thought that each weekend, you could do a game each round, meaning 1 game in the round of 64, 1 game in the round of 32, 1 regional semi followed by a regional final. I thought that it was only on the last weekend when they went to 9 different officals for the final 4, i.e., 3 guys on one Semi, 3 on the other, and then 3 different guys in the title game.
That is the way I understand the assigning process as well.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
Okay, I gotta say, as a transplanted New Yorker who is a big fan of WFAN, if they ARE doing as he says they are, I am pretty disappointed. What, do they think that the NCAA missed the game? That there weren't numerous pairs of eyes much more trained than those of WFAN watching the game specifically for the officiating? I hope he is wrong. To think that broadcast outlets should start holding themselves up as the bastions of officiating evaluation makes me wanna puke. Heck, maybe they could even get Doug Gottleib to throw in his two cents, or half cent, as the case may be.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 04:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

One more thing about Tubby's "turnaround" here. Notice the team that won the game is from Kentucky, and is coached by the former UK coach.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Frankly, BITS, I'm not convinced he's not talking out of his a$$. I sense some strong sarcasm in his posts. But, I might just be skeptical.
Only time will tell, I guess. But I'm willing to cut him some slack for the present.